Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I also use my K-70 for astrophotography, Iíve done it since I got it in December 2016. I always use the astrotracer program with some twists. There are both the night vision (red screen) and the brightness adjustment, are you sure itís not dimmed to -2 on the display? I canít remember the default settings since Iíve changed them to fit my own preferences.
You should have no problems focusing on a bright star using liveview in the Astrotracer progam.
Personally, Iíve disabled the ISO and long shutter noise reduction, if you go above a certain number of seconds (50 or 60), the camera will shoot an additional dark frame with the same exposure time.
I canít remember if Iíve seen you in the PF Astrophotography group, otherwise drop by and ask away - we are ready to assist
Shot with my K-70/DA*300/O-GPS1, 35x10sec, ISO1600.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
05-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
I also use my K-70 for astrophotography, Iíve done it since I got it in December 2016. I always use the astrotracer program with some twists. There are both the night vision (red screen) and the brightness adjustment, are you sure itís not dimmed to -2 on the display? I canít remember the default settings since Iíve changed them to fit my own preferences.
You should have no problems focusing on a bright star using liveview in the Astrotracer program.

Astrotracer is not a problem, provided I get the calibration correct it works perfectly

Thanks for the comments ... the dimming factor I'll look into, I hadn't considered it.

-pause to look in bag -

Nope, set to "Off"

Are you using the "Astrophoto" default User Mode, U3 on the K-70, which was the subject of my original query, or are those the settings you've altered?
05-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Astrotracer is not a problem, provided I get the calibration correct it works perfectly

Thanks for the comments ... the dimming factor I'll look into, I hadn't considered it.

-pause to look in bag -

Nope, set to "Off"

Are you using the "Astrophoto" default User Mode, U3 on the K-70, which was the subject of my original query, or are those the settings you've altered?
Iíve used the original astrotracer settings most of the time. Disabling the noise reduction is after getting an equatorial mount allowing for longer exposure times with my 200 & 300mm lenses.
Sometimes I crank up the ISO to 6.400 or even 12.800 to increase the sensitivity, it will also affect what is shown in liveview.
What focal length are you using? Shorter will be more difficult due to the smaller stars, try to focus on Venus if itís still visible to you.
05-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Iíve used the original astrotracer settings most of the time. Disabling the noise reduction is after getting an equatorial mount allowing for longer exposure times with my 200 & 300mm lenses.
Sometimes I crank up the ISO to 6.400 or even 12.800 to increase the sensitivity, it will also affect what is shown in liveview.
What focal length are you using? Shorter will be more difficult due to the smaller stars, try to focus on Venus if itís still visible to you.

It's not the "Astrotracer" settings I'm interested in, it's the "Astrophoto" settings, User Mode U3 on both the K-70 and the KP.

I'm using a range of lenses from an 8mm fisheye, through 10-20mm and 18-55mm zooms, a 28mm f/2 and a 35mm f/1.9, a 50mm f/1.4 then on to my 70-200mm f/2.8 ... plenty of aperture to grab the light with, the LiveView screen simply goes dim when I choose the default User Mode U3 : "Astrophoto".

Failing any specific information regarding this default feature I'll stick with setting up using the "B" mode then rotate the Mode dial one click to U3 to take advantage of the results of these settings, even if I can't see anything on the screen when I press the button

05-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not the "Astrotracer" settings I'm interested in, it's the "Astrophoto" settings, User Mode U3 on both the K-70 and the KP.

I'm using a range of lenses from an 8mm fisheye, through 10-20mm and 18-55mm zooms, a 28mm f/2 and a 35mm f/1.9, a 50mm f/1.4 then on to my 70-200mm f/2.8 ... plenty of aperture to grab the light with, the LiveView screen simply goes dim when I choose the default User Mode U3 : "Astrophoto".

Failing any specific information regarding this default feature I'll stick with setting up using the "B" mode then rotate the Mode dial one click to U3 to take advantage of the results of these settings, even if I can't see anything on the screen when I press the button
Sorry kypfer, the Astrophoto program and Astrotracer functionality has merged into one in my head because I always have the Astrotracer functionality enabled when using the Astrophoto program U3 on my K-70
I'm hoping for clear skies tonight, I'll check with my 10-17mm fisheye and my DA*300 @f4.
Perhaps a silly question, but have you installed the newest firmware? 1.11 Not that I believe it matters, just to rule that out
05-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Perhaps a silly question, but have you installed the newest firmware? 1.11 Not that I believe it matters, just to rule that out

Yes, both cameras have v1.11 installed.

When you've set up, just for a very quick test, try rotating your Mode Dial from U3 to B (one click clockwise) whilst watching the LiveView screen and see if there is any noticeable change in the displayed image.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've simply got too much sky-glow locally for my cameras to function properly. Even "out in the country" with no moon I can see well enough to find my way around without a torch after a few minutes of acclimatisation!

The Moon doesn't set locally until 01:22 tomorrow, so I'll be further restricted as to which direction I can point my camera unless I stay out very late
05-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, both cameras have v1.11 installed.

When you've set up, just for a very quick test, try rotating your Mode Dial from U3 to B (one click clockwise) whilst watching the LiveView screen and see if there is any noticeable change in the displayed image.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've simply got too much sky-glow locally for my cameras to function properly. Even "out in the country" with no moon I can see well enough to find my way around without a torch after a few minutes of acclimatisation!

The Moon doesn't set locally until 01:22 tomorrow, so I'll be further restricted as to which direction I can point my camera unless I stay out very late
I will, I might have a go at the SpaceX Dragon when it flies by 20min after launch - it will be just above the horizon in Denmark