Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #1

K20D with Manual Lens... assistance

I got my first Pentax-M from a forum member here and I'm trying to figure out how to use it right.

The manual isn't explicitly clear on it. First I set the camera to allow the aperture ring to be adjusted manually (otherwise it just showed F-- blinking). Then I set the green button in M mode to set the shutter speed.

After I do this and line up focus I hit the green button and the camera makes a noise and the shutter speed in the viewfinder changes. I guess this seems to work ok, if I dial the aperture down (up in number) and hit the green button the shutter speed changes.

However, why can I not use Av mode and others? When I set Av mode, I can freely roam around the room and see the shutter speed auto adjust based on light source. Can anyone assist me with the 'proper' way to use a Manual lens on this body?

TIA!

11-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mindflux Quote
The manual isn't explicitly clear on it. First I set the camera to allow the aperture ring to be adjusted manually (otherwise it just showed F-- blinking). Then I set the green button in M mode to set the shutter speed.

After I do this and line up focus I hit the green button and the camera makes a noise and the shutter speed in the viewfinder changes. I guess this seems to work ok, if I dial the aperture down (up in number) and hit the green button the shutter speed changes.
You've got it right. There is a great thread in dpreview - search for "pictorial guide" and "manual lenses" if you're curious - but it will pretty much tell you what you've already figured out.

QuoteQuote:
However, why can I not use Av mode and others?
Av mode requires the camera to know what aperture setting you've made. With "M" lenses - or indeed, an lens in which you set the f-stop using the aperture ring - the camera has no idea what setting you've made. Since the lens always stays wide open when turning the aperture ring (so the viewfinder doesn't darken), the metering display you see with Av mode using an "M" lens is the shutter speed that is appropriate for the lens used wide open, not the shutter speed that would be appropriate at the selected aperture (since the camera has no idea what aperture you've set). If you take the picture, it comes out exposed well - because the camera doesn't actually stop the lens down to the aperture selected. It shoots wide open regarldes sof the aperture ring selection. If you *intend* to shoot wide open, then this mode is actually quite useful.

QuoteQuote:
When I set Av mode, I can freely roam around the room and see the shutter speed auto adjust based on light source.
Note in "M" mode you can hold the DOF preview lever open while scanning about, which also shows you metering info (the shutter speed stays constant, since this is "M", but it shows you how much under- or over- exposed the pictured would be at the current settings. I use this a lot to help me figure out how I might want to alter the shutter speed set by the Green button.
11-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

Note in "M" mode you can hold the DOF preview lever open while scanning about, which also shows you metering info (the shutter speed stays constant, since this is "M", but it shows you how much under- or over- exposed the pictured would be at the current settings. I use this a lot to help me figure out how I might want to alter the shutter speed set by the Green button.

DOF Preview? Is that the Live View?
11-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mindflux Quote
DOF Preview? Is that the Live View?
No, DOF preview is obtained by pulling the on off switch past on.

Note also, Screw mount lenses, because there is no activation lever to hold apature open, can be used in AV mode bnecause when you turn the apature ring the lens stops down. Beware however that since depth of field increases as you stop down, you should always focus wide open.

Also, and I am not sure if this is different on the K20, on the K10D you can't dial in a perminant exposure compensation. some lenses have tendancies to meeter consistently high. On the *istD, yoou can dial in a perminant compensation.

11-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
No, DOF preview is obtained by pulling the on off switch past on.
I guess I'm at a loss for words. From what I understood, pulling the lever past 'on' was Live view on the K20D.

From the manual

QuoteQuote:
Focus on the subject, and then
turn the main switch to (symbol).
The mirror raises and a real-time image is
displayed on the monitor. Turn the main
switch to (symbol) again to exit Live View.
Live View can be displayed for up to 3
minutes.

Last edited by Mindflux; 11-01-2008 at 04:09 PM.
11-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

this could be my error, it is DOF on all other pentax DSLR cameras
11-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You can choose the lever to be either "live view", "optical preview" or "digital preview" in the custom functions menu. "optical preview" is the same old DOF preview you find in other cameras.

:edit: The "digital preview" just shows the picture on the LCD screen without saving it on the memory card. I find this funcion quite useless.
11-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
Forum Member

I had the F ---- blinking as well when I first put my manual lens on, I soon realized the aperture ring on the lens had to be on 'auto' for everthing to work fine. The aperture is still set thru the camera and the only 'manual' part is the focus.

cheers,
john

11-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
You can choose the lever to be either "live view", "optical preview" or "digital preview" in the custom functions menu. "optical preview" is the same old DOF preview you find in other cameras.

:edit: The "digital preview" just shows the picture on the LCD screen without saving it on the memory card. I find this funcion quite useless.
On the K20D, you can save the digital preview as a JPEG image by pressing the Fn button.
11-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
On the K20D, you can save the digital preview as a JPEG image by pressing the Fn button.
I know... that doesnt make it any less useless.
11-02-2008, 01:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote

At the same time you can also have it showing the histogram therefore showing by how much the shot would be under/over exposed.
I find this function quite handy.

Lucky we all see things differently isn't it
11-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaws Quote
I had the F ---- blinking as well when I first put my manual lens on, I soon realized the aperture ring on the lens had to be on 'auto' for everthing to work fine. The aperture is still set thru the camera and the only 'manual' part is the focus.

cheers,
john
To get rid of the blinking F-- you need to go to the custom menu, and enable "using aperture ring" Then you can use the ring and green button to set your shutter speed in M mode
11-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
To get rid of the blinking F-- you need to go to the custom menu, and enable "using aperture ring" Then you can use the ring and green button to set your shutter speed in M mode
True, but it's still nowhere near as convenient as leaving the aperture in the Auto position (assuming you're lucky enough to *have* an Auto position on your lens - the "M" series lenses, like most MF lenses commonly available for Pentax, do not). With the aperture ring set at "A", you can see the meter display at all times, you can use multi-segment metering, and you get full flash functionality. With the aperture ring set anywhere else, you lose those capabilities.
11-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
True, but it's still nowhere near as convenient as leaving the aperture in the Auto position (assuming you're lucky enough to *have* an Auto position on your lens - the "M" series lenses, like most MF lenses commonly available for Pentax, do not). With the aperture ring set at "A", you can see the meter display at all times, you can use multi-segment metering, and you get full flash functionality. With the aperture ring set anywhere else, you lose those capabilities.
Exactly, "A" lenses are much more convenient. This was just for those that have non "A" lenses..