Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Remote control adaptor?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Some while ago I asked about the K-70 and KP using a different Remote Control cable to the earlier cameras and it was suggested I could use a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack adaptor, readily and cheaply available!

Such an item was ordered (from far far away) and was eventually received and put on one side until wanted/needed.

So now I come to want to use my old cable release on my K-70, duly fit the adaptor, only to find that the resulting assembly won't work.

Then I realised that where the earlier cameras use a 3-pole 2.5mm plug, presumably two signals + ground, the newer cameras sneakily use a 4-pole 3.5mm plug

I'm not finding reference to a suitable adaptor being available. Does anyone know of such an adaptor that actually works, or am I stuck with having to buy another remote control cable?

05-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #2

Someone reverse engineered the wiring on the new remotes and found the 4th pole is not used. Others have reported the off the self 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters they bought do indeed work. You can find 2.5 to 3.5mm with 3 pole to 4 pole connections but since the 4th pole is not used it shouldn't matter.

Check to make sure the jacket on the adapter is not preventing it from pushing completely into the jack on the camera. This is usually the source of the problem with adapters and third party remotes. Or sometimes the adapter is just a poorly made piece of junk and one from another maker will work.
05-30-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used an off the self cheap adapter and it worked just fine, but the plug stuck out too far for me. Made it impossible to use with an L bracket mounted on a tripod in the vertical position. I just bought the same one ramseybuckeye mentioned above. It has a right angle plug.

05-31-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience with these kind of inexpensive adapters has never been good. The metal contacts inside often have very poor spring strength, and quickly start to lose electrical continuity. Admittedly, this has mostly been with audio adapters. But the same principle applies. Good spring steel costs more than junk spring steel. Brands like Switchcraft and Neutrik use premium components, and are reliable. You may be able to find a stereo audio adapter from these manufacturers that will fit the purpose. I just ended up buying a JJC 3.5mm remote for my KP rather than deal with the hassle and aggravation of a blankity-blank #*@x!! cheap adapter that sticks too far out of the camera. It only cost $8 and works great so far.
06-01-2020, 04:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would need to check on my K1.
I have 2 cable remotes, one I bought when I got my PZ1 and one when I got my *istD

Personally I like the remote that came with my PZ1 but the plug was different, so I “reverse engineered” the remote for the PZ1 with an in-line splice that used 2.5mm plugs to make it work on either camera, along with a remote extension cable.

The need to use it with the K1 has not yet come about.
06-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would need to check on my K1.
I have 2 cable remotes, one I bought when I got my PZ1 and one when I got my *istD
The need to use it with the K1 has not yet come about.

As far as I can see, the K-1 uses the CS-205 cable release, so the same fitting as the *istD, so you shouldn't have a problem