Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #1

K10D and Mac friends?

I know this may be a newbie question... but when I connected my K10D to my Mac my camera was in PC mode on LCD but my macbook did not recognize it had something connected to its usb. Are they compatible?

11-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #2

My K20D works just fine with my iMac. It just pops up as a USB drive and I browse to that via iPhoto or Aperture and import them to the hard drive.
11-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
i really don't mind using a card reader but it didn"t pop up.
11-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can only add that my k200d works fine with my macbook running leopard 10.4.11. Plug in, turn on the camera, and viola... looks just like a card reader would on the desktop.

11-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Damn Brit

After you connect the camera to your Mac, turn it on, if you've got an older Mac it should appear on your desktop as 'NO NAME'.
11-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
After you connect the camera to your Mac, turn it on, if you've got an older Mac it should appear on your desktop as 'NO NAME'.
That's how it appears on my Late 2007 iMac with Leopard. It's just mounting the flash card, which has no name label. I've told iPhoto not to run when a camera is plugged in. (If that's what you'd expect a 'new' Mac to do)
11-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Mindflux Quote
That's how it appears on my Late 2007 iMac with Leopard. It's just mounting the flash card, which has no name label. I've told iPhoto not to run when a camera is plugged in. (If that's what you'd expect a 'new' Mac to do)
I've got an old Mac so I don't know whether newer ones recognise the K10D yet.

11-02-2008, 05:42 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What version of OS X are you running? Here's the compatibility list for OS X 10.5:

Mac OS X 10.5: Digital camera RAW formats supported
11-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #9

Original Poster
I am running osx 10.5.5 i should be good. I may need to go see a mac genious. Now only if I could spell it correctly!!
11-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Give the SD card in a card reader a try - I do this and automate the download of pictures with Image Capture. Once you're shown how to do this, it'll become easy for you.
11-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
open the application called Disc Utility in the utility app. folder.
see if it shows up there and mount it from there.
11-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I use an iMac (fairly new) running the current version of OSX. I plug the camera in after the computer is running and it opens iPhoto and asks my if I want to download. I can also do it from a card reader plugged in to a USP port. I usually let it download to iPhoto and then drag the files over (from the camera listed as "NO NAME") usually to a remote drive as back up and for work in Aperture 2. All done with RAW files as that is all I shoot. Hardly takes any time. USB 2 is very fast.

When I am 'in the field' I download to a Mac laptop then transfer when I get back home to the desktop.

All this is very easy on the Mac.
11-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had occasions when my MacBook (Intel CPU + OS X 10.5.5) doesn't recognise either my *istD or my K20D (or my iPhone, come to that) when connected, although I've never been able to reproduce the problem, and it doesn't happen all that often.

I suspect that getting the connection sequence right (camera power on after connecting and starting/waking computer if it isn't running/awake) is one variable that can affect recognition, though I can't be sure. I use Photoshop CS3 Bridge to import all photos, set to automatically detect and import photos.

One thing I am sure of is that a re-boot has always fixed the problem, although I have tried changing USB ports and re-launching the Desktop, prior to this, and I can't recall if either of these worked alone or in combination.

Hope that helps with ideas to try.
11-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
I know this may be a newbie question... but when I connected my K10D to my Mac my camera was in PC mode on LCD but my macbook did not recognize it had something connected to its usb. Are they compatible?

Lets' start with the basics. It's not a matter of the computer recognizing the K10D. No camera itself (any brand) is recognized by a computer (any brand). What is recognized is 1) the card reader within the camera as an external USB storage device and 2) camera signals traveling through the USB port (see last paragraph).

Before proceeding, make certain a properly formatted memory card is inserted into the camera. This memory card should be formatted only within the camera, not within a computer. Afterwards, install the Pentax software and connect your camera as per the instructions given in the manual. Turn off the camera while making the physical hardware connection (connecting the USB cable) and then on again afterwards. Your computer should respond as described in the manual. If not, proceed to the next paragraph.

If your computer is not seeing the K10D's card reader, check the settings on your computer for external USB storage devices. Tracing this problem is absolutely no different than tracing down a problem with any other external USB storage device (hard drive, CD drive, etc). You should be able to easily find websites providing advice on problem solving with USB devices on the Macintosh. If you have an older Mac (many years old), you could try the PC-F mode on the K10D which slows it's USB connection down to USB 1.1 speeds. However, not entirely sure this mode will work with a Mac (always try PC-mode first). If all else fails, you can access your images by removing the memory card from the camera and inserting it into another card reader attached to, or built into, your Macintosh.

The computer may or may not see a name associated with the K10D card reader. That's dependant on the name given the memory card itself. The K10D does not give a name for memory cards while formatting, so the memory card may appear as "No_Name" on the computer. You can freely change the name of the card (folder name) using your computer.

Of course, since several here mentioned supported Raw formats, please note the physical hardware connection is an entirely different matter than recognizing the Pentax Raw file formats. You cannot see the files without a successful hardware connection first, with the latter (an unsuccessful hardware connection) the primary concern here.

The camera signals through the USB port are unrelated to the computer recognizing the card reader within the K10D, but included to give a wider understanding of events between the computer and camera. The computer does not understand those signals, but simply passes them between software and the USB port. Special software is needed to interprete and use those signals. Pentax provides a software product, called "Pentax Remote Assistant," which can use those signals to monitor your camera, change settings, and take images. Not certain this software is compatible with the Macintosh, but you can check and download Pentax Remote Assistant on the Pentax website.

stewart
11-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No problems with the K20D & K200D and Macbook. (also comes up as "No Name") In fact I love it, fast and simple with iphoto. The love gets a little strained with the Raw transfer from iphoto to elements though.
I would be looking, as suggested, at your mac settings.
Cheers