Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Ist ds upgrade: k10 still a good value?

Hello from France,
I'm the happy owner of a ist ds (not so many Pentax Dslr users in these times).
The key pad seems to present difficult response yet. is it usual? Could it be repaired or cleaned by myself.
Otherwise, I was thinking of upgrade... to the k20, when the price will be down.
But the last k10 are next door for 339 euros (431 dollars). Do you think it's still a good choice and what brings this Dslr obviously more than the ds in terms of image quality? I know the sensor remains the same.
I use my Pentax for gardens'pics (landscape and close ups) and concerts.
I've heard the high isos are not so good in low light...
Thanks for your help.

I have some questions about lenses for concert but i'm afraid it's not the right place.
I will complete my requests tomorrow over there...

Last edited by mapov; 11-01-2008 at 11:00 PM.
11-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
If I had the money, I'd jump on it...
11-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice.
I just want to know if the k10 did a best job than the ist ds, when and how...
And what did it worst?
I'm sure for a lot people, it's an old question, but that's my time.
Sorry...
Hope for your help.
11-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No answers.
Nobody had the ist ds, then/and the K10?

11-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mapov Quote
No answers.
Nobody had the ist ds, then/and the K10?
I had the DS and now the K200D, which is larger the same as the K10D on the inside if not the outside. But I am familiar with most of the differences.

Things the K10D does better:

- Shake reduction (so big, even if it did nothing else, it would be worth it right there)
- More resolution (I'm finding this more significant than I thought I would)
- Weather sealing
- Front dial and other extra controls (you can set ISO without looking at the LCD!)
- Orientation sensor, so pictures are rotated correctly automatically
(I know the K200D has this, but I'm pretty sure the K10D does too)
- Nicer LCD

Things the DS does better:

- Less noise at high ISO, maybe (older K10D's seem to suffer more from this)
- Smaller/lighter (not an advantage in everyone's eyes, of course)
- Takes AA batteries (not an advantage in everyone's eyes, either)

Overall, I consider the K200D a big step up from the DS, and I had to give up the somewhat nicer viewfinder of the DS. With the K10D, you get to keep the viewfinder. So unless you find the size or noise a big issue, you'll probably also find the K10D a big improvement. You might want to take a test picture or two at high ISO to see if the K10D's they have at the store are OK. My K200D does as well as high ISO as my DS did when viewing images at the same sizes, and it's the same sensor as the K10D, but I've seen some images from earlier units of the K10D that were terrible at high ISO.

By the way, you mentioned somethng about the sensor being the same. I don't know if you thought the K10D sensor was the same as the DS, but it isn't. DS is 6MP, 10D is 10MP.
11-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, Marc for your experience feedback.
I v' just read the colors were a bit disapointing in regards of ist ds.
Do u have an opionion on that point?

Last edited by mapov; 11-02-2008 at 06:10 PM.
11-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mapov Quote
Thanks a lot, Marc for your experience feedback.
I v' just read the colors were a bit disapointing in regards of ist ds.
Do u have an opionion on that point?
I like the colors just fine with both, but I shoot RAW, and don't use the Pentax software to do my conversion, so the colors I see might not be the same colors you see.

11-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marc has the feature upgrades well listed. I would also add the speed differences with the 2 cameras. The K10D will write data to the card faster and will focus much faster including in lower light. Also if you are looking at the last shot taken on the LCD and want to zoom in to check focus etc, the K10D allows almost instant zooming where the *istD is slow.

I have a *istD and the K10D. Both are great cameras but the K10D is superior in many ways.

Plus there are a number of menu features you'll like as well.
11-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #9

I started with the DS, and then bought the K10D, I still have the DS and use this as togther with the K10D when I'm at race circuits.

You will not be disappointed with the upgrade.

I will still keep them, if or when Pentax comes out with a new dslr with more than 3fps.
11-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

I was upgrading from K100D. I saw good deal for K10D too (new one), and I didn't hesitate for a second. Many may say K10 is yesterday's product, but it's still one great camera!
11-03-2008, 01:11 AM   #11
Syb
Veteran Member

I have k10d too, bought as an upgrade from DS. Only drawback is that I never use the Ds anymore. It is a pity, because the Ds is still a fine piece of technology. But the K10d offers more possibilities, two e-dials, a larger screen.... etcetera.

Only point in favour of the Ds is that it works on AA batteries. I have a charger for them that works in the car, so I can charge while driving. Such a charger is not in my kit for the K10d/Li50 batteries. That is a pity.

So now I have some spare batterys for K10d so I will not sit short of power.
11-03-2008, 06:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I used to have istDL and then upgraded to K10D. Did not buy K20D because it was more than twice what I paid for K10D and in my opinion it wasn't worth it. My K10D suits me well, but as others said, the weight and size difference is what will get you the most. But then there is the ease of using two dials and no need to dive into menus to change most settings. Oh, and there is SDM lens support (saddly, I do not have any SDM lenses but I have played with Canon USM and it was great - quiet and fast).

So if you have money for upgrade, go ahead and buy K10D. You are going to like it.
11-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks you all for your nice support.

Watch TV tonight to see where the wind blows on the USA...

And Syb, I love Netherlands too and Utrecht is one of my favorite (i live in North of France).

I'll come back to you when i get the k10.
11-05-2008, 06:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I never owned an ist ds, but I made a thread recently about the choice between a K10D and a K200D.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/40557-k200d-0r-k10d.html
Both were a similar price on the internet...I'm in Japan btw.

In a real world, I would've liked the K20D, but price was a factor on this.
After much research and reading peoples comments and looking at pics, trying both in shops, I chose the K10D.

I'd been using a...dare I say...Canon eos 50 for a long time, but always had a soft spot for Pentax, and knew that when I went digital, I'd buy one.

The K10 was deilivered today, and it looks like a great piece of kit.
The eos 50 is a chunky, heavy camera and I wanted the same feel, and the K10D sure feels solid and nice to handle.
The grip on the left side is a welcome treat. And the viewfinder is great.

I bought my Canon when it had been out for a year or 2 and got a good deal on that and it's served me well.
Got a good deal on the Pentax, so I don't care if a few people think it's a bit old.

Haven't had chance to really play with it yet, but I'm very happy so far.

Not sure that really helps you with any comparison, but just letting you know that there are more new K10D owners out there.
11-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I currently have both, the DS and the 10D.

Is the 10D a worthwhile upgrade from the DS? To me, yes. Shake reduction, weather sealing, and improved handling did it for me.

I still keep (and use) my DS as it does a couple of things better:
- smaller/lighter, less obtrusive.
- better high iso performance.

The only downside, is that the 2 cameras handle differently.