Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2020, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
Maybe I'm a wether forecaster.

Well, I now have my shiny new Samyang 16mm F2 lens and was going out tonight and try and capture the Neowise comet. Ha! Sodding British weather. I live practically at sea level in the flattest part of the UK, with huge horizons and relatively little light pollution, but the sky? The sky is now just a mass of clouds.

I said that would happen.

07-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spindrift Quote
The sky is now just a mass of clouds.
Two years ago I planned a trip to a dark sky area in the western US. Complete desert area, dry lake bed. Rains maybe 5 inches annually. We were there 4 days. It rained two of them and was completely cloud covered the rest of the time. We set up the first night and I got 2 shots of the Milkyway Way before I noticed the stars gradually disappearing as the clouds moved in.

It always happens.
07-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Two years ago I planned a trip to a dark sky area in the western US. Complete desert area, dry lake bed. Rains maybe 5 inches annually. We were there 4 days. It rained two of them and was completely cloud covered the rest of the time. We set up the first night and I got 2 shots of the Milkyway Way before I noticed the stars gradually disappearing as the clouds moved in.

It always happens.
The joys of astrophotography. That almost sounds like all of last year for me I was only able to make it out 4 time to photograph something other than the moon. We got so much rain last year it wasn't funny and when it didn't rain it wanted to stay cloudy for days. This year has been a lot better for astro shooting.
08-14-2020, 01:18 AM   #19
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Spindrift Quote
OK, so I went for the Samyang 16mm f2, guided I admit by the fact that I found one online at a significant discount.
Would you be able to share where you got it from? I'm looking to get one as well and a lot of places that had them for a reasonable price are out of stock.

08-21-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vithar Quote
Would you be able to share where you got it from? I'm looking to get one as well and a lot of places that had them for a reasonable price are out of stock.
Hi Vithar,

It was on Amazon, via their Global Store, so I don't know the actual vendor. All I can tell you is that it came from the US (I live in the UK). Sorry I can't be of more help.
09-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
I only tried night sky astro photography a few times with my K-50.

The lens I used was a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC
I got the best results with the lens at 10mm, using ISO 1600 and f4 and 30 seconds exposure.
My Milky Way shots with this set up were pretty good for a beginner like me!
I'll try to attach one of my shots taken with the above setup and settings ...
It's great to see that a 30 second exposure doesn't blur the image due to the earth's rotation. How long an exposure have you used before the image is blurred for shots of the stars and constellations?
09-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
It's great to see that a 30 second exposure doesn't blur the image due to the earth's rotation. How long an exposure have you used before the image is blurred for shots of the stars and constellations?
30 seconds is really getting towards the upper end of what can be done for not too noticeable star trails. There is a general rule that one should use 300/(focal length) to get your maximum untracked exposure time. This is often good enough but you will have pretty oval stars with this rule and if the lens has a lot of distortion there may be more trailing in the corners. Using 200/(focal length) will produce much better results and will most of the time produce nice round stars. With ultrawides you can push it a bit but 50% is really over that unless the lens is soft or really bloats stars. I will run my 12mm at 20 seconds and get some very nice stars.

09-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
30 seconds is really getting towards the upper end of what can be done for not too noticeable star trails. There is a general rule that one should use 300/(focal length) to get your maximum untracked exposure time. This is often good enough but you will have pretty oval stars with this rule and if the lens has a lot of distortion there may be more trailing in the corners. Using 200/(focal length) will produce much better results and will most of the time produce nice round stars. With ultrawides you can push it a bit but 50% is really over that unless the lens is soft or really bloats stars. I will run my 12mm at 20 seconds and get some very nice stars.
Thanks Mossy, appreciate your advice.