Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite.
Image 1 is the best 3140.79%
Image 2 is the best 2735.53%
Image 3 is the best   00%
Image 4 is the best 33.95%
Sorry they all suck. 1013.16%
I can't decide. 56.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2020, 11:55 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Isn't the point here to consider the different output from different formats, rather than the image itself?
Without the “They all suck, sorry” option I wouldn’t have participated, whereas the option and the thread title suggests we don’t take the thread too seriously, so I didn’t. Furlough has left me busier than a one-armed paperhanger around the home and PF is where I come for interest and amusement. I was amused, which is much better than 15 pages of bad- tempered squabbling over JPG settings or other pointless differences.

Job done, Norm!

06-11-2020, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Yessss! I have chosen the only correct answer. Now I need a K-1. I knew it. I knew it. Thanks for this and I'll ask my wife to take the test as well. That'll clinch it.
06-11-2020, 01:16 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was very close to choosing #2 but the leftmost flower has been apparently turned to a lighthouse and it's distracting so I'm choosing #1
06-11-2020, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
You wake up in the morning and there was a lead change..... I should have stayed up all night watching. It cold have been really exciting....
With no sports it may have been the most competitive game in town.

---------- Post added 06-11-20 at 08:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I was very close to choosing #2 but the leftmost flower has been apparently turned to a lighthouse and it's distracting so I'm choosing #1
When I went out it was overcast, I thought the soft light would give all the sensors an even shot. Then the sun came out. Like of all the times I wanted the sun to come out and it didn't, this time it came out. And it was sun patch in a forest, turning it into really high DR image.

For myself, I still think I can get the best image with the 1 inch sensor, but it really highlights how dependant those of us who shoot outdoors are on the correct conditions to get what we want.

As soon as the sun came out, which happened after I'd already set up the K-1, I thought, "the K-1 is the only camera that can handle this DR."

But hey, I'd already pack 5 cameras into bags and trudges thought the woods (it got so sticky and buggy I didn't use the last camera. my Q.) I might as well try and get her done, and the Q is the same sensor size as the XG-1 so if I had used it, there would have been two really small sensor images.

---------- Post added 06-11-20 at 08:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Yessss! I have chosen the only correct answer. Now I need a K-1. I knew it. I knew it. Thanks for this and I'll ask my wife to take the test as well. That'll clinch it.
Don't tell her where I live please.

I'm kinda afraid of wives.

---------- Post added 06-11-20 at 08:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Without the “They all suck, sorry” option I wouldn’t have participated, whereas the option and the thread title suggests we don’t take the thread too seriously, so I didn’t. Furlough has left me busier than a one-armed paperhanger around the home and PF is where I come for interest and amusement. I was amused, which is much better than 15 pages of bad- tempered squabbling over JPG settings or other pointless differences.

Job done, Norm!
Other polls have left me wondering, why so many views and so few votes. It was definitely a chance for those without serious opinions or who didn't see the point to blow off some steam. I myself have sat in front of polls where al I could think was "what difference does this make, why do they want me to answer these questions, I'm outta here". They all suck was kinda the "I'm outta here" option.

Given that so many of these companies sell their poll results, I'm now of the opinion that I won't participate in any corporate polls unless I'm paid. If my opinion is worth money to them, it's worth money to me. In the last 25 years I've made $50 from a bank poll for which I was selected and paid. 2 dollars year, a cup of coffee if you will, nothing to sneeze at.

---------- Post added 06-11-20 at 08:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Norm went and edited the post. Now mine looks out of context...
You didn't think I was going to leave it that way just so people would understand you did you?

---------- Post added 06-11-20 at 08:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm tempted to respond to this but that glass-house-throw-stones saying keeps coming to mind.
MY favourite version is "People who live in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones."

---------- Post added 06-11-20 at 08:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How do I define Good? How can I pick Best?

Also did the Parallax and just picked one based on appeal. I didn't do any careful comparison of DoF or sharpness or really light (DR, blown highlights though I did see them) at all. - just flipped back and forth, got down to #1 or #2, picked what I liked, and came up with #2. I was pretty surprised to see it was the Panny. #1 was very close.
I think this also shows that it's OK to pick one camera and go with it. There are differences, but if you only saw one of these images, does anyone think they would have missed out not seeing the others? To illustrate this patch of Lady Slippers on the forest floor, I think we would have understood the situation from any of them.

Way to often we stress about things that when you stand back and take a look, make very little difference.

Last edited by normhead; 06-11-2020 at 05:57 AM.
06-11-2020, 06:38 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
MY favourite version is "People who live in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones."
*spears

06-11-2020, 07:47 AM   #36

I couldn't say which format is which but #2 is the one that catches my eye the best. The green leaves just pop out with a good 3D effect.
06-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The old ones are the best

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
*spears
Bert, Bert; you have much to learn, young padawan...

Of course Larson will have his fun, but the pun before your post refers to the sailor shipwrecked on a remote island who made a home for himself by fully embracing life among its inhabitants. Each year the people elected a king, each king was given a throne of gold; the sailor stood for king and was elected three times in succession, receiving a new throne after each election. After his fourth successful election, he was killed by the other three thrones he had stowed in the roof of his hut - the roof gave way and they fell on him, hence the pun

06-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I couldn't say which format is which but #2 is the one that catches my eye the best. The green leaves just pop out with a good 3D effect.
Which begs the question, contrasty pop, or lower key high res image? I find the #2 camera is more likely to produce a saturated, contrasty image right out to the camera. I'm not sure that's what I want for still where I tend to stretch the curves to provide pop in the important parts of the image and sometimes de-emphasize the less important areas. But definitely that image comes with more pop, to the extent I've actually had to go negative contrast, something I've never done with any other camera I've owned.

But that's made up for by the snappy 4k video that comes from this camera.
06-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #39

Same for me.

I blame the Sigma lenses without Pentax pixie dust for the results
06-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Justin K. Quote
Same for me.

I blame the Sigma lenses without Pentax pixie dust for the results
I blame the difference in lighting....
#2 has full sun on the foreground, #1 is in shadow.

---------- Post added 06-11-20 at 01:25 PM ----------

It's not at all a camera effect, but a lighting effect, #2 had the most dramatic light.
06-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I chose two only because it was the only one where most of the flower was in focus... and didn't have that annoying dry branch coming towards the viewer
06-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I chose two only because it was the only one where most of the flower was in focus... and didn't have that annoying dry branch coming towards the viewer
I used the same tripod position for every image, ah I see the issue... the Panasonic 24mm is pointed down more than the others.... I went for centre focus but there could be small difference in how level the camera was, but that Lumix will change the focus point on me. I haven't figured out how to lock it.

It really makes me wonder about why all these images are supposed to be 24mm equivalent taken from the exact same film plane position, and the K-1 which is the Sigma 24 macro.. appears to be longer than the others.... even though technically, it is 24mm as opposed to 24mm equivalent. I guess we have to blame the differences on focus breathing. However that 24 mm Sigma is prime, Is focus breathing a thing on primes? The from element move towards the subject, so magnification is clearly thing, but which is the real 24mm, an internal focus 24mm lens, or a 24mm that moves the front element?

Inquiring minds want to know?

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2020 at 03:17 PM.
06-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I used the same tripod position for every image, ah I see the issue... the Panasonic 24mm is pointed down more than the others.... I went for centre focus but there could be small difference in how level the camera was, but that Lumix will change the focus point on me. I haven't figured out how to lock it.

It really makes me wonder about why all these images are supposed to be 24mm equivalent taken from the exact same film plane position, and the K-1 which is the Sigma 24 macro.. appears to be longer than the others.... even though technically, it is 24mm as opposed to 24mm equivalent. I guess we have to blame the differences on focus breathing. However that 24 mm Sigma is prime, Is focus breathing a thing on primes?
There's focus breathing, and there's stated focal length vs. actual focal length. I've heard it said, for example, that the old Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 was actually 19.5mm at the widest position. And apparently the DA 18-50mm is not quite as wide as the DA 18-55mm either, it's more in the range of 19ish mm as well... and with point and shoots, who even knows?

Optics is an exact science... marketing however isn't