Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite.
Image 1 is the best 3140.79%
Image 2 is the best 2735.53%
Image 3 is the best   00%
Image 4 is the best 33.95%
Sorry they all suck. 1013.16%
I can't decide. 56.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2020, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amuse yer selves.... format wars..

I'm including exif, so you don't have to wait for me to see what the choices were but please don't look before you choose. All claim to be 24mm (35mm equivalent). FF, APS_c, 1 inch and 1:2.3

Last edited by normhead; 06-10-2020 at 01:26 PM.
06-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Guessed correctly! (Based on DoF)

Though here you linked images 2 and 3 as the same image... (not to mention the files are named and linked in order of format size... ).
06-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

Though here you linked images 2 and 3 as the same image... (not to mention the files are named and linked in order of format size... ).
Fixed, but hey, just some messing around.

It's way to much work deleting the exif, and trying to make it a blind test. I was just curious. I'm retired it's 30ºC out and humid, all the lenses fogged and I have no idea if they were equally dry when I took the images, the light was constantly changing. it's a test doomed to failure. But it could still be fun.

Left out the Q because it was too hot , wet ,sticky and buggy.

\They are all full size so you can also tell by the frame ratio, but hey, don't cheat.
06-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Fixed, but hey, just some messing around.

It's way to much work deleting the exif, and trying to make it a blind test. I was just curious. I'm retired it's 30ºC out and humid, all the lenses fogged and I have no idea if they were equally dry when I took the images, the light was constantly changing. it's a test doomed to failure. But it could still be fun.

Left out the Q because it was too hot , wet ,sticky and buggy.

\They are all full size so you can also tell by the frame ratio, but hey, don't cheat.
Also, sorry for my choice on the poll... after seeing that option, I couldn't resist

06-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was torn between 2 & 3 but went for 2 because the background is a bit too prominent in 3
06-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Consciously avoiding "analyzing" the images; after just simply scrolling back and forth a few times, my clear favorite was #2.
06-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's interesting in that it's the kind of image the 1 inch sensor is ideally suited too.

Myself I picked I can't deicde. After working in PP in full size on my computers, I found parts of each interesting. I really liked the out of focus area in the K-1 image ( image #1.) That's the Sigma 24 macro, and I didn't expect it to be like that. I expected a bit rougher with such a wide angle lens.

The weakness of the 1 inch sensor is dynamic range, and I felt that was visible in #2 in blown highlights that I couldn't fully retrieve. But if you didn't work on it in post you might no know that.

#3 the XG-1 1:2.3 sensor I thought lacked supreme sharpness but was still acceptable.

#4 I thought was the best representation of the flowers, but I din't like the out of focus areas as much as I like the K-1 image.

Last edited by normhead; 06-10-2020 at 02:33 PM.
06-10-2020, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dear me, that’s just the sort of image I try to avoid, so they all suck. Sorry.
06-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Without looking at EXIF, I picked #1 as my favourite. #2 is nice, but seems to lack detail, and I'm put off a little by the sharpening halo on the petals...

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Isn't the point here to consider the different output from different formats, rather than the image itself?
06-10-2020, 03:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Without looking at EXIF, I picked #1 as my favourite. #2 is nice, but seems to lack detail, and I'm put off a little by the sharpening halo on the petals...

Isn't the point here to consider the different output from different formats, rather than the image itself?
That ZS100 always seems to be over sharp. I turn off all the sharpening in my PP, but they still end up sharper than I'd like. It's starting to irritate me a bit. I haven created an import preset for the ZS100 yet, so it comes in with 10% sharpening, and that's enough to cause artifacts. I don't know whether it's the ZS100 or if it's the the Aperture raw preset for the camera.

Ya, I expect people to do what Parallax did, a brief scan of the images, don't focus too hard (there was too much going on to warrant it, sweat running off of me while lying on the ground surrounded by mosquitos is not ideal working conditions.) But it does give you some insight into why you might want to use one format or the other.

The Panasonic seems to really bump the contrast, which is kind of counterproductive on a low DR sensor. The flowers, especially those in shade look awesome, best of the bunch. But I probably could have matched the contrast with the brush tool if I was really serious. And I should have worked out exactly what ƒ-stop to set each camera at. Looks like the K-1 and K-3 could have benefitted from ƒ16 and ƒ11 respectively. I would have needed a still day. The iight breeze made long exposures impossible. But those are the kind of things you face out in the real world.

Last edited by normhead; 06-10-2020 at 05:21 PM.
06-10-2020, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

You were able to guess which you thought was the best image? Here is another test for you. What is your favorite color? Can you guess correctly or will you be flung off the bridge?
06-10-2020, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I'm really stuck because my small sensor cameras zoomed in only have apertures well past the diffraction limit. I'd have to buy much more expensive gear to go much longer. The smaller sensors make me nervous after ƒ2.8 and mine all cross beyond ƒ4 pretty quickly. So wide angle macro it was.

In anticipation of such responsess I put in "they all suck" option, I didn't want anyone to feel left out. I'm an inclusive kind of guy.
06-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #13
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can't really decide

1 . for its dof , 2 . for the overall picture ( more dof )

24mm is different on all the sensors used as in aov

Would be lovely to be 30 C instead of 7 C at the minute.

Dave
06-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
I can't really decide

1 . for its dof , 2 . for the overall picture ( more dof )

24mm is different on all the sensors used as in aov

Would be lovely to be 30 C instead of 7 C at the minute.

Dave
I've never before come out of the house and had my lenses fog up. 30 and humid is brutal.

SO a few hours in, the ZS100 is in the lead. Followed closely by the K-1 and "they all suck".
It would be awful nice for me it "they all suck" didn't win.
Not that I'm trying to influence the voting or anything.
06-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #15
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
See you have given 'all suck ' a chance .... the choice for the non readers on the interwebs.......( duck and hide )

Dave