Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite.
Image 1 is the best 3140.79%
Image 2 is the best 2735.53%
Image 3 is the best   00%
Image 4 is the best 33.95%
Sorry they all suck. 1013.16%
I can't decide. 56.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2020, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
See you have given 'all suck ' a chance .... the choice for the non readers on the interwebs.......( duck and hide )

Dave
Every poll I post, someone says there's something wrong with the pictures. At least I didn't get a 5 paragraph explanation of why this time (well not yet) with insults to my family, my dogs, my lifestyle and my choice of gear and the clothes I wear. I'd rather they just click a choice on the poll.

Oh no, they all suck is gaining.

I did ask them to amuse themselves, I guess it's all my fault.

06-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #17
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well ........ now you've gone an' dun'it...
that clare thing has assumed the winner..... in the future .... .is...........
.... how the heck do I know I'm not a clare.... thing.

Dave
06-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Chose "All suck" because they are all framed differently.

However, I think its #2, and maybe #1 if the framing is the same.
The DOF is enough to fall over the subject and then there is enough FOV and shallow DOF to isolate it.
Add to that, decent bokeh, makes them my preferred choices.

Thanks for the time to do this though, Norm
06-10-2020, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I wanted the choice: my Sony a7riii would blow them all away with the lens cap on.

06-10-2020, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Guessed correctly! (Based on DoF)

Though here you linked images 2 and 3 as the same image... (not to mention the files are named and linked in order of format size... ).
Guessed correctly at what. The question was which do you like the best? Were we guessing which was FF??????
06-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Fun test.

But isn't the real test to go back after one has decided that a certain DoF is the most pleasing one and then see which formats can create an image with that DoF? If the favorite image has a deep DoF, then all of the formats can provide that image. If the favorite image has a shallow DoF, then only a subset of the formats can provide that image.

What's interesting about most larger formats is that they offer a greater range of DoF choices before diffraction attacks the image with its fuzzy blotter. Now I'll the the first in line to say that only a few images really look better with a shallow DoF but if the point of a photographic system is to give the photographer control over the image, then larger formats have the advantage of offering more control.

The other "real test" is to have to live with a format, and carry it everywhere, etc. The best camera is the one you have with you! I've got a friend who recently bought some tiny Canon P&S for the princely sum of about $250. It's got a 20MPIx 1/2.3" sensor, fits easily in a pocket, doesn't require changing lenses, and can zoom from 25 to 625mm equivalent.... 25X ZOOM! Carrying an FF or medium format camera with lenses covering 25 to 625 would be a chore and a half!
06-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I wanted the choice: my Sony a7riii would blow them all away with the lens cap on.
Ya, I did this because I wanted to know. If I just wanted to blow hot air, I could have done that with much less effort..

06-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Guessed correctly at what. The question was which do you like the best? Were we guessing which was FF??????
Norm went and edited the post. Now mine looks out of context...
06-10-2020, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If I just wanted to blow hot air, I could have done that with much less effort..
I'm tempted to respond to this but that glass-house-throw-stones saying keeps coming to mind.
06-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Fun test.
Fun for me and you, it seems to have ruffled a few feathers else where.
Not to worry, as soon as I was done I started thinking about how it could be done better. Good tests give you ideas for more tests.
Suggestions for improvement are always welcome.

I currently have these orchids growing near my house, thy won't last long. I wanted more pictures of them anyway.

Here's one from the other day.

But these orchids have never grown closer than 4 km from my house. This is anew patch, right off a trail I clear, 50 meters for my house, the only ones in 10 sq. kilometres, I wanted a context shot of the whole patch so that's what I went out for. And I was really curious as to what would give me the best image.

So here ya go, the forum choice. The ZS100 gave me the best image. Based on the number of flowers in focus and the out of focus rendering. Maybe another day, other circumstances would have been different, but today the ZS100 was the one.

06-10-2020, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm tempted to respond to this but that glass-house-throw-stones saying keeps coming to mind.
We're all pots and kettles here!
06-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your effort and your sense of humor, sir !

Regards

P.S. I prefer image #1 taken with the K1.
06-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #28
Pentaxian

That is my State flower and I have only seen them once. Congrats on having them so close.
06-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do I define Good? How can I pick Best?

Also did the Parallax and just picked one based on appeal. I didn't do any careful comparison of DoF or sharpness or really light (DR, blown highlights though I did see them) at all. - just flipped back and forth, got down to #1 or #2, picked what I liked, and came up with #2. I was pretty surprised to see it was the Panny. #1 was very close.
06-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I identified the full frame k-1 by the level of very small details, the dynamic range, and the shallow depth of field. But the delta wasn't as high as some people expect I'm sure. It is why I used a Panasonic LX7 as my overseas travel camera. Portability often trumps format quality.