Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2020, 07:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Considering the paltry sum both the K10D and the K100D can be had for these days, the answer to that question is a no-brainer. I'd definitely go with the K10D. I'll also second what someone else said about the K200D. It's essentially a K10D in a somewhat simplified package. To me, the interface seems far more intuitive to use and it's also in the sub-$100 club.

06-11-2020, 09:20 PM   #17

Original Poster
There is a topic about k100d look what were they said about how wonderful was k100d
Attached Images

06-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #18

I had both (still have the K-10D, plus K-5ii and K-3 and K-01. See my signature below).

K100D was my first digital, but between the 2 you mentioned, I prefer the K-10D for :
- bigger sensor
- SDM contact
- can be use with battery grip, if needed
- 2 dials
- handle bigger SD card capacity (if I remember)

But I prefer to use my 3 others “newer” models.
Good luck with your purchase.
06-11-2020, 11:07 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dr.volkan Quote
There is a topic about k100d look what were they said about how wonderful was k100d
Do what makes you happy! I am not going to argue with someone who asked for advice and then objects to the suggestions. If you like your *istDS2, you will be similarly pleased with a K100D except for the dimmer viewfinder.

BTW...I don't know if Dartmoor Dave ever replaced the K100D. I am pretty sure he is still shooting with the GX10, however; at least he was earlier this week.

Steve

06-11-2020, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K100D was my first DLSR. It was a pretty nice basic camera but the mirror slap was embarrassingly loud.
06-12-2020, 12:55 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for the clarification. I will remember that.

To that end...I shot with a K10D from 2007 until 2014. and tried a K100D before purchase of the K10D. I was quite happy with my results for the entire seven years. Moving forware, image quality of the K100D is typical for 6Mx CCD sensors of the time and probably about the same as your GX1s.* Similarly, the K10D image quality is typical for 10Mpx CCD sensors at time (basically state of the art) and has no particular faults unique to the model. Some users on this site pine for the color rendering from the K10D.

What you are getting on the K10D over the K100D is higher resolution, the "PRIME" rendering engine, and a quantum jump in utility:
  • 100 Base ISO
  • Pentaxprism viewfinder rather than pentamirror (huge advantage)
  • Green button
  • WR seals
  • Two e-dials
  • High capacity lithium battery (DLi50) rather than AA cells
If the two are the same price and condition, the list above should be adequate to explain why comments above consider the choice to be a no-brainer.

Flickr | My K10D Sampler

Addendum: Of the other models on your short list, the K-70 and K-5IIs represent the best value, both in terms of image quality and features. I might add the K-3/K-3II.

Steve

* The K100D is basically a continuation of the *istDS2 minus TTL flash support and and pentaprism finder and with addition of SR.
dear Steve i am glad to meet you ,your comment is very important for me we are just talking
and thinking together thank you very much one more time..your photos are wonderful👍
06-12-2020, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I grew to love the K10D (GX-10 version) over time, and I still use it as my main camera today. I still think that the 6MP CCD in the K100D gives the best colour rendering I've ever had from any DSLR, but the weather sealing, pentaprism viewfinder and higher resolution of the K10D makes it more practical as a day-to-day camera.

Up until quite recently I had an *ist DL2 for when I wanted to use the 6MP CCD. But earlier this year I had a massive gear cull, and it's gone now.

06-12-2020, 03:24 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I grew to love the K10D (GX-10 version) over time, and I still use it as my main camera today. I still think that the 6MP CCD in the K100D gives the best colour rendering I've ever had from any DSLR, but the weather sealing, pentaprism viewfinder and higher resolution of the K10D makes it more practical as a day-to-day camera.

Up until quite recently I had an *ist DL2 for when I wanted to use the 6MP CCD. But earlier this year I had a massive gear cull, and it's gone now.
Dear Dave can you give flickr address that belong to some good examples of k100d
06-12-2020, 04:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Maybe Kr ?
Maybe k20d?
Maybe k200d?
Maybe k5lls
Maybe k70?
i guess this list is according your budget no?

I had some of the pentax models, among which the k100d as first dslr
I remember i really liked the rendering of it. It was also pretty good in higher iso at the time and some of the images i made with the kitlens were tacksharp.
I was a nice combo..

I think the decisionmaker between something like k100d or k10d,
it's also about the size, the batteries, size viewfinder.. things mentioned already by other people.
I'd be inclined to get a k10d. I had the k20d. Absolutely loved that camera.

In todays world, if your intention(?) is to start cheaply in pentax world, i'd be on the lookout for something more recent.

In small size and low weight, the k r (which i still use today), hands down beats the k100d.
In larger size and weight, a k5 or k3..

---------- Post added 06-12-20 at 01:23 PM ----------

It's just my thought:
but i think a lot of this "wonderful" has to do with the fact that is was the first digital slr experience for a lot of people.
Sentiment...
I think the technological advantages of getting something more recent, outweighs by far any 'possible' favorible sensor output from something like the k100d.
06-12-2020, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Dear Dave can you give flickr address that belong to some good examples of k100d

I was going to suggest that you browse through the Six Megapixel Club here on Pentax Forums, but you must already know about it because your profile shows that you've posted some photos in that thread taken with a Samsung GX-1S (which is a rebadged *ist). The 6 megapixel sensor in the GX-1S is exactly the same as the one in the K100D, so the raw files that you'll get from the two cameras will be identical.

If you like the CCD look and you want to try a camera that will give you anything different from your GX-1S, you'll need to get one of the 10 megapixel bodies like the K10D or its brethren.

Edit: I should have read through page 1 of this thread before I bothered replying. It has already been mentioned that you already own an *ist that will give you identical photographs to a K100D.
06-12-2020, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first serious DSLR was the K10D, and I still have it. Very solid camera, and IQ at ISO400 and below very pleasing. Some sample photos: Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-K10D - PentaxForums.com

Then I got a K-5IIs. MUCH more capable camera, though the color rendering is different than the K10D. I usually try to keep it at ISO1600 or below. Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-K5IIs - PentaxForums.com

Between these two, I would have to recommend the K-5IIs. Unless you just want an older camera for your collection.

I now have a KP, and am still learning it. Noticeably better color rendering than the K-5IIs, which I still love.
06-13-2020, 12:20 AM   #27

Original Poster
İ have gx1s(ist ds2) working and good condition after reading your comments there is no need to buy k100d...
Also i have pentax k2000(km) it is also have the 10.2 ccd sensor like k10d ....also no need to buy k10d
İ learned now.
But i want to ask a question if the sensors same are the raw files same at pentax cameras??
06-13-2020, 01:39 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

İ have gx1s(ist ds2) working and good condition after reading your comments there is no need to buy k100d...
Also i have pentax k2000(km) it is also have the 10.2 ccd sensor like k10d ....also no need to buy k10d
İ learned now.
But i want to ask a question if the sensors same are the raw files same at pentax cameras??

For all practical photographic purposes, yes, the raw files from your GX-1 are identical to a K100D, and the raw files from your K2000 are identical to a K10D. The GX-1 presumably saves the raw data as DNG, while the K100D uses PEF, but the data itself is the same -- just stored in different wrappers.

There are some technical issues about the camera hardware that might mean they won't be absolutely identical at bit-level, but I hope nobody tries to go into that here because it would just add unnecessary confusion.

For all practical purposes, you won't see any difference in the raw files. For example, I've compared identical shots taken with the same lens by my Samsung GX-10 and a friend's K10D, and we were completely unable to see any difference. We felt that there might have been a tiny difference in the in-camera processing of straight-from-the-camera jpegs, but we weren't sure if we were imagining it or not.

You'll get a much bigger difference by running a GX-1's raw files through a different raw converter app than you ever will by switching to a K100D.