Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2020, 04:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Weather Resistant

One of the advantages of the Pentax Line of DSLR's is that most bodies are “Weather Resistant” and have been for quite some time, whether this is necessary for every day use is open to debate and is derided by those who state “who’s going to go out and take photos in the rain” but where the weather can change rapidly in an hour or two there are bound to be occasions when you suddenly find yourself out and about in a downpour with sensitive electronic equipment and probably nowhere to put it or you are on a beach with wind blow sand with all those little particles just waiting for an entry place, so on balance it probably is a good thing.

Weather resistant lenses are another matter as they are usually heavier and therefore bigger and probably more expensive than a non WR model. The most obvious WR part is the mount with its seal which can be damaged or perish, which you might not notice, or can harbour grit which can degrade the WR, zooms seem to carry the WR label more so than primes and with more moving parts they may need it more but nobody actually mentions that the business end of the lens is wide open to the elements at all times. Manufacturers do apply protection coatings but exactly how long they are good for you are never sure. Yes those of us who do think about it do put on a protection filter but these have their own problems. If we say that the average lens costs around €500 and we rush out and put a €1 special offer filter in front of it are you going to cause more problems than you solve, are you going to get reflections, ghosting, distortion etc. so what filter do you choose ?

Then there is the matter of temperature resistance, if say your camera works between -10˚C and +30˚C will it stop working at -11˚C when you join an Artic expedition or will the insides fry at +31˚C on your sunny Safari holiday, of course it will obviously be the battery’s fault as its made by somebody else, but who knows ?

But, and it is quite a big BUT, exactly what does “Weather Resistant” mean and are all manufacturers working to the same rules, yes they all have beautiful photos of their prize WR model with their latest WR lens attached carefully sprinkled with water designed to make you feel safe when you buy it but are those little droplets still going to be on the outside after an hour or two in heavy rain ?

06-14-2020, 05:24 AM   #2
Unregistered User

On the one hand, the manufacturers' marketing and legal departments don't want to be tied down to a specific criterion - since there really is no definition that implies anything other than SOME non-zero degree of resistance to "weather". On the other hand, I've seen vids of Canon and Pentax cameras being dunked in creeks, swamps, and mud, and doused from bottled water and fountains without any apparent damage. Of course, "weather" is probably one of the most general nouns in the English language. It includes so much that it means nothing.
06-14-2020, 05:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have weather tested my gear. It is rugged. I don't believe it had a specific definition, just a general one. I would say it means in a heavy rain storm it will be safe 9 times out of 10 instead of 1 time out of 10. But still means you are chancing it. Also zooms will still suck in moist airlike a bellows making them suseptable to fungus and internal moisture.
06-14-2020, 06:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There are standards for this (see Water Proof, Water Resistant, and IPX - What Does It All Mean? - Outdoor Tech Blog ) that enable manufacturers to state the level of water and dust resistance.

But given the giant open hole in the front of every camera and back of every lens, neither cameras nor bodies can adhere to these standards.

06-14-2020, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may be wrong, but I don't think that Pentax ever "officially" stated the IP protection grade. Protection grades are standardised according to IEC 60529.
There is a 2 digit code in a format like IPxx. The first digit states the level of protection against ingress of particles, the 2nd digit is for the protection against ingress of fluids.
The standard defines the test procedures quite well, but as I said, I have never seen a statement confirming an specific level like IP55 for (dust of a certain particle size can't get into the test specimen in harmful quantities, water sprayed with a defined pressure through a defined nozzle and distance will also not cause harm ...)
Of course it is impossible to state a protection grade for a camera housing alone! A statement makes only sense (and can only be tested) for a camera & lens combination.

I have been involved in some IP grade tests in the past. My guess is that a combination of a Pentax WR camera and a Pentax WR lens might be close to IP55. But the question what is "a harmful quantity" of dust or water can be a topic for hours of discussions. We also must keep in mind that the material used for seal rings will be ageing and therefore the sealing could be less efficient after some time of use.

Last edited by volley; 06-14-2020 at 11:02 AM.
06-14-2020, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Have a look at this video here...

06-14-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
But, and it is quite a big BUT, exactly what does “Weather Resistant” mean and are all manufacturers working to the same rules, yes they all have beautiful photos of their prize WR model with their latest WR lens attached carefully sprinkled with water designed to make you feel safe when you buy it but are those little droplets still going to be on the outside after an hour or two in heavy rain ?
The environmental resistance of Pentax gear has been discussed in various contexts here on Pentax Forums. For example, here's a thread from several years ago: New Pentax (UK) Product Guide - Weather resistant or Weatherproof? - PentaxForums.com

Here is an interesting article published by Imaging Resource on weather sealing and environmental protection: How to REALLY weather-seal a camera. We go deep behind the scenes at Olympus R&D headquarters

And the controlled testing approach developed by Imaging Resource: You did WHAT to our camera? IR weather testing version 1.0

Finally, I don't think that I have ever seen any objective tests in which Pentax gear has been shown to be better environmentally-protected than other brands that also claim a degree of weather sealing. Occasionally, we see reports from Pentax users whose cameras have met their demise because of moisture damage from high humidity, mist, rain, dunking, salt water ingress, etc. There have been implications that weather seals may have failed and allowed water to enter the camera.

- Craig

06-14-2020, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Weather resistant to me means, I feel slightly better when it starts to rain, but I still cover up my gear. If there is a shot I really want, like an unusual bird, then I take it but I try and cover up my camera with a rain sleeve or umbrella when I'm doing that.

I don't put much stock in weather resistance.

Also, there is a huge difference between pouring sand on a camera and rinsing it off with a a hose vs. taking your camera in the rain day in and day out. As with any water-resistant/"waterproof" product, sealing only lasts so long. Gaskets degrade, and water WILL eventually get it.

I have both Pentax and Nikon DSLRs and I've taken them out in the rain, but I would never rely on the weather sealing alone to protect my gear all of the time. Just take as many precautions as you can.
06-14-2020, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
In Pentax lingo, AW or All Weather let's me know there is greater weather sealing than just WR or weather resistance. On the practical side when I see WR on the camera and lens it gives me confidence in two ways:

a) I can reliably go from a cool dry air conditioned car or building out into a warm humid environment and condensation will not disable my camera. Same with going from a cold winter exterior into a warm room. This has been the biggest practical advantage. I've been on photo safaris with 20 photographers and when we experience sudden temp/humidity changes, everyone with a Canon Rebel or Nikon D3000/5000 are disabled for hours. Those cameras are super popular because they are cheap and light, but anyone serious about their photography or with experience has upgraded to mostly WR gear.

b) Unless you're in the habit of changing lenses in windy or dusty environments, WR really helps to reduce dust on the sensor and fungus on lens elements. Less corrosion and cleaner optical viewfinders too.
06-14-2020, 09:24 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

I do two things with my WR Pentax equipment. I carry a small garbage bag in my jean pocket, which if it rains, I pull out and wrap camera and lens...both WR in. I also never change my lenses outside. Wind blows, dust and stuff is floating around outside. I decide what pix I'm going to take before, and change to the appropriate lens indoors.

I'm not a pro, just an average guy who takes care of his equipment, by using a little common sense.
06-14-2020, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have shot in cold and snow, and rain. I'm not afraid to go out into some rain, but I'm not going to go out into a pouring rain for hours. But because of the weather sealing, and using it many times, I'm not afraid to get caught in the rain. I'm definitely not going to change lenses out there in rain of snow. I had to change a lens last week when it was a little windier that I would normally do, and got dust on the sensor, fortunately it was not damp dust and blew right off with the rocket blower. I keep a couple of small microfiber towels in my bag just in case the gear does get wet and use those to dry it off when I get into a dry area. The bag (Thinktank Turnstyle) is rain resistant, but also has a handy little waterproof cover that pulls out of the bottom for extra protection. And I recently acquired a Pelican Storm Case to transport my gear on a boat.

I trust the Pentax weatherizing, but I don't push it.
06-14-2020, 11:12 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
There are standards for this (see Water Proof, Water Resistant, and IPX - What Does It All Mean? - Outdoor Tech Blog ) that enable manufacturers to state the level of water and dust resistance.

But given the giant open hole in the front of every camera and back of every lens, neither cameras nor bodies can adhere to these standards.
A watch repair shop where I sometimes have my watch batteries replaced has a sign over the counter that reads: "Water Resistant: that which repels water for a short period of time. Waterproof: That which repels water indefinitely." That's a pretty useful distinction, if you ask me.

Recognizing the inherent potential shortcomings of weather resistant camera gear, I'd certainly rather have that feature and not need it than need it and not have it.
06-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, my K-5 and the 18-135 WR had long been my go-to combo for bad weather and harsh conditions. Now that my K-5 has passed on, I still use the lens on the K-1, because I hate to let weather deter me from capturing some images. I am not careless with my gear, but I like knowing its capabilities in less than perfect conditions. I like my Ricoh WG-20, which I've used underwater with no problems.

I am not the only Pentaxian who likes stormy weather, either.
06-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

For all the anecdotal evidence and advertising, PenPusher, the only one that counts is whether the manufacturer will refund you for any damage that comes from the weather.

And they won't. Like all the other manufacturers, the warranty paragraph in the box you bought your camera in says no water or dirt ingress is covered. To any extent.

So, sure, stand under a waterfall or drop it into quicksand, but it'll be at your cost if it doesn't work afterwards, not Ricoh's.

There are objective standards and tests for what you're talking about, and the camera companies refuse to certify, even on their pro models. Interestingly, some of the phone manufacturers do.
06-14-2020, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #15

One of those topics that tempts me to comment with my personal perspective and experience... but then I realize there are so many directions in which to go that it might be appropriate to just let it ride. But I'll give it an attempt anyways:

Overall I think taking a conservative approach regarding environmental specifications is always a wise way to help protect one's investment. But of course there are situations that may warrant other approaches. I am also of the opinion that the camera industry does not certify to any standardized environmental specifications such as IPxx otherwise they would call attention to it in their marketing.

In my film photography days I was very meticulous about caring for and maintaining my photography gear:
- During my early 35mm hobbyist period I strongly adhered to the philosophy of protective filters for the front of my lenses and purchased expensive multi-coated filters to minimize image degradation as much as possible. Incidentally, cleaning of the multi-coated filters was extremely difficult.
- During my later much lengthier medium format hobbyist / paid work period, I very intentionally chose not to use front element protective filters over the Zeiss T* coated lenses to avoid any image degradation. In my experience maintaining pristine front lens elements was never problematic and lens shades remained most effective. The less likely risk of gross physical damage (e.g. fracture for dropping) was something I was willing to accept. As an interesting side note, I recall rumors or reports that Zeiss contracted with Pentax to develop and possibly manufacture process the T* lens coating.
- In my DSLR days I continue my philosophy and favorable experience of deliberately choosing not to use lens front element protection filters. Instead relying directly on the superior developed Pentax OEM front element coatings (not limited to Pentax- I'd do the same if I were using other makes).

My K5 + DA 18-135mm WR are my primary kayaking outfit:
- I do choose to secure it in an 'Overboard' brand dry bag for ingress and egress of the kayak and times when facing a predictable high risk threat of submersion (e.g. breaking surf or other high instability threats).
- I have no issues with letting the camera sit ready on my lap as I paddle in spite of dripping from the paddles in an open cockpit. With a spray skirt in the ocean I used a combination of the camera / dry bag around my neck or tethered to the boat.
- After use I degrease my unfortunate dependency on sunscreen by immersing the camera with WR / AW lens attached under a small gentle running stream of room temperature water at the kitchen sink and a finger rub down of Dawn dish soap on the rear screen. When doing so I typically hold the camera at a 45 degree angle with the lens facing downward and concentrate the majority flow onto the rear screen and try to limit any extent of water volume, pressure or time on the lens. On rarer occasions when I have rinsed the lens I attempt to do so with the water falling at a 90 degrees onto the blunt surfaces and not an angle that might encourage more direct volume, pressure or time toward the rotating interfaces of the lens. On a few rare occasions circumstance to led to feeling need to perform such a rinsing in a shower while desalination of the kayaking gear.
- Naturally these comments / personal experience represent a Notable Risk regarding the environmental protection of the gear.

As others have already noted, there is also no way to know when age or other factors might also compromise the performance of the as-manufactured protection. It might also be appropriate to note that our recently purchased Olympus TG-6 camera (shoots RAW) rated for submersion depth down to 50 feet states that the camera seals must be serviced by an authorized service center each year in order to meet its environmental performance warranty.