Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
B&W Picture Style

What is your favorite Picture Style or the one you use most ? My camera has been set to Natural Picture Style for the longest(ever since I got it) but my Pentax K5 II actually gives you several options which include: BRIGHT, NATURAL, PORTRAIT, LANDSCAPE, MUTED, BLEACH BYPASS, REVERSAL FILM & MONOCHROME.

The Monochrome Picture Style lets you use filters such as Yellow, Orange Green, etc, plus it lets you Tint your B&W images to various colors some of which emulate Sepia or Selenium. I have not used the Toning feature much, but the color filters do work in that they bring out certain colors and block others. This is great if you are into flower photography, or you want to darken the skies, or bring out Puffy clouds !

Without any Toning the pictures come out like traditional B&W prints especially if you increase the contrast(in camera). I decided to download some B&W images I took today and they look quite good on my monitor. If you decide to Tone the image to the right then it will look like the B&W prints that come out of modern printers, with a brownish Hue. If you Tone to the left it will have a blueish Hue. I like my B&W prints to look like they did when I was using film, so I probably wont be using the Tone feature much, but that's just me. I also tried the REVERSAL FILM picture style and it's quite good. Not exactly Chodachrome, but the images do have that Retro Film look if ever so slightly.

06-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I liked Bright on my K-7, but no longer shoot JPG. It's fun though to set to Monochrome to get an immediate sense of what the raw file could look like if converted to B&W, without limitng options in post processing.
06-15-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For black and white, I like to put the filter on Magenta, max the contrast and lift the high key to +1. I find it gives a nice contrasty look but still maintains some nice mids.

For color on the K-50, I use a customized "Muted" setting with lots of contrast and saturation - basically nullifying the muted effect. But I like it because I find that applying the Cyan Toning option remedies the yellow cast that the K-50 sensor has naturally. For the K-S1 I use the Portrait setting with a bit more contrast and the Hue set to +4 - again to try to get somewhat rid of a I perceive to be a natural color cast from the sensor.
06-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I haven't messed much with tones but I'm tempted to try it now. My Samsung GX-20 has a setting called 'vivid', whichI like since its default color profile is a bit muted for my taste. It punches things up just enough without looking overblown.

06-16-2020, 12:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Both of my photography teachers encourage having the rear screen on B&W. As much as I respect them, I always have the screen on portrait.

I only ever shoot RAW so it is only about immediate feedback.
06-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

A camera profile that captures the most tonal scale plus greyscale conversion in a raw/graphics editor gives you the most flexibility.

You get more than just the BW film version of colored filters (yellow/green/orange/red, etc). You get everything in-between those colors. And where a, say, orange filter on BW film may not darken the sky that much on a particular day and time (darkness on film is a function of how clear blue the sky actually is), you can make a practically a black sky with the orange digital filter by cranking the blue channel saturation. In other words you are not emulating film anymore at this point but you can make dramatic, surreal effects.

When I made my own BW wet prints, Sepia toning was hardly ever used. Brown and chocolate brown toners on the cold and warm tone papers was a more popular choice, I'd say. But people writing graphics editors seem to think Sepia the only toner there is. I used Selenium toning a lot just because it's an archiving step to increase the print's life and a tonal shift was a consequence of that process.
06-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I went out today with my Pentax K5 IIs and tried to darken the skies first with an Orange digital filter then with the Red. The sky did not darken one bit ?
06-18-2020, 01:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I went out today with my Pentax K5 IIs and tried to darken the skies first with an Orange digital filter then with the Red. The sky did not darken one bit ?

Unfortunately, in my experience, when comparing the output from Pentax's "digital" filters to actual film results, (from many years ago), I do find Pentax's interpretation to be a little "conservative". However you do have the opportunity to apply a second filter (or more) to the result, in camera, and a boost in contrast can be very satisfying

Having "played" with some of these "digital filter" options over the last few weeks I've learnt that the in-camera results are often best used as a compositional guideline in the field rather than with view to producing an "end result" immediately. The fine-tune capabilities of the supplied Digital Camera Utility software on my computer can often be relied on to tweak the result, but at least I've got an idea that the composition should work With view to this, I've taken to saving a RAW file of any potential candidates, though the software will cope very well with an out-of-the-camera JPG, even to the extent of being able to "re-generate" a RAW file from a JPG with some clever algorithms!

The software can be a little "cryptic", (if not downright unfriendly), as supplied, but the recent multi-page article in Japanese (translated here Google Translate ) in conjunction with diligent use of the Help file (F1 from within the program) has given me a new-found confidence in it's capabilities

Enjoy!