Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking for a radio remote shutter control

I would like a remote shutter control for K-1 and K-3 II, that can operate over a reasonable distance, and would prefer that I didn't have to have line of sight to the remote control receiver, so probably need a radio frequency device.
I have had a bit of search for suitable devices, mostly appearing on ebay, and none provide much in the way of detail so not sure if they will do the job.
I assume a radio frequency device would have a receiver that plugs into the cable switch terminal, and a remote transmitter.
Can anyone who please advise on suitable devices?

Cheers,
Terry

06-16-2020, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Cactus flash receiver can be used as wireless remote.
They also offer a long distance laser receiver that requires clear line of sight as far as I know.
06-16-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frank Back Quote
I've had one of these for years. Vello Freewave .
Thanks for that info.
I'll put that on the list and wait a bit to see what else turns up.

Cheers,
Terry
06-17-2020, 02:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Yongnuo RF603CII wireless flash trigger works fine with my istD*. I have not used it until now with my K-70, as I still have no adapter cable.

The K-3II and the K-1 use the same cable release as my istD* (CS-205). Thus the Yongnuo should work with them. Just be sure it is the Canon version as this has the needed 2.5 mm shutter control cable.

EDIT: The Yongnuo also works well with my K10D - Sorry forgot it, as ist rests in its case at present.

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 06-17-2020 at 06:20 AM.
06-17-2020, 02:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Cactus flash receiver can be used as wireless remote.
They also offer a long distance laser receiver that requires clear line of sight as far as I know.
Cam you explain how to dot that?
06-17-2020, 03:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have both the cactus laser and wireless trigger, I would strongly recommend the wireless trigger over the laser for this. The laser is super fun but fussy to set up, while the wireless trigger will just work.
06-17-2020, 05:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use this unit from Amazon US and its been a very good one amazon.com : PIXEL TW283E3 Wireless Shutter Remote Release Control for Canon EOS R 700D/T5i 650D/T4i 550D/T2i 500D/T1i 350D/XT 400D/XTi 1000D/XS 450D/XSi 60D 100D and Pentax : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20& also I bought this longer cable later to use it as a wired remote https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GWL7F52/ref=dp_cerb_3?tag=pentaxforums-20& . The unit works well and has nice range from 360 degrees.

06-17-2020, 05:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't the laser also line of sight like the IR triggers?
06-17-2020, 06:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Isn't the laser also line of sight like the IR triggers?
It most definitely is.
06-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have been using the Pixel Remote Timer TW-283/E3 for astrotracer astrophotography and cannot imagine life without it.

It has a programmable handset that can directly plug into the camera with a cable (or) be used as a wireless (2.4gHz) remote that connects the included multichannel receiver that plugs into the camera and can mount on the hotshoe. Claims 80m range, but I've never pushed it beyond 10m. Usually I am using the handset directly wired to the camera and velcro'd to the tripod. I've had it over a year and it seems to be holding up fine.

I appreciate the options of using standard bulb "hold the button" mode, fixed time exposure and a fully programmable mode. These really help me when star hopping, as does the backlit display. It has autofocus half-press communication ability. Make sure to get the Canon/Pentax flavor, as there are different models for each brands' cable pinout.

The only negative is the sequencing programming is not intuitive (for me) and the instructions are not altogether clear. There are several good user videos out there and I recommend practice before heading to the field for real work.
06-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I use a pair of Cactus V5 triggers for remote radio triggers. I also use a Miops smart trigger in conjunction with a smart phone.
06-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #12

JCC

I have been using an older model of the one in the link for some years, it’s cheap an works fine :
RF Wireless Remote for CANON RS-60E3/PENTAX CS-205/CONTAX LA-50 - JJC
06-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also use a pair of Cactus triggers. The advantage is that they can also be used to trigger flashes, even non-cactus flashes by putting the flash on the second trigger. However, I have found that the cactus triggers have trouble triggering the camera and flash at the same time due to some delay in communication, so they can either be used as a shutter trigger or flash trigger, but not both if you want a high shutter speed like 1/160.
06-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yongnuo YN560-TXII may be used for wireless shutter release RX with an RF-602 (or other similar) as TX. This sort of functionality is not uncommon with wireless flash systems.

Steve
06-17-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Cam you explain how to dot that?
There is a dedicated cable available from receiver to camera. Instead of releasing the flash the cable releases the camera (or both). Found it somewhere in the manual.