Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Yes, this is another idea! I have some time for the price to come down as I only get 1 dark frame after powering up the camera, but I suspect it will get worse. Maybe it will hold off until I can afford a KP or a PLM lens!
Are you by chance using the original batteries? Order one new one, a 3rd party Watson will do, and after a full charge see if the first frame is still dark.

06-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Are you by chance using the original batteries? Order one new one, a 3rd party Watson will do, and after a full charge see if the first frame is still dark.
I use both the original and a Watson battery, but have not done any comparison. I will try it. Also, the ambient temp seems to affect the frequency, with warm temps making it less likely to happen, or I could just be imagining this?
06-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

I use both the original and a Watson battery, but have not done any comparison. I will try it. Also, the ambient temp seems to affect the frequency, with warm temps making it less likely to happen, or I could just be imagining this?
IMO The only way to be certain it's not due to the battery is use a new one. An old Watson would be no better than an old Pentax battery.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-19-2020 at 03:05 PM.
06-19-2020, 02:54 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I had a K-30 that had aperture block failure. I upgrade to an early version KS-2 and it has been perfect. Then upgraded to the KP. Regardless of the aperture control solenoid, the KP is a definite upgrade to the KS-2. Autofocus and quieter shutter alone make it work the upgrade, at least in my opinion.

If budget won't allow, you can always try to gently file/lube the original solenoid. I did that on my K-30 and it's been fine since. Evidently not a permanent fix, but might get you by.

06-19-2020, 03:45 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
IMO The only way to be certain it's not due to the battery is use a new one. An old Watson would be no better than an old Pentax battery.
Good point!

---------- Post added 06-19-20 at 03:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
I had a K-30 that had aperture block failure. I upgrade to an early version KS-2 and it has been perfect. Then upgraded to the KP. Regardless of the aperture control solenoid, the KP is a definite upgrade to the KS-2. Autofocus and quieter shutter alone make it work the upgrade, at least in my opinion.

If budget won't allow, you can always try to gently file/lube the original solenoid. I did that on my K-30 and it's been fine since. Evidently not a permanent fix, but might get you by.
I am still smoking everything over, but upgrade is moving higher on the list. I would like a quieter shutter, and better build quality is even better! Though I'd still miss the KS-2 as it was my first "serious" camera!!
06-19-2020, 08:16 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good point!

---------- Post added 06-19-20 at 03:49 PM ----------

I am still smoking everything over, but upgrade is moving higher on the list. I would like a quieter shutter, and better build quality is even better! Though I'd still miss the KS-2 as it was my first "serious" camera!!
With the KP, there is the option of a fully electronic shutter.

With all the problems that go with an electronic shutter, BTW!
06-20-2020, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, look, the white solenoids are no longer made by the supplying company. That company relocated production to China, the new ones are green, and obviously don't have the same quality control. The solenoid company probably offers a twelve month warranty, and Pentax would use that within their own twelve month warranty.

My K-S2 is perfectly fine after all these years, but if I was in your situation I'd really think about saving up for that KP. It does not use a solenoid to control aperture, it has a more expensive stepper motor like in the Pentax flagship models.
Mine is still perfect too, although it is used only occasionally as my smallest, lightest alternate model. I also have my old K-5 IIs and the newer KP! While the K-S2 is exceptional in every way for a small, entry-level model, the KP is simply in a different class. Better build, better features, better controls, even better IQ, and the availability of the optional battery grip. This is pro-caliber stuff in a more compact form, and now at a remarkably reasonable price for what you get.

Then if you later find a deal for a fix of your K-S2, it can still serve as a 2nd body. I believe even as is, you can still set aperture via a lens aperture ring, though some operational features may not then be available.

My impression is, the KP price as here in the US is down to the point the new APS-C flagship may not cause a significant further drop, since the new model will likely come in around $1,200 or even more.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-20-2020 at 05:09 PM.
06-22-2020, 03:57 PM - 4 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Mine is still perfect too, although it is used only occasionally as my smallest, lightest alternate model. I also have my old K-5 IIs and the newer KP! While the K-S2 is exceptional in every way for a small, entry-level model, the KP is simply in a different class. Better build, better features, better controls, even better IQ, and the availability of the optional battery grip. This is pro-caliber stuff in a more compact form, and now at a remarkably reasonable price for what you get.

Then if you later find a deal for a fix of your K-S2, it can still serve as a 2nd body. I believe even as is, you can still set aperture via a lens aperture ring, though some operational features may not then be available.

My impression is, the KP price as here in the US is down to the point the new APS-C flagship may not cause a significant further drop, since the new model will likely come in around $1,200 or even more.
WELL, I had a few days off and was able to come to a conclusion. I figured I would get a KP ASAP and repair the KS-2 to let my 14 y/o son use (he has a canon superzoom right now). This has been a very lively discussion, and I really appreciate all the advice, ideas, and suggestions from everyone. I learned alot and feel like I have made a good decision that will benefit me for the long run! Thanks again to everyone!!
07-05-2020, 03:10 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I managed to beg, borrow, and steal (not really) to get the money for a KP as the KS-2 has gotten worse!! The camera came in the "mail" on Friday, but I've been working overtime, so I haven't had time to take it out yet!! Looking forward to using it soon. I'll still miss my KS-2.
07-05-2020, 07:10 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I managed to beg, borrow, and steal (not really) to get the money for a KP as the KS-2 has gotten worse!! The camera came in the "mail" on Friday, but I've been working overtime, so I haven't had time to take it out yet!! Looking forward to using it soon. I'll still miss my KS-2.
A wonderful camera, obviously.

For about $40 you can get a white solenoid on eBay to repair that K-S2, by the way.
07-07-2020, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

You can still use the K-S2 to shoot with lenses that have aperture rings and control the aperture from there in Manual mode - if that is something you are into.
07-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A wonderful camera, obviously.

For about $40 you can get a white solenoid on eBay to repair that K-S2, by the way.
Well, I might or I might not. The KP seems better in many ways over the KS-2, I'm not sure that I would use it much with a choice of the KP in my bag!! But, who knows? I will keep that on the back burner for a while and maybe give it a try. It would be a good learning experience, and I would have another body for someone to borrow or whatever!!

---------- Post added 07-10-20 at 02:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You can still use the K-S2 to shoot with lenses that have aperture rings and control the aperture from there in Manual mode - if that is something you are into.
Yeah, the only manual lens I have is a 50mm screw mount from my spotmatic, but our local camera shop has lots of manual Pentax lenses for cheap. If they are still in business after COVID-19.
07-10-2020, 09:19 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, the only manual lens I have is a 50mm screw mount from my spotmatic, but our local camera shop has lots of manual Pentax lenses for cheap. If they are still in business after COVID-19.
Remember, that doesn't mean manual *focus* lenses.

Just any lens that still has an aperture ring. That includes relatively modern lenses, like the FA35 f2, the FA*80-200, the Limited Princesses, etc.