Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2020, 11:26 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Should Pentaxforums perhaps introduce an agony aunt?
That would open a can of worms. Most Pentaxians are psychological basket cases, almost by definition. Why would any well-adjusted individual be so invested in a lost cause?

I'm notorious for latching onto lost causes.

I love Pentax.

06-19-2020, 02:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Should Pentaxforums perhaps introduce an agony aunt?
You all know there's only person in this forum who could take that on and dish out some truthful advice...!
06-19-2020, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Sorry to hear about so much trounle! It seems at least that you have the ability to absorb this... Not sure what would happen if it were me, I'd have to get a loan against the house i guess.
Well, given my wife is dead and my kids gone, my reasonably high retirement payouts and savings go pretty far. Not rolling in stuff, but can handle a goodly amount. though this last 4 mooths has been a hell of a streak.

That said, I just read that mortgage rates dropped again and are at historic lows!

Pretty sore this morning, but otherwise fine.

Checking with dealer this morning re. "drops".

Last edited by jgnfld; 06-19-2020 at 04:13 AM.
06-19-2020, 05:02 AM - 4 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Well that sucks. Sorry for those troubles.

06-19-2020, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #20
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
That would open a can of worms. Most Pentaxians are psychological basket cases, almost by definition. Why would any well-adjusted individual be so invested in a lost cause?

I'm notorious for latching onto lost causes.

I love Pentax.
Now I know why I still keep on buying Pentax camera's and lenses, Did not know that I was in love...
06-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel for you. I just depleted my photography budget (and then some) for the next few years on a new roof, a new central heat & air unit, and duct work. Thankfully you still have good health and a positive attitude.

Last edited by DWS1; 06-19-2020 at 08:14 PM.
06-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry. At least the camera and lens can be easily replaced.

06-20-2020, 12:11 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I'm gonna' SCREAM

Yes, I did scream!...I lost a sock.
06-20-2020, 01:49 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I have had some very bad luck lately. 12 grand for teeth. 2 grand for new refrig and new freezer. 3 grand for crushed car door. 2 grand for stairs. 1 grand for deck. More grands for various other things. Anyway, took a severe tumble on a decline going down to a floating dock where the decline had a flap projecting upwards that caught my foot. SMASHED my K-70 and 55-300 plm. I mean we are taking pieces of circuit board and glass. Body is insured and may be covered. We'll see. I have my doubts. Lens is not.

I suppose this is a good excuse to buy a KP but mainly I just want to SCREAM. I am tired of one disaster after another.
12,000 for teeth? Are they gold plated!
06-20-2020, 06:26 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hopefully this will make you feel better. On Monday I have an engineer coming to look at the basement in my house. I may have to get the east facing basement wall of my house replaced. The house is only 35 years old.

My worst photo gear day was the day I tossed my Tamron 300mm f2.8 lens. It did however make tossing my Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO lens a bit easier.

In the end it is all just stuff. The slip could have been much worse.
06-20-2020, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wiltshireborn Quote
12,000 for teeth? Are they gold plated!
That's just for lower crowns. The entire upper bite is being replaced with implants. The total comes out to about the de rigeur old man's Audi which I now will not get, I guess.
06-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #27
Pentaxian

That's just for lower crowns. The entire upper bite is being replaced with implants. The total comes out to about the de rigeur old man's Audi which I now will not get, I guess.
No, the dentist does.
06-20-2020, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Heck, I got $11K into one tooth. First it needed a root canal and a crown. $2,500. The tooth,a molar, had a somewhat rare 4th root that the dentist missed so about a year later another root canal and crown and another $2,500 (Unlike car repairs you still have to pay for botched medical procedures.)

A year after that the tooth split. Because of the location I opted for an implant to provide support for the molar behind it. That process took 11 months to complete and involved removing the original tooth. Waiting for it to heal. Then a bone graft and more healing. After that the stud was installed with another smaller bone graft. This involved a hammer and a punch to poke a hole in the bone around to get access to my sinus cavity. After that healed, the crown had to be installed.

Oddly enough, I barely experienced any pain through the whole process. No prescription pain killers or even over the counter meds needed for more than a day or two.

In the US a dental implant is usually between 5 and 6 thousand dollars. It is not covered by insurance because it is considered cosmetic surgery.

The bone implant was made from ground up cadaver bone. It is laced with antibiotics and quite bitter tasting. After the procedure the oral surgeon asked how I was doing. I whispered to him "I taste dead people!" It really cracked him up. FWIW he is an avid nature photographer and uses Nikon gear so we had something to talk about. He usually visits Yellowstone in the winter and I in the spring.
06-20-2020, 04:43 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! You do need a new KP to sooth your state of mind!

But thereafter, be extra-careful and stay healthy!
06-22-2020, 05:52 AM   #30
Unregistered User

cost me $1200 per gold crown (and that's in Fairfax County, VA. one of the wealthiest counties in the U.S., just outside of Washington D.C.). implants are the new high-profit item for dentists - some have equipment leased from a company that enforces sales quotas (i.e., dentists selling implants to people who don't need them because of the quota system). I'd get another opinion. Dentists, like all other licensed professionals are largely human, and as such, some are really good, some are really bad, and most are average.