Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2020, 09:16 AM - 3 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
PLMs are backordered everywhere right now. Was able to locate 1 "near mint" copy in Calgary on eBayplace. Still checking on body options though with the KP on sale right now that's looking like probably the best option.

In better news, 4 years ago I sold my storm trooper K-50 with kit storm trooper 18-55 and DAL SMC 55-300 for $100 to a sailing buddy. This morning when I arrived he had them both out for me. Of course this was easy for him now as he recently bought a K-1 II. K-50 still working fine. I was going to ask him if I could rent or borrow them, but he beat me to it.

This, I think really does show off the kind of people Pentax users are.

06-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Heck, I got $11K into one tooth. First it needed a root canal and a crown. $2,500. The tooth,a molar, had a somewhat rare 4th root that the dentist missed so about a year later another root canal and crown and another $2,500 (Unlike car repairs you still have to pay for botched medical procedures.)

A year after that the tooth split. Because of the location I opted for an implant to provide support for the molar behind it. That process took 11 months to complete and involved removing the original tooth. Waiting for it to heal. Then a bone graft and more healing. After that the stud was installed with another smaller bone graft. This involved a hammer and a punch to poke a hole in the bone around to get access to my sinus cavity. After that healed, the crown had to be installed.

Oddly enough, I barely experienced any pain through the whole process. No prescription pain killers or even over the counter meds needed for more than a day or two.

In the US a dental implant is usually between 5 and 6 thousand dollars. It is not covered by insurance because it is considered cosmetic surgery.

The bone implant was made from ground up cadaver bone. It is laced with antibiotics and quite bitter tasting. After the procedure the oral surgeon asked how I was doing. I whispered to him "I taste dead people!" It really cracked him up. FWIW he is an avid nature photographer and uses Nikon gear so we had something to talk about. He usually visits Yellowstone in the winter and I in the spring.

Your description is right on the money. I went through the same thing a few years ago - hole in sinus, bone graft, implant.....
06-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dwalt Quote
Your description is right on the money. I went through the same thing a few years ago - hole in sinus, bone graft, implant.....
So we have both been to Yellowstone at the same time and we have both had holes hammered into our skulls. Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07-04-2020, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Update: Both PLM and KP are "on the way". Living on an island, that slows things--especially now. Also got news through my shop that Precision Canada (I think it's Precision) can probably fix the K-70 for not a ridiculous sum, but the wait will be many weeks as they were closed for quite a while and so are quite backlogged. Having a backup K-70 by fall, though, is hardly a bad thing! Or I might could sell it/let daughter and partner use it.

07-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sing along night

All together now,
I left my teeth in San Francisco,
High on a hill they smile at me...
07-05-2020, 12:24 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Simple solution: buy two KP cameras and you will never break one of them.
Buy a single tea pot, it will break soon. Buy two they will last forever, both. Works for me, but I admit that I only have one Pentax camera, but that is for advanced users of the double up concept.