Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eye-fi SD card

Anybody ever use an Eye-fi SD card with their DSLR ? I was just wondering about the transfer rates...
For a better understanding of what an Eye-fi card is look here : Eyefi shoots for pros with new Wi-Fi SD card, but it's not without cons - CNET

06-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes used them for a while in DSLRs up to K-7. Fairly slow transfer and limited to JPEGs as I remember. The biggest problem is keeping up with software/hardware issues. Tied to Keenai I believe. It seems to still work but not well supported.
06-22-2020, 04:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have but Eye-fi basically killed off most of their cards due to unresolvable security issues. The cards need access to a central server for configuration. This no longer exists so the cards are essentially bricked afaik.
06-22-2020, 05:59 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I am using it for quite a while already on K5. The transfer speed to a mobile phone was quite ok, but then the mobile app is not available any more, at least not for iOS. So it is just a regular well performing SD card now.

06-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I thought about it a while back, but decided against it after reading almost nothing but bad user experiences. It's a neat concept for sure, but poorly implemented and not sure something like that could be feasible in such a small footprint.
06-22-2020, 09:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two that I can't get working due to the changes in their model. It was a nicer solution than the flu card until it wasn't.
07-05-2020, 03:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My eyefi mobi card stopped working when the company behind it went under. It was good while it lasted but it's disappointing that Ricoh/Pentax didn't come the the rescue for their customers who bought eyefi-enabled cameras (eg. my Q7).
If your camera doesn't have built-in WiFi or Flu-card for Pentax compatibility, there are other WiFi SD cards that work like eyefi - like 'EZ Share'.

07-05-2020, 08:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What worked great when eyefi worked was to put the card in slot 2 on the k-3 and set the slot for small jpgs. The eyefi was set to auto download to my phone and then I had a stream of low res photos to post to Facebook or wherever with zero effort to extract and move. The flu card doesn't do this.
11-12-2020, 05:56 AM   #9

I´m using a FlashAir card (Toshiba) to occasionally send images to my phone, but it´s not very fast, and so i use it only in those moments i want to send an unprocessed photo to someone using the phone, but nothing else.
11-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I've had an eye-fi card for several years but rarely use it. The reason being slow transfer rate and high battery drain. Having said that, if you are doing photo shot and want to check your photo on-site it can be handy.