Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2020, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Slight more seperation of the 'm' in 300ml and detail in the hops but wouldn't notice without pixel peeping.
Now try with your sharpest lens. I bet there is more difference.
Well... you know what I'm thinking now... is the K-new a waste of Pentax's time? Should the next dslr from Pentax been a 'hybrid' of sorts? How big does the FF sensor need to be when getting a APS-C Crop at 26mp? Then you get the best of both worlds? One camera, both lenses but now a crop performance that is equal to a top of the range crop camera for megapixels and improved buffer and fps, but you can of course use the entire sensor in FF mode with your FF glass, just don't expect the same burst rates and buffer.
Perhaps with better engineering the viewfinder can reflect the crop better, switching out a different focus screen or whatever depending what mode you're in. I mean... the K-1 already uses an crop overlay through the OVF when in crop mode to guide you, why not go one step further and black out the rest of the view finder or do some kinda magnification wizardy...

I just never really paid full attention to the Crop mode specs of the K-1 compared to say K3ii or KP, it's actually really quite good, the only inconvenience is the Crop overlay experience and 16mp...

Have Pentax officially announced that the new camera is actually crop? Hehe... maybe it is a Hybrid!

06-22-2020, 01:58 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adding a mask in the view finder like was done in the MZ for panorama shooting but adapted for the crop view should be easily done in the future FF model but if Pentax don't feel the need to do this I won't be surprised. Might darken the finder too much.
06-22-2020, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
Adding a mask in the view finder like was done in the MZ for panorama shooting but adapted for the crop view should be easily done in the future FF model but if Pentax don't feel the need to do this I won't be surprised. Might darken the finder too much.
I find the "frame" indicating the APSC or 1:1 area in the viewfinder more helpful than a mask would be. Seeing what is outside of the crop area is helping to find the best composition IMO.
06-22-2020, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve Perry did a video/article with samples on this topic for Nikon cameras that you might find interesting: Cropping Full Frame Vs Shooting A Crop Camera

He also has another article on the website comparing full frame + 1.4 teleconverter versus crop sensor: Use A Teleconverter Or Crop The Image?

06-22-2020, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
How big does the FF sensor need to be when getting a APS-C Crop at 26mp
The wafer that is 26mp crop is FF 61(sony a 7r4) and crop MF 102(Fuji 100gfx)
06-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
I find the "frame" indicating the APSC or 1:1 area in the viewfinder more helpful than a mask would be. Seeing what is outside of the crop area is helping to find the best composition IMO.
I think I do too, still, it seems we have add and take away overlays like this, perhaps giving the option for the entire cropped area to be masked out might be a nice option for some users.

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Steve Perry did a video/article with samples on this topic for Nikon cameras that you might find interesting: Cropping Full Frame Vs Shooting A Crop Camera

He also has another article on the website comparing full frame + 1.4 teleconverter versus crop sensor: Use A Teleconverter Or Crop The Image?
Thanks, I'll have a look at those links.