Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
One of the reasons why I choosed Pentax were that I wanted to use my fathers old lenses, which works perfectly on my extremely well-built K10D.

//Sebbe

11-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

I don't know the ins and outs of the Nikon system and the general available of the different series of lenses, but I suppose it might make sense at some point to bite the bullet and buy her a new camera body

Hi Marc,
I will make sure my daughter does not see that comment....I'm sure she would whole heartedly agree.

Warnings were issued at the time, patience was encouraged but none of the wisdom was absorbed.

I just make sure I don't let my gear out of my sight when she is around.

At the end of the day, she can use the 50mm as a manual lens, and I guess there is not a lot wrong with that as she is quite proficient with the camera.

Cheers
Grant
11-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
At the end of the day, she can use the 50mm as a manual lens, and I guess there is not a lot wrong with that as she is quite proficient with the camera.
And of course, the irony here is that with Pentax, one of most-often touted advantages is that you can use old MF lenses. Either way, she might have found herself focusing her 50 manually.
11-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, very true.

the other option here is that she still has the DL, so a new Pentax 50mm f1.4 will work on that, with all the features operable.

A little more expensive, but I'm sure Santa will be happy to go that way (now Mrs Claus ...that could be a different story )

11-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

largely because it was nigh impossible to buy a Pentax K200d or K20D in NZ at the time....
Getting the camera isn't that hard... it's the lenses which are all special order.

What is particularly ironic is that the relative rareness of Pentax stuff here makes some people think it's exotic! I've had that reaction from people who have asked whether my camera was a Nikon, to which I reply no, it's a Pentax. They then look confused for a bit, and then say "wow, I've never heard of them, must be really expensive... you must take really good photos..."

To which I just smile.
11-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Getting the camera isn't that hard... it's the lenses which are all special order.

What is particularly ironic is that the relative rareness of Pentax stuff here makes some people think it's exotic! I've had that reaction from people who have asked whether my camera was a Nikon, to which I reply no, it's a Pentax. They then look confused for a bit, and then say "wow, I've never heard of them, must be really expensive... you must take really good photos..."

To which I just smile.

at the time she was buying they could not locate a K200D in NZ, said they could, but they kept coming up dry....it had only just been released.

I had a similar experience to yours on a Ferry crossing to Vancouver Isl. A chap in the seat in front of me was commenting on his travelling companions Nikon, and the Nikon owner was taking great delight in extolling his cameras virtues. I got up walked past them to take some shots and as I did so the bloke doing the looking looked up and saw the Pentax strap and said....
"now thats A camera".....which earnt me a rather dirty look from the Nikon guy when I returned to my seat.
11-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

So, I found a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 at DCW for $175aud....sounds good....doesn't it.

Until a bit of research shows that the auto focus will not work on that lens or the dearer 50mm f1.4...in fact only Nikkor AFS lenses will provide full auto focus features on the D60, making it a manual focus lens.

The prices of AFS lenses mean its going to be a bleak Christmas for my daughter .
I just left Pentax for the darkside, and I will tell you from my experience that the price of N lenses are about 2X what Pentax lenses cost. If you want to move to another brand (N or C) then you had better have a good reason - and it won't be quality glass. Pentax has some of the best glass in the world: 31, 43, and 77 Ltd for example.

I left for the darkside for a specific reason. If you like Pentax bodies, you will not gain a thing by moving to another brand!

11-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #23
Pentaxian

It'll be interesting to see how long Pentax hangs onto their backwards compatibility because, without it, they lose a huge chunk of their appeal. IMO, it's the only thing that helps to offset the reluctance of third party manufacturers to offer all their lenses in Pentax mount.
11-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

at the time she was buying they could not locate a K200D in NZ, said they could, but they kept coming up dry....it had only just been released.
Ah, sorry, a K200. Yeah, I can see that having been a problem when brand new.
"now thats A camera".....
I actually had exactly this happen just the other day with an Aunt of mine. Somehow we all got to talking about cameras, and she was talking about her father's 'old Pentax' as an example of a good camera. What she didn't know, until I pulled my K100 out was that I have, and use, several of her father's (so my grandfather's) M42 lenses.

My grandfather was always fascinated with technology, and I think he'd think the fact I still use his old screw mount lenses on a camera which doesn't even take film was pretty cool.
11-04-2008, 02:46 AM   #25
Damn Brit

Shouldn't this thread be titled 'Thank Pentax for Pentax'?
11-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Wait a sec..before digital, weren't they screw drive?
I'm forgetting all the nuances of Canon's history now
nope, they went from all-mechanical FD-mount (without AF option except three in-lens AF lenses) to EOS EF all-electric mount, with no mechanical links between lens and body.
11-04-2008, 03:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Shouldn't this thread be titled 'Thank Pentax for Pentax'?
Thank Kumao Kajiwara for Pentax.