Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2020, 02:54 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looking at disaster films data, a k1 is only half as much again as a KP despite being full frame so you could probably get away with 32gb, but I would lean towards 64gb. However, given the fact that you have two slots you could mix and match just to really throw off your formulas. Regarding the validity of the post, there are so many facets to photography and PF covered them all, and who doesn't love a good spreadsheet. I sincerely hope you are using speedo dial style charts inaccurate as hell but they look really cool

---------- Post added 06-24-20 at 02:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Wow! That made me sit back in my chair! Some of us, including me, get fun from discussing technicalities as well as taking pictures. If you search my posts here you will find I do both.

Abcasada is a new member here. I hope he does not think we are all this rude.
Here here (or is it hear hear?). Pentax Forums hospitality and helpfulness is legendary all Abcasada needs to do is look at threads to see that. In every extended family there is always someone who is having an attack of the grumpies, the rest of us will more than balance stuff out . And spreadsheets really are cool

06-24-2020, 08:21 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For what it's worth, my average on the K-1 is about 45 MB per shot - although the images seem to take twice as much on the SD card (as I get ~1300 shots on a 128 GB card). The K-7 was slightly lower than the manual's quote of 25 MB, it was more like 18-20 IIRC.

---------- Post added 06-24-20 at 08:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Pentax Forums hospitality and helpfulness is legendary all Abcasada needs to do is look at threads to see that.
Not the "News and Rumors" subforum, though, we get rowdy there .

---------- Post added 06-24-20 at 08:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Looking at disaster films data, a k1 is only half as much again as a KP despite being full frame so you could probably get away with 32gb, but I would lean towards 64gb.
A 32 GB card gets you around 300-350 shots on the K-1, I wouldn't use anything less than 64 GB (for slot #1 - I do use a 32 GB card for slot #2 to store Small JPG files that I use for fast delivery to friends and family).
06-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
For what it's worth, my average on the K-1 is about 45 MB per shot - although the images seem to take twice as much on the SD card (as I get ~1300 shots on a 128 GB card). The K-7 was slightly lower than the manual's quote of 25 MB, it was more like 18-20 IIRC.

---------- Post added 06-24-20 at 08:23 AM ----------

Not the "News and Rumors" subforum, though, we get rowdy there .

---------- Post added 06-24-20 at 08:24 AM ----------

A 32 GB card gets you around 300-350 shots on the K-1, I wouldn't use anything less than 64 GB (for slot #1 - I do use a 32 GB card for slot #2 to store Small JPG files that I use for fast delivery to friends and family).
Sometime last year I had gone to what ended up a four hour shoot with 4 different models using my K70 and KP and 32GB cards. May have been as many as 800+ shots during the day.

Towards the end one card in one camera was filled and needed to be swapped. In a rush of course I grabbed a new card from my shirt pocket where I'd typically carry a spare and put the filled one in the same pocket. Of course you know what happened. Gone, gone, gone.

So that's why I use 64gb cards now in order to obviate the need for a card change because it was full. Same reasoning on using a 128GB with the K1. Yeah cards might fail which is why I always carry a few formatted spares, but IMO the greater danger is losing one because you removed it from the camera in the midst of a photo op.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-24-2020 at 02:53 PM.
06-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abcasada Quote
I'm trying to determine what size SD cards I want to use/purchase.
I got some great advice from Henry's pro services department in recommending no bigger than 4BG memory card because you could back them up on CDs. While that advice is dated I have another concern now.

Most of my work is now done on a laptop with a relatively small SSD. I find that I don't dependably have more than about 32 GB of room on the drive to load images. Since I often sit down and load all the images from my card to my computers, my inclination is to keep cards from 32 to 64 GB to minimize problems in loading images.

QuoteQuote:
Some of us, including me, get fun from discussing technicalities as well as taking pictures.
Sometime those technicalities help you make important decisions when setting up your shot.

06-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #20
Pentaxian

For me, with little technical capabilities, an interesting and thought provoking topic. Currently, i have K10D and K20D bodies, I shoot exclusively RAW (originally PEF, now DNG), using 32 gb cards (as that is the largest the bodies will take [firmware up-to-date on each]). Usually between 100 and 400 ISO, at max resolution. Having just checked, I seem to average 'around' 1300 shots per card, but I always try to avoid filling them totally, so maybe I could squeeze a few more on. I keep a spare card in the battery grip of each camera, so i always have both a spare and somewhere to store the completed card.

When I get my K3 (when finances permit !), I may well, once I have used my stock of spare 32 gb cards (always had this irrational fear of running out of 'recording media', even when shooting film), I'll see how I get on with 64 gb cards, but the advice not to put 'all my eggs in one basket' may cause me to re-think this.

Thanks for making me think, and for once, plan ahead.
06-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I don't know if this will help you out at all, but I look at card pricing and find the sweet spot for capacity vs. price in the brand that I have chosen to put my faith in (Sandisk). The last time I bought cards, that spot was 32GB. The next size up was way more money per GB of storage at that time.
I haven't looked for sure, but it seems to be a 32GB card will hold a few hundred DNG files from my K1, I would expect it would be similar for the K1II.
I also expect that the sweet spot has moved significantly since I last bought cards, which was a few years ago.
Someone above said a 128GB card can be had pretty reasonably now, so if you are looking for maximum ROI that might be the way to go.
Card failures are rare, but they do happen, and if this is a concern, several smaller cards changed frequently might be less of a gamble than one larger card that will take your entire vacation with it if it does fail.
06-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't know if this will help you out at all, but I look at card pricing and find the sweet spot for capacity vs. price in the brand that I have chosen to put my faith in (Sandisk). The last time I bought cards, that spot was 32GB...
I also expect that the sweet spot has moved significantly since I last bought cards, which was a few years ago.
Someone above said a 128GB card can be had pretty reasonably now, so if you are looking for maximum ROI that might be the way to go.
Yup $24.99 for the Sandisk 128mb cards right now at B&H.
06-24-2020, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Most of my work is now done on a laptop with a relatively small SSD. I find that I don't dependably have more than about 32 GB of room on the drive to load images. Since I often sit down and load all the images from my card to my computers, my inclination is to keep cards from 32 to 64 GB to minimize problems in loading images.
Have you considered an external HD? A 1 TB drive is relatively inexpensive.

06-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
A 1 TB drive is relatively inexpensive.
Depending on your definition of 'cheap' a 1TB external SSD might even be cheap. I have a 500gb external SSD I paid $69 for on sale. 1 TB is around $150 - 175. I know that might not really be considered cheap but I am amazed at the cost of SSDs these days.