Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2020, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #1

File size comparison

Hello folks,

I was looking for information on approximate file sizes from the K-1 II, because I'm upgrading from the K-50 and wondering what SD card sizes will have comparable image capacities. I've looked around on the internet and this forum and haven't found much info, so I was curious if anyone knows where I might find this or would be willing to do a quick check on their average file sizes.

EDIT: Adam's comment below links to the K-1 review which gives a full explanation of file sizes on the K-1. Also, the reviews here of several other cameras include this information. I have added columns to my spreadsheet containing what I could find in the reviews.

I started a spreadsheet, with the goal to compile basic numbers on file sizes from every Pentax DSLR. This certainly won't provide the full picture on file sizes in different situations (lighting and ISO changes) but should serve to give a rough idea when considering if you want to use a different size SD card when switching from one model to another (my original goal).

Pentax DSLR file sizes - Google Sheets

If you have data you'd like to contribute, please reply here with the following info (it will be added to the second tab of the spreadsheet):

* Camera model
* File type (DNG, PEF, 3* JPG, 2* JPG, 1* JPG)
* Quantity of files
* Total size of all files (please include units - bytes, KB, MB, GB - and a couple digits of accuracy)

If anyone has suggestions for improving this spreadsheet, please let me know. I don't want to to make it unnecessarily detailed, but if there's something that you think would make it more informative or easier to read, I'd like to consider it. I'm not too familiar with most Pentax camera models and their various file settings, so I may need to add more columns for other file types/settings.

Last edited by abcasada; 06-23-2020 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Clarity, more info
06-23-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We did some tests in the in-depth review, at various ISOs (mostly affects JPEGs) and various shooting modes, for daytime scenes:

Pentax K-1 Review - Performance and Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The key variable to keep in mind is the amount of detail in the scene, so that should be considered (even if it's just a day/night flag) when doing any kinds of aggregate stats.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
"Several digits of accuracy" is impossible and meaningless. Files sizes vary a lot from scene-to-scene, lens-to-lens, and shot-to-shot. Two different photographers are likely to experience very different averages.

Any and all of the following factors can make the image files at the larger end of the size spectrum:
  • more detailed scenes
  • high dynamic-range scenes
  • sharper lenses
  • more in-focus scenes
  • sweet-spot apertures
  • scenes with no motion blur
  • higher ISO settings
  • weird color balance lighting
  • higher sensor temperatures

The best gauge of the relative size is to be found in the back of the K-1 manual which gives the "Approximate Image Storage Capacity" for an 8 GB card and the various combinations of settings you mentioned. You can easily get copies of the various Pentax camera models off Ricoh's site and have nicely comparable data across camera models.

Last edited by photoptimist; 06-23-2020 at 01:56 PM. Reason: clarity & added detail
06-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by abcasada Quote
Hello folks,

I was looking for information on approximate file sizes from the K-1 II. I've looked around on the internet and this forum and haven't found much info, so I was curious if anyone knows where I might find this or would be willing to do a quick check on their average file sizes.

I'm wondering if there is a shortage of this information for all Pentax cameras, or if I'm just not looking in the right place. If there really isn't much of this info available, I'd like to work on compiling some. I've started a spreadsheet here:

Pentax DSLR file sizes - Google Sheets

If you have data you'd like to contribute, please reply here with the following info (it will be added to the second tab of the spreadsheet):

* Camera model
* File type (DNG, PEF, 3* JPG, 2* JPG, 1* JPG)
* Quantity of files
* Total size of all files (please include units - bytes, KB, MB, GB - and several digits of accuracy - prefereably not just "1.3 GB" or "43 MB")

If anyone has suggestions for improving this spreadsheet, please let me know. I don't want to to make it unnecessarily detailed, but if there's something that you think would make it more informative or easier to read, I'd like to consider it. I'm not too familiar with most Pentax camera models and their various file settings, so I may need to add more columns for other file types/settings.

(Of course, if you know of a better source of such data, please let me know so I don't waste too much time with this )
What is use in this? Do not think this has anything to do with the fun of taking pictures. I have probably 20,000 files and not one has the same amount of kb except by accident, so to speak. I advice you to use your time making pictures. But why did you come up with this idea? What is the idea behind it?

06-23-2020, 02:26 PM - 6 Likes   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We did some tests in the in-depth review, at various ISOs (mostly affects JPEGs) and various shooting modes, for daytime scenes:

Pentax K-1 Review - Performance and Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The key variable to keep in mind is the amount of detail in the scene, so that should be considered (even if it's just a day/night flag) when doing any kinds of aggregate stats.
Thanks for pointing to this. The info in the review is very helpful. I also noticed several other reviews have similar info on other cameras, and have added this to my spreadsheet.

---------- Post added Jun 23rd, 2020 at 04:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
"Several digits of accuracy" is impossible and meaningless. Files sizes vary a lot from scene-to-scene, lens-to-lens, and shot-to-shot. Two different photographers are likely to experience very different averages.

Any and all of the following factors can make the image files at the larger end of the size spectrum:
  • more detailed scenes
  • high dynamic-range scenes
  • sharper lenses
  • more in-focus scenes
  • sweet-spot apertures
  • scenes with no motion blur
  • higher ISO settings
  • weird color balance lighting
  • higher sensor temperatures

The best gauge of the relative size is to be found in the back of the K-1 manual which gives the "Approximate Image Storage Capacity" for an 8 GB card and the various combinations of settings you mentioned. You can easily get copies of the various Pentax camera models off Ricoh's site and have nicely comparable data across camera models.
Good point - high accuracy is not relevant here because of the large amount of variance. (I've edited my post accordingly)

---------- Post added Jun 23rd, 2020 at 04:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
What is use in this? Do not think this has anything to do with the fun of taking pictures. I have probably 20,000 files and not one has the same amount of kb except by accident, so to speak. I advice you to use your time making pictures. But why did you come up with this idea? What is the idea behind it?
Glad you asked. There's more than one thing that a person may enjoy about photography. Certainly taking pictures is fun, but others (including myself) additionally enjoy thinking about technical aspects. In this case, I'm trying to determine what size SD cards I want to use/purchase. My main purpose was to create a quick reference so that someone who is switching cameras (in my case, from a K-50 to a K-1 II) could see the approximate file sizes from their old camera and their new camera. Then, with a preconceived notion of how well various SD card sizes suit them in their old camera, they can get an idea what sizes would suit their use of the new camera.

I do my best to spend my time doing the things I enjoy, such as studying cameras, and taking pictures. I hope you also spend your time doing what you enjoy

Last edited by abcasada; 06-23-2020 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Clarity
06-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Page 119 of the K-1 user guide has a table detailing expected capacities for an 8GB card. The file sizes may be calculated from that.

Other stuff:
  • File sizes for RAW capture for a given sensor resolution and bit depth are comparable across brands, assuming uncompressed Bayer mosaic.
  • File size for JPEG depends on pixel count, image complexity, and compression applied.
  • File size for TIFF depends on pixel count, bit depth, and whether compression has been applied.
  • Of the various file types, uncompressed TIFF results in the largest files.
  • If a person is concerned about file size on the card, it is best to have dual slots and lots of cards.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-23-2020 at 03:51 PM. Reason: clarification
06-23-2020, 03:50 PM - 5 Likes   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What was the use of that reply? It had nothing whatsoever to do with his very reasonable and valid question. Some people like to know the capabilities and intricacies of their equipment.
If you're not interested in that sort of thing, great. "I advice you to use your time making pictures" instead of criticizing others' posts.

Last edited by Parallax; 06-23-2020 at 04:07 PM.
06-23-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If anyone has suggestions for improving this spreadsheet, please let me know. I don't want to to make it unnecessarily detailed, but if there's something that you think would make it more informative or easier to read, I'd like to consider it.
Obviously you are looking to compile a lot more detail than I would be interested in. Which is fine. My contribution is that on the K-5 I used 16gb cards, on the K-3 I used 32gb cards and on the K-1 I use 64gb cards. Seems I get (very roughly) the same number of images on each. Or at least close enough I don't bother further.
Hope that helps in some way.
06-23-2020, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Obviously you are looking to compile a lot more detail than I would be interested in. Which is fine. My contribution is that on the K-5 I used 16gb cards, on the K-3 I used 32gb cards and on the K-1 I use 64gb cards. Seems I get (very roughly) the same number of images on each. Or at least close enough I don't bother further.
Hope that helps in some way.
Yep...with the K10D, I used one 16 GB card and moved to two 32 GB (x2 slots) on the K-3. One a whim, I upgraded to a pair of 64 GB cards and now wonder if I will ever roll over onto the second card.

Steve
06-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

. In this case, I'm trying to determine what size SD cards I want to use/purchase. My main purpose was to create a quick reference so that someone who is switching cameras (in my case, from a K-50 to a K-1 II) could see the approximate file sizes from their old camera and their new camera.
Heck, for your K1 order four 128GB cards and call it a day, on sale now at B&H for about $25 each.
06-23-2020, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
One a whim, I upgraded to a pair of 64 GB cards and now wonder if I will ever roll over onto the second card.
Hi Steve! Considering the price its almost a no brainer at this point. I use two cards in the K-3II and the K-1 but the only time I remember ever rolling onto the second card was in Yellowstone. And when I did some milkyway shooting.
06-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Hi Steve! Considering the price its almost a no brainer at this point. I use two cards in the K-3II and the K-1 but the only time I remember ever rolling onto the second card was in Yellowstone. And when I did some milkyway shooting.
I use 64mb cards with my K-70's, occasionally 32GB's. Sandisk Extreme 128MB at just $24 right now at B&H is pretty much a no-brainer if shooting with the K1.
06-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are some general estimates from some randomly-pulled-up photo libraries from each of my cameras. All cases are very general-use photos, DNG format, and usually at low ISO (100-400).

K-1, full resolution - 43.5 MB
K-1, APS-C crop mode - 20.3 MB
KP - 30.2 MB
K-3 - 29.7 MB
K-70 - 30.0 MB
K-5iis - 19.5 MB
K-5 - 12.5 MB
K-500 - 14.0 MB
06-23-2020, 11:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

BUT... there's a counter argument for not buying large capacity cards. 'Don't put all your eggs in one basket'.

Cards fail, get lost.
06-24-2020, 02:46 AM - 4 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Wow! That made me sit back in my chair! Some of us, including me, get fun from discussing technicalities as well as taking pictures. If you search my posts here you will find I do both.

Abcasada is a new member here. I hope he does not think we are all this rude.