Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2020, 01:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two Bugs?

Aight... let's get straight to it;

Bug No.1;

KP & Electronic Level via OVF

So... bit weird but I toggled off the Electronic Level in my KP (clearer OVF etc), but now that I have went in the menu and turned it on... it's not showing

I am yet to do a system reset or firmware update (1.00), but... has this happened to anyone before? I can't seem to get it back at all.

PS: Live View Electronic Level is fine and toggles on and off, it's just the OVF one that has gone away and can't seem to return

Bug No. 2;

K-1 & Hyper P mode & ISO

So I've been playing with this mode recently due to my increase in messing around with birding/wildlife. It seems at default that ISO is set to Auto, however you can toggle out of being in Auto ISO if you have the K-1's thumb dial set to ISO and just manually change it. Sadly however, I cannot seem to toggle back into Auto ISO once I act upon that Thumb Dial, Green Button is not doing it. Maybe some of you readers out there are thinking that's fine, that's how it is, but perhaps you don't know but in Av Mode this is exactly what the Green Button can do (if you set it up correctly). The Av mode is really good on Pentax, you can choose to only control Aperture and let the K-1 adjust shutter and ISO automatically for you, or you can actually fix ISO as well and only have shutter speed change. However at the single press of the Green Button it toggles you back to Auto ISO if you by chance toggled out if it and fixed ISO. I really hoped Hyper P would do this also, but I think it doesn't? (I can't be sure because I am 2 beers and 1 whisky in to check properly in the settings...).

PS: I am also on a pretty early firmware version for the K-1.

My next step is to upgrade the firmware, but that would prolly wipe out my 5 User Modes so am hesitant to do that unless its the only fix...

TIA!

BB

06-25-2020, 02:24 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
K-1 & Hyper P mode & ISO

So I've been playing with this mode recently due to my increase in messing around with birding/wildlife. It seems at default that ISO is set to Auto, however you can toggle out of being in Auto ISO if you have the K-1's thumb dial set to ISO and just manually change it. Sadly however, I cannot seem to toggle back into Auto ISO once I act upon that Thumb Dial,
Ok here we go :

First, AUTO ISO is not a default of Hyper P mode. Turning the mode dial to P the camera should honour whatever your previous ISO setting was. If you have Hyper P mode set to a USER setting and you saved it while in AUTO ISO then turning the dial to that USER setting will re-activate AUTO ISO for that mode.

If you are in AUTO ISO in P, you press the ISO button on top of the camera and turn the rear dial to select a manual ISO setting. If you want to return to AUTO ISO press the ISO button first then the green button.

The default setting for the green button in P mode is to return to program line....eg if you have moved into Hyper Tv mode you can go back to P mode with the green button. You can customise the green button setting in P mode but AUTO ISO is not one of the options. You need to to use the method above.

Last edited by pschlute; 06-25-2020 at 02:33 AM.
06-25-2020, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Ok here we go :

First, AUTO ISO is not a default of Hyper P mode. Turning the mode dial to P the camera should honour whatever your previous ISO setting was. If you have Hyper P mode set to a USER setting and you saved it while in AUTO ISO then turning the dial to that USER setting will re-activate AUTO ISO for that mode.

If you are in AUTO ISO in P, you press the ISO button on top of the camera and turn the rear dial to select a manual ISO setting. If you want to return to AUTO ISO press the ISO button first then the green button.

The default setting for the green button in P mode is to return to program line....eg if you have moved into Hyper Tv mode you can go back to P mode with the green button. You can customise the green button setting in P mode but AUTO ISO is not one of the options. You need to to use the method above.

Yer the best Peter! Thank you!

FWIW, I hardly ever use the dedicated ISO button, when I am in Av mode i activate the shutter dial to toggle out of Auto ISO, or use the Thumbdial to play with ISO (where I leave it at ISO mostly). So does the ISO button do that Auto ISO toggle in a lot of Auto ISO modes?
06-25-2020, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PS: I am also on a pretty early firmware version for the K-1.
I'd just bite the bullet and get on current firmware. Ricoh is not great at disclosing the laundry list of issues fixed - we could use more transparency from them.
A recent firmware update seems to have had no impact on my settings.
What would be more interesting is if you see the same behaviour after updating to 1.53.

06-25-2020, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Aight... let's get straight to it;

Bug No.1;

KP & Electronic Level via OVF

So... bit weird but I toggled off the Electronic Level in my KP (clearer OVF etc), but now that I have went in the menu and turned it on... it's not showing

I am yet to do a system reset or firmware update (1.00), but... has this happened to anyone before? I can't seem to get it back at all.

PS: Live View Electronic Level is fine and toggles on and off, it's just the OVF one that has gone away and can't seem to return

TIA!

BB

On my KP (firmware v1.11) the option is on menu 'Camera' #5 Viewfinder Overlay|Transparent Viewfinder Overlay ... can't help with earlier firmware, sorry, but that does seem to correspond with what the manual says on P.26. You need to be sure you're changing the Viewfinder option, not the LiveView option ... bin there, done that!

Hope that helps

Last edited by kypfer; 06-25-2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: typo
06-25-2020, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Ok here we go :

Yer the best Peter! Thank you!

FWIW, I hardly ever use the dedicated ISO button, when I am in Av mode i activate the shutter dial to toggle out of Auto ISO, or use the Thumbdial to play with ISO (where I leave it at ISO mostly). So does the ISO button do that Auto ISO toggle in a lot of Auto ISO modes?
Of course, this stuff is in the camera manual.

Ditto for the level indicator behavior...

Soooo...ZERO BUGS!

It is so good to know that the actual bug count remains low for the KP!

In the interest of full disclosure, going into and out of auto-ISO is not particularly straightforward on any model and is one of the reasons why I studiously avoid the feature (a tool of the devil, I say). Similarly, I don't use the viewfinder level indicator on my K-3 mostly because doing so replaces the much-more-useful EV scale. On the KP, this has been fixed, but I would likely consider it a distraction on that camera as well and turn it off.

Steve
06-25-2020, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Soooo...ZERO BUGS!

In the interest of full disclosure, going into and out of auto-ISO is not particularly straightforward on any model and is one of the reasons why I studiously avoid the feature (a tool of the devil, I say). Similarly, I don't use the viewfinder level indicator on my K-3 mostly because doing so replaces the much-more-useful EV scale. On the KP, this has been fixed, but I would likely consider it a distraction on that camera as well and turn it off.

Steve
The only auto-ISO I use is TAv mode which I select I really don't like or want the camera deciding on ISO except under controlled conditions. Even though you can supposedly adjust the ramp up/down of the auto-ISO function, I really don't trust it much.

06-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I'd just bite the bullet and get on current firmware. Ricoh is not great at disclosing the laundry list of issues fixed - we could use more transparency from them.
A recent firmware update seems to have had no impact on my settings.
What would be more interesting is if you see the same behaviour after updating to 1.53.
Yeah, I just lose my User Modes and have to redo them all again <sigh>, but looks like I will have to do that.

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
On my KP (firmware v1.11) the option is on menu 'Camera' #5 Viewfinder Overlay|Transparent Viewfinder Overlay ... can't help with earlier firmware, sorry, but that does seem to correspond with what the manual says on P.26. You need to be sure you're changing the Viewfinder option, not the LiveView option ... bin there, done that!

Hope that helps
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Soooo...ZERO BUGS!

Steve
Yeah I was aware that you needed to check the right Electronic Level under the right shooting mode (LV vs OVF), I was still confused as it was not coming back (but was in LV). Steve's point made me think that it had been so long since I used the EL in the OVF that it was working and had replaced the EV scale, and he was right! I was expecting the EL to return to the actual frame overlay (the same way it does on the K-1!) but it doesn't, its down at the bottom with all the other info!

So admin, you can mark my 'Two Bugs' as being solved and not bugs at all (using the term bugs is such a great way to get the best help quickly I find )

Thanks nerds!

06-25-2020, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
The only auto-ISO I use is TAv mode which I select I really don't like or want the camera deciding on ISO except under controlled conditions. Even though you can supposedly adjust the ramp up/down of the auto-ISO function, I really don't trust it much.
TAv and auto ISO is my friend too,
06-25-2020, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
TAv and auto ISO is my friend too,
Yep under fast moving conditions with the 55-300 PLM it works like a champ on my K-3!!