Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2020, 11:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recording Video: signal chain

So, I tried recording video with KP and lt 43.
The thing here is that it is music video, so the sound matters. Within signal chain, I recorded separate sound file and merged in DaVinci Resolve. The result:

However I fell that workflow is complex. Any luck and experience with recording good quality sound into the MOV in camera?
1. Clear, that w/o backing track, the signal chain would go into KP mic input. As I read, the MOV stores sound in sowt format (AIFF??) and this should be a good quality. Anyone did sth similar?
2. With Backing track - I cannot jump over the Video mastering (even if it is ridiculisy simple in DaVinci) however, Point #1 would help a little bit.
3. Recording all in once - not possible... Pentax KP cannot stream directly to PC. This brings back the idea of using webcam, however with such a set of glasses I would prefer avoiding this

Suggestions?

06-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

A good external mic is a must IMO. I do shoot outdoor sounds with my K-3 and I use a Rode Videomic Pro (i.e. a small shotgun). I am happy of the combo for my work, including down a sound frequency analysis (I am most interested in the 10-100 Hz range).
Note sure if the comment could help.
06-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ok, so when pros make music videos they don't use the incamera sound at all. It’s an inferior in all brands to an external recorder. Remember to use a clapper board or even clap your own hands or two drumsticks together so you can sync the sound and video files together in your editing software.
06-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The signal is from 2 mic's to a mic preamp to a Boss 1600CD recorder so I could add reverb, delay, and EQ and mix the two mic's. I use the headphone line out from the recorder to the K-1 mic in and recorded direct to the camera sd card and edited in Davinci Resolve. To prevent the signal from blowing out I dialed the K-1 mic level down to 1. The guitar mic is a great stage mic but not a great recording mic so I have ordered a Lauton Audio 320 to fix that. For my music video's I find the sound quality to be acceptable. So it is doable but if you want to multi track you can still use the recorder track and overdub in Davinci.

06-30-2020, 03:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Ok, so when pros make music videos they don't use the incamera sound at all. It’s an inferior in all brands to an external recorder. Remember to use a clapper board or even clap your own hands or two drumsticks together so you can sync the sound and video files together in your editing software.

Well, guitar is recorded in line, so instead of clapping i hit strings, so the audio in KP that is in sync with video registered it. I do not use amp, so during recording i hear only what is in headphones.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

---------- Post added 2020-06-30 at 13:27 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sqlngtr Quote
YouTube The signal is from 2 mic's to a mic preamp to a Boss 1600CD recorder so I could add reverb, delay, and EQ and mix the two mic's. I use the headphone line out from the recorder to the K-1 mic in and recorded direct to the camera sd card and edited in Davinci Resolve. To prevent the signal from blowing out I dialed the K-1 mic level down to 1. The guitar mic is a great stage mic but not a great recording mic so I have ordered a Lauton Audio 320 to fix that. For my music video's I find the sound quality to be acceptable. So it is doable but if you want to multi track you can still use the recorder track and overdub in Davinci.

Ok, so you basically answered my core question. You use line out signal and route to mic input in K1. This way your video and audio are in sync and sound quality is high. Correct?

06-30-2020, 06:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
Well, guitar is recorded in line, so instead of clapping i hit strings, so the audio in KP that is in sync with video registered it. I do not use amp, so during recording i hear only what is in headphones.

Ok, so you basically answered my core question. You use line out signal and route to mic input in K1. This way your video and audio are in sync and sound quality is high. Correct?

Besides the mic the AD converter is critical. I‘m pretty sure that in-camera AD converters aren‘t the best. But if you‘re satisfied with the sound, noise characteristics and possible signal delay ... why not.
06-30-2020, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote

Yup. The better the mic I use to capture the sound the better the recording quality. Mic's are a lot like len's, the good ones cost a lot...

---------- Post added 06-30-20 at 10:01 AM ----------

As far as quality goes, you heard what I got from the video. It is good enough for me. Weather it is good enough for you is up to you. I'm not a recording artist nor do I have a budget to reflect that. It is getting better with practice but I'm in no danger of kicking Garth Brooks off his spot on the mountain.