Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #1

Flash & White Balance

I posted a thread last week about Flash & Shutter Speed ..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/40340-flash-shutte...-dont-get.html

but wanted to follow up with a question about Flash and White Balance. I'll keep it simple .. when using Flash indoors, what are your recommendations for WB? Let's assume I am NOT shooting RAW and want to get it right from the beginning. When do you use the "Flash" WB, vs "Tungsten" or "Auto" indoors?

Thanks!

11-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would say that the best practice would be to gel your flash and set the WB to tungsten...
This way you won't have too much differences between the flash and the tungsten temp.
11-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Strobist is a great source of information relating to flash work even if you aren't planning on getting into complex strobe work. In Lighting 101 he as a good write up on the basics of using gels here.
11-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #4

Keep It Simple

QuoteOriginally posted by deludel Quote
I posted a thread last week about Flash & Shutter Speed ..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/40340-flash-shutte...-dont-get.html

but wanted to follow up with a question about Flash and White Balance. I'll keep it simple .. when using Flash indoors, what are your recommendations for WB? Let's assume I am NOT shooting RAW and want to get it right from the beginning. When do you use the "Flash" WB, vs "Tungsten" or "Auto" indoors?

Thanks!
The previous posts are 100% correct, if you want your flash to match the ambient light, use a gel to correct the flash. If you are just shooting with flash and are not worried about the background colors being 100% correct, just use the flash preset white balance. I have found that the preset is very accurate for everything in the shot that is illuminated by the flash.
It really depends on what you are shooting and how critical your color requirements need to be.

11-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
Whoa, am I glad I asked this question! Just when I think I've made great strides in learning, I get hit with something like this, I'd never even heard of gels!! The Strobist link was very helpful, thanks ... but for now I think I will experiment using the Flash WB and go from there

Thanks everyone!