Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Weird K10D problem at higher iso

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this problem. At higher iso's (400 and 1600) I get weird M-shaped lines that are semi-transparent that stamp themselves here and there on the photo. I've only shot with DNG and the files are untouched- the squiggled lines are noticeable and annoying- has anyone else seen weird noise patterns?

11-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I've seen VPN and HPN but not M shaped lines before. Can you post an example?
11-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here are samples.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #4

that looks like hair on the sensor. i have no idea why it would show up only at high iso - unless you are using the increased sensitivity to allow for stopping down the lens further.

to confirm that it is dust you can focus your lens to its closest focus, set it at min. aperture (f22 or so) and take a picture of a blank surface. it doesn't matter if its a 3sec exposure, the scene doesn't matter, you just need to illuminate the sensor enough to have a contrast btwn the scene and the dust. if they are hairs, you'll know for sure that way.

11-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #5

Looks like a 'short n curly' on your sensor. What you been doin?
11-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
lol Mindflux, if only that were the answer to all camera problems...anyway, no, there isn't a conceivable way that it would be the answer. Nothing is visible at iso 100-200. And the lines are in different places on the frame- but a cleaning wouldn't hurt.
11-04-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
looks like dust/hair on the sensor; time for a clean I think. The lines being in different places would indicate more than one piece of dust/hair. Do a test shot before and after the cleaning to double check.

To do the test shot, find a light coloured, blank surface (I use my monitor set to show all white, or you can use the blue sky, a white wall, piece of paper, etc). Set the lens to manual focus and set it so that it's obviously out of focus. Go to AV mode, set ISO to 100 and a small aperture e.g. F11 or F22 and take the photo. Although you should be able to see the results on the camera LCD, it's better to load up the photos on your PC, and then with your selected photo editor, select Auto-Levels, or the equivalent. It'll quickly show up the dust and other particles that are on your sensor.

Last edited by pop4; 11-04-2008 at 05:20 AM.
11-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definetaly, those are "short n' curly ones". The fact they show only on high ISO settings is probably because the camera is using narrow apertures (f/11 or higher) whereas at lower ISO the camera will tend to use larger apertures, in which sensor contamination does not show.

Hair fuss as in this case, is the easiest to clean from a sensor. Just use a rocket blower or similar, and next time you are around those "short n' curly ones" and still want to take pictures, I highly recommend a waterproof point & shoot

Robert B

11-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kemal Quote
Nothing is visible at iso 100-200.
Even if you shoot at f/22, like you did in these shots?

QuoteQuote:
And the lines are in different places on the frame
Like, totally different each time, or just gradually moving the frame over the course of time, much like, oh, say, a dust speck floating maybe getting knocked loose every once in a while and re-settling somewhere else?

I agree with the others - until you can show these things looking just as sharp at large apertures, there is pretty much no way to*not* believe it's dust.
11-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

(house) Cool! (/house)