Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18201 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2023, 05:00 PM - 6 Likes   #3586

Photos: Albums
Kodak Z760 SOOC JPEG. Not a technically great picture, but I was blown away by the colors.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
KODAK Z760 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA  Photo 
06-07-2023, 08:45 AM - 6 Likes   #3587
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lumix LX3
06-07-2023, 08:55 AM   #3588
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Lumix LX3
nice!

moon flowers?
06-07-2023, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #3589
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
nice!

moon flowers?
Thanks! They might be - they are very common around here. They are a vine, growing wild around fenceposts, tree stumps, or just on the ground like these. Maybe a type of pentagonal morning glory?

This might be the one:
https://sequoiawildflowers.com/wildflowers/wildflowers_individual/morning-glory_western.html

Last edited by paulh; 06-07-2023 at 09:38 AM.
06-07-2023, 10:38 AM - 3 Likes   #3590
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Always the skeptic, I had to go and find some pictures of air shows taken with that TZ70. It can't keep focus at those focal lengths. Your ability to produce in focus shots with that 400mm lens is to me phenomenal. And I don't think they are bad at all, there's good detail, good color and a very natural look on them. They don't look too soft to me, they look natural (I don't like the over-sharpened look a lot of people go for nowadays).I also looked at static object pictures taken with the TZ70 at the long end. The superzoom lens, the small aperture and the small sensor, I think, do play a part there, I'm not impressed with what I saw. I bet if you printed those airplanes you would not be unhappy with your results.

There's another airshow in my area coming up in early July (weather permitting), so for that one I'm thinking of using a combination of the TZ70 and the K100D plus Sunagor 400mm to see which one works best.

At the airshow last weekend it was interesting listening to the serious photographers around me with their expensive up-to-date gear, mostly mirrorless. I was hearing a lot of complaints about their autofocus not locking onto the planes against the blue sky, so perhaps it's a common problem. There was much worried muttering about various autofocus modes (apparently no airshow mode in the mirrorless world), and I considered suggesting they try manual focus. But by that time I was already persona non grata because they knew what hopelessly inferior cheap old gear I was using.

Apparently their cameras weren't getting the exposure right either, leaving the planes underexposed against the bright sky. So there was lots of discussion about arcana like EV compensation, which is all way beyond me. To my eyes it was obviously an occasion for a reciprocal of Sunny 16 based on the shutter speed you'd chosen to get prop blur, so that's what I went for.

But hey, what would I know about such things? Me with my crappy old gear. I think it was a situation that argues strongly in favour of the optical viewfinder though. I was looking at the actual airshow magnified in my viewfinder, while they were basically watching it on TV.
06-07-2023, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #3591
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I think it was a situation that argues strongly in favour of the optical viewfinder though. I was looking at the actual airshow magnified in my viewfinder, while they were basically watching it on TV.
I keep saying such things but people think I'm crazy. Good to know I'm not the only one

To me photography is all about seeing light, and hoping it will translate well in the pictures you take. So I like to see the actual light, not whatever representation the camera things of it. If I remember the actual light I can make it look a bit like it was, during my PP, which I always do.

...and that brings me to another reason why I like CCDs, they seem to closely resemble the actual light that I saw... (I'm not even talking colors here, that's a whole 'nother subject...)
06-07-2023, 01:30 PM - 8 Likes   #3592
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Enough talk from me, let's see some pictures.

Dahlonega, GA was the site of the first gold rush in the US. Here's some pictures of what downtown looks like nowadays... K200D and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art.

06-07-2023, 01:36 PM - 4 Likes   #3593
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In the previous post, the one of the Museum (second to last) illustrates well how the light is portrayed in a way that I remember it...

Also, notice the sky is not blown out despite it being just before 2pm. I call this the CCD's natural dynamic range compression which is more like what the eye sees than my CMOS cameras, where you have to use a bit that extra dynamic range just to get a ore naturally looking picture.

Another one portraying the light I saw... this time in B&W:

Also K200D and Sigma 30mm f/.1.4 DC Art, like the next one - a detail from the downtown square.

06-07-2023, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #3594
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
sing a combination of the TZ70 and the K100D
I'm thinking you won't have a lot of luck with that TZ70. Someone else mentioned you'll probably miss a lot of shots since it's not going to be very responsive compared to your DSLR. I had an older Panny superzoom, TZ1, from around 2006, that suffered from horrible purple fringing at the long end. I say just keep doing what you're doing, that last set of airshow shots was very good indeed.

---------- Post added 06-07-23 at 01:45 PM ----------

K200D and Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Love those colors!
06-07-2023, 01:56 PM - 8 Likes   #3595
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Love those colors!
Thank you!

One more... from our kitchen table. Same combo... K200D, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC Art.

06-07-2023, 02:07 PM - 7 Likes   #3596
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have some work to be done and goats are around

Probably the most curious creatures on the planet. Nikon Coolpix L6

06-07-2023, 10:18 PM   #3597

Enough talk from me, let's see some pictures.

Dahlonega, GA was the site of the first gold rush in the US. Here's some pictures of what downtown looks like nowadays... K200D and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art.

Just those colours Christian, gorgeous...
06-08-2023, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #3598
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Just those colours Christian, gorgeous...
Thank you!

I keep telling people in other threads that the K200D is the camera I wouldn't part with...

And the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC Art is in my opinion the lens that makes an APS-C set make sense. The rendering and colors are perfect to me, not to mention the natural perspective void of any kind of focal length-related distortions. Just a completely natural FOV. And it's probably the sharpest lens that I own from f/2.5 and smaller.

Add to that the fact that I finally found what I was looking for in PP with ART (it's called Another Raw Therapee, a fork of RawTherapee). I can never live without an easy to use Tone Equalizer ever again. The Tone Equalizer in darktable is more robust and has more bands but I can work with the one in ART, so I don't have to put up with the bits of darktable that I don't like/can't master, like filmic RGB...

Once you find a combination that works, it just works.
06-08-2023, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #3599
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjortron Quote
Probably the most curious creatures on the planet. Nikon Coolpix L6
5 minutes after the picture, that backpack was probably completely eaten...

I have dreams of owning some acres when I retire, and having some livestock including a goat for milk. God knows if that'll ever happen, as my wife is a total city girl...
06-08-2023, 08:38 AM - 6 Likes   #3600
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lumix LX3

"Sporty" '62 Rambler - DA18-55 on K10D

Last edited by paulh; 06-08-2023 at 10:58 AM.