Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18278 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2021, 05:05 AM   #1411
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is the K-m (or K2000) the last CCD camera body that Pentax produced?

I'm waffling on the Pentax bodies vs a Fuji vs a Sony ccd camera....

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 12-06-2021 at 05:19 AM.
12-06-2021, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #1412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe it was the last "new" ccd model(and 10mp); it may have been produced concurrently with one of the 6mp models ??
12-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #1413
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
I believe it was the last "new" ccd model(and 10mp); it may have been produced concurrently with one of the 6mp models ??
thank you...

I'm strongly considering a Fuji S5 Pro...
12-06-2021, 10:15 AM - 3 Likes   #1414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
is the K-m (or K2000) the last CCD camera body that Pentax produced?

I'm waffling on the Pentax bodies vs a Fuji vs a Sony ccd camera....
If you're considering Pentax 10 mpx bodies, I would strongly suggest a K10D or K200D. Better build and WR, plus the K10D has a pentaprism VF. Nothing wrong with the K-m, but it was the lower cost entry-level model.

View of the hills in the Santa Rosa Valley, Calif. DA18-135 on K10D:

Last edited by paulh; 12-06-2021 at 10:34 AM.
12-06-2021, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #1415
Pentaxian

Original Poster
(I'm thinking about buying a CCD body to work with - keep it on the low-low, OK?)
I'm curious to see how you get along with it... being that you have some "interesting" taste in photography sometimes (like not enjoying the 50mm lens for example) I'd say it's 50/50 on whether you'll like the older bodies or not... place your bets, ladies and gentlemen

Since I know you like to shoot JPEG, I would actually say the K-m/K2000 or at least the K200D is the one you want, because these actually have JPEG engines that you can play with. The older K10D, made with that same 10MP CCD sensor, only has the Bright and Vibrant-equivalent settings.

But those early JPEG engines were not all that great, and I think I can get a lot more out of my RAW files than from these cameras' JPEGs.
12-06-2021, 01:53 PM   #1416
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm curious to see how you get along with it... being that you have some "interesting" taste in photography sometimes (like not enjoying the 50mm lens for example) I'd say it's 50/50 on whether you'll like the older bodies or not... place your bets, ladies and gentlemen

Since I know you like to shoot JPEG, I would actually say the K-m/K2000 or at least the K200D is the one you want, because these actually have JPEG engines that you can play with. The older K10D, made with that same 10MP CCD sensor, only has the Bright and Vibrant-equivalent settings.

But those early JPEG engines were not all that great, and I think I can get a lot more out of my RAW files than from these cameras' JPEGs.
which is why I was leaning towards the Fuji.....
12-06-2021, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #1417
Pentaxian

which is why I was leaning towards the Fuji.....
Sorry, I also considered buying a fuji. But there are two points. This is the ability to use photo lenses, fuji's flange focal length is like Nikon's. You can forget about pentax and m42 photo lenses. And oddly enough color rendition. It is not always correct. Rather, sometimes it is not at all the one you are counting on, given the problem with the software for such a specific matrix, it may be worth thinking more seriously. And these rubber bands, fuuu ..)) I'm forty-six ready to accept congratulations)).

12-06-2021, 02:30 PM   #1418
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
Sorry, I also considered buying a fuji. But there are two points. This is the ability to use photo lenses, fuji's flange focal length is like Nikon's. You can forget about pentax and m42 photo lenses. And oddly enough color rendition. It is not always correct. Rather, sometimes it is not at all the one you are counting on, given the problem with the software for such a specific matrix, it may be worth thinking more seriously. And these rubber bands, fuuu ..)) I'm forty-six ready to accept congratulations)).
no worries... I'll be using the handful of Nikkors that I currently have... and pulling jpg's out if the camera ..

but I'm not sure about the rubber bands?
12-06-2021, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #1419
Pentaxian

no worries... I'll be using the handful of Nikkors that I currently have... and pulling jpg's out if the camera ..

but I'm not sure about the rubber bands?
)) Rubber, like Nikon's, peels off, swells. This does not make me feel good, this is the kind of person I am .. But nevertheless, there are problems with automatic white balance, examples of photographs dissuaded me from buying. Look at real pictures in the same flicker and decide for yourself, don't listen to anyone. I have the same Nikon lenses, and yet I stopped.
12-06-2021, 02:59 PM   #1420
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thank you...

I'm strongly considering a Fuji S5 Pro...
The S5 Pro's even earlier release date (2006) would suggest that its JPEG engine might not be much better than the K-m/K-2000 (2008), but it might still be fine (and I know a blogger who loves the JPEG engine in the K-m as well). Don't expect anything like the current JPEG engines in the X-series Fujifilm cameras...

The S5 "Super CCD" had a very interesting architecture... they took the 6MP sensor and gave every pixel a "high sensitivity" and a "low sensitivity" area... this was done through different designs throughout the years. In their final years this became a tiny pixel among the other pixels but on the S5 Pro if I'm not mistaken the low sensitivity area was the border of the pixel. Thus a 6MP sensor became a 12MP sensor but in reality, it's still a 6MP sensor with better low light sensitivity (according to their marketing at least).

I wouldn't mind playing with one at some point but I guess people must like them because prices aren't as cheap as Pentax CCD DSLRs. I would probably have to pay more than I paid recently for my Pentax K-S2...
12-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #1421
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

The S5 Pro's even earlier release date (2006) would suggest that its JPEG engine might not be much better than the K-m/K-2000 (2008), but it might still be fine (and I know a blogger who loves the JPEG engine in the K-m as well). Don't expect anything like the current JPEG engines in the X-series Fujifilm cameras...

The S5 "Super CCD" had a very interesting architecture... they took the 6MP sensor and gave every pixel a "high sensitivity" and a "low sensitivity" area... this was done through different designs throughout the years. In their final years this became a tiny pixel among the other pixels but on the S5 Pro if I'm not mistaken the low sensitivity area was the border of the pixel. Thus a 6MP sensor became a 12MP sensor but in reality, it's still a 6MP sensor with better low light sensitivity (according to their marketing at least).

I wouldn't mind playing with one at some point but I guess people must like them because prices aren't as cheap as Pentax CCD DSLRs. I would probably have to pay more than I paid recently for my Pentax K-S2...

agreed - the prices I'm seeing for the S5 are what I would pay for a solid K-5 at this point....

back to the Pentax body hunt-a-long....

EDIT:

there's also an interesting later-build Fuji bridge camera, with the Super CCD EXR sensor.... with a 12mp sensor, but being a bridge camera, only the one huge-zoom lens...
12-06-2021, 04:15 PM   #1422
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

almost forgot - all the GR Digital 1 through IV are CCD'S, too....

that's pretty tantalizing....

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 12-06-2021 at 04:23 PM.
12-06-2021, 04:18 PM   #1423
Pentaxian

Original Poster
agreed - the prices I'm seeing for the S5 are what I would pay for a solid K-5 at this point....

back to the Pentax body hunt-a-long....

EDIT:

there's also an interesting later-build Fuji bridge camera, with the Super CCD EXR sensor.... with a 12mp sensor, but being a bridge camera, only the one huge-zoom lens...
I think it's a 2/3" sensor, no? Good compared to the point of shoots of the time, I'm sure...

One of our CCD Club members gets some really good results from his Nikon D200, so perhaps that would be a better option for your Nikon mount lenses? I never had one but it was a very pro body at the time, so I'm sure it must have given good files even in JPEG.
12-06-2021, 07:54 PM   #1424
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

One of our CCD Club members gets some really good results from his Nikon D200, so perhaps that would be a better option for your Nikon mount lenses? I never had one but it was a very pro body at the time, so I'm sure it must have given good files even in JPEG.
the D200 is the body/frame that Fuji used for the S5 Pro...
12-06-2021, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #1425
Pentaxian

Original Poster
the D200 is the body/frame that Fuji used for the S5 Pro...
Right, but it has a very different sensor, the Sony 10MP CCD.