Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18289 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2021, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #526
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks. I picked up this M9 in bargain condition. The price was considerably reduce from the original 2009 price but still pretty expensive for such old sensor tech, I guess. I think the prices have even increased since I purchased mine. Even old film gear is getting expensive which I still shoot a lot of film.
The CCD Leicas are very sought after. It's easy to see why - these are the only CCD full frame cameras in existence. For people who like the CCD sensor technology, and there's a bunch of us out there, it's worth it.

The 645Z has been going down in price steadily in the used market in the last 3 years, while the 645D has been more steady. It's gotten to the point that the 645Z is only a bit more expensive than the 645D when buying used. I believe it's for the same reason why Leica M8 and M9 have been going up in price - people are getting frustrated trying to get the CMOS sensors to give them same beautiful images that the CCD does so naturally. (all just my own opinion, of course, but this is the CCD Cult, I mean Club thread, so I'm sure I have good company here... )

03-05-2021, 01:28 PM - 9 Likes   #527
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plumbago flowers, Pentax K10d & DA XS 40mm f2.8 on 13mm ext tube. I originally bought this lens because what I had seen of its rendering online reminded me of my very first camera, a hand me down Voightlander Vito II, and it still does. I know there is supposed to be little in common between the new and old Voightlander lenses but I'll happily take either! - in the meantime this little lens has exceeded my expectations,, and, of course, it's on a CCD sensor here. I feel lucky to have both.

Funnily enough I can't change aperture on this lens on the K10 - it just sits on wide open. Other lenses are fine on the camera, and the lens works as intended on other bodies. I'm not too worried - I'll just accept it as is for now as it is sitting well on * istD S, and other bodies. Anyone else come across this? - did some quick searching online and couldn't find anything.

Firmware is up to date, and I tried cleaning all contacts.
03-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
Plumbago flowers,
Beautiful, Richard - lovely color and bokeh. Have you tried a bit of rubbing alcohol on the camera and lens contacts? Also, it's possible the extension tube is not allowing you to change aperture.

Last edited by paulh; 03-05-2021 at 02:11 PM.
03-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #529
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
tried a bit of rubbing alcohol
Thanks Paul - I can't help feeling that bokeh with ext tubes is somehow cheating. There's probably no reasonable basis for this, but it's just so easy.

No, not yet, just microfibre cloth. Might be worthwhile as a next step as they are both so good in their own right. I'll ask about some next time I go to the chemist.

Last edited by rjbrett; 03-06-2021 at 02:10 AM.
03-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #530
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Okay but it's an M-mount lens. You can still purchase them new, I see.
No, I can't do M mount, just Leitaxed R lenses so far. Fantastic lens, however, and I am supposing that you are using it on one of those mirrorless cameras like my wife's A7. I don't use them because I hate bumping my nose on the screen ever time I try to find the viewfinder. :>)
03-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #531
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The CCD Leicas are very sought after. ...
I guess I haven't been keep up. Like I mention mine was in bargain condition. It was rough looking. But it worked. A while back Leica was offering to replace the sensor in the camera for free due to some potential corrosion issue that was showing up ( I think) and you didn't have to be the original owner to qualify. Well, one day my rangefinder was off after a nasty fall while hiking. I sent it in to get the new sensor and have the rangefinder re-calibrated which I paid for that part. The camera came back with new skin and was looking way better then when I sent it in. So it's a little better than bargain condition now.

The original sensor had an array of micro-prisms (or whatever they were) bonded on the sensor. I think it was Kodak's solution to handle edge problem with the lens so close to the sensor back then. It was impossible to clean with all the little peaks and valleys on the sensor surface. The new sensor doesn't have those prisms anymore and is flat which is a welcome change.
03-06-2021, 10:37 AM - 4 Likes   #532
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
Clever! Good eye on those.
Thanks!

@rjbrett: Outstanding shots! Love those creamy colour gradients.

Here's a fresh Typha shot - K100D, Sigma 28-300, 70mm, f/10.

03-06-2021, 11:23 AM - 8 Likes   #533
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA18-55 on K10D
03-07-2021, 11:10 AM - 8 Likes   #534
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@paulh: Beautiful sky, well captured!

Here's a fresh shot taken using miniature Nikon Coolpigs S01 (10MPix CCD)

Last edited by hjortron; 03-07-2021 at 02:41 PM.
03-07-2021, 09:17 PM - 5 Likes   #535
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First contribution to the thread

Yeah, flowers are kinda cheating, but this little one was just poking up its head a few yards off a local trail. Shot with the Pentax-A 35-105 "Stack of Primes."
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-07-2021, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #536
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
Yeah, flowers are kinda cheating, but this little one was just poking up its head a few yards off a local trail. Shot with the Pentax-A 35-105 "Stack of Primes."
Nice shot.
03-07-2021, 11:37 PM   #537
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjortron Quote
Beautiful sky, well captured!
Thanks, and a fine photo from you as well!
03-10-2021, 01:45 AM - 5 Likes   #538
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 03-10-21 at 01:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
For me the value of using this older equipment includes the joy of making pictures and a love of the sensor rendering, and also the challenge of making good pictures. I think it will be the strength of these images rather than a surfeit of detail that will define it's quality. A dose of well place sharp detail may well play a big part of the overall picture, but it is, as it should be, one factor among others. The appeal, or resonance, of these images for others will be idiosyncratic I see learning to make them with this gear as part of developing the craft. Please do keep posting your pics with whatever you've got Ivan, 'cause you know I like seeing them!

Having said that this question prompted me to look up the current market value for my little Optio on the outside chance that someone, somewhere, in a strange parallel universe might consider swapping it for an M9. It's an older camera but I did find one going here in Australia, for $29 ! - that's $29 Aud too! - Hah - fools !

Another Allamander, Pentax Optio A30. I often screen photos as I upload them from camera to PC using the simpler Xnview freeware, and make a few quick global adjustments to contrast brightness etc, saving those adjustments as a quick sketch if I think the photo is worthwhile and then going on to use other more sophisticated software to process properly. Occasionally, on reflection, I don't think I can do any better with the more advanced processing packages, and have to admit that the quick sketch is about as good as I'll get no matter how much work I put into it. This is one those photos.

I will support you. I like that a large number of telephone photo fans have appeared, thanks to which a huge number of very good equipment has appeared on the secondary market for every taste. I am a secret admirer of 4 \ 3)), and I bought my e400 and lenses for a penny, by the way I consider it to be quite a working tool. It is a pity that ssd matrices stopped in development, they had more color, naturalness. I notice for myself that I get more aesthetic pleasure by minimally working with Nikon D100, Oly E400 or Pentax 100D, the picture is more delicious or something). But I reserve the right to assess this or that equipment. For example, I was extremely disappointed with the LX5, the first impression was positive, but as I used it, I got a desire to sell. Maybe I'm mistaken and didn't understand something, so it's still on the shelf. On March 8, we had a flower day in our country ... And thanks for the flattering review.

Last edited by Ivan; 03-10-2021 at 01:56 AM.
03-10-2021, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #539
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjortron Quote
@paulh: Beautiful sky, well captured!

Here's a fresh shot taken using miniature Nikon Coolpigs S01 (10MPix CCD)
I have to find all my little point and shoot cameras .. ( I wonder if they will still work ..).. after seeing these nice images on those ccd sensors , posted by all of you.
03-10-2021, 10:00 AM - 4 Likes   #540
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice periwinkle and roses.

An abandoned nest found on today's walk, captured using K100D + DA 16-45/4.