Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2021, 04:06 PM - 4 Likes   #841
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
What do you guys think?
Richard gets very good shots with his Pentax P&S's, so there's that I like my Lumix LX3, and it's not really *that* big...but it is fairly hefty with the metal body. I would love it more if it had a VF! My old Powershot ELPHs are very small and easily pocketable and have VF's, but the IQ is lacking a bit. I keep meaning to investigate the CHDK raw possibilities, but meantime over the years I've discovered a few tricks to get the best IQ from the in-camera jpegs. Good luck & we look forward to what you come up with

All kinds of smells to explore after the rain...Canon Powershot SD1100 IS (8 mpx):

06-23-2021, 02:46 AM - 5 Likes   #842
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The Canon PowerShot SX150 or 160 IS may also be an option. Fully featured, rather capable as far as pocket cameras go, built-in image stabilization and runs on 2x AAs. Can't expect too much in terms of IQ (especially in anything but perfect light!) or bokeh, but I do enjoy taking it for a spin once in a while.

Fujifilm's proprietary SuperCCD sensors are also quite interesting. Certain models do support RAW output and even though the files can be a pain to work with due to the honeycomb noise pattern, sometimes the resulting images are really quite nice. Still a tiny and noisy old sensor of course, but I like how additional detail can be recovered from the 10.2 MP RAW file even though the camera itself (FinePix S5200/5600 bridge camera) is rated at only 5.1 MP. So JPEGs are just a composite image of a larger photodiode coupled with a smaller one for less noise and better dynamic range...or something like that. I don't fully understand the inner workings! And thanks to more substantial glass, even bokeh isn't half bad for what it is if you ask me.

JPEG with Fujichrome simulation (ISO200 = noisy noisy!)
JPEG preview embedded in RAW is only 1600x1200 instead of 2592x1944, sadly

From RAW

With noise reduction and post-processing applied

Bokeh example (under ideal circumstances)

Last edited by ZyXELo; 06-23-2021 at 07:57 AM.
06-23-2021, 02:00 PM - 6 Likes   #843
Veteran Member

So, Speaking of Point and Shoots, I have been looking for an older CCD P&S for a while. I have never owned a digital one. I wanted something small and inexpensive.. I settled on Two to try out. I went with a Lumix TS30 for starters. This was the first day with it , I kind of like it...but barely have played with it yet.. What I like is its size,,literally a pack of playing cards size and next I like is its waterproof to 26 feet. I like it has some controls like exposure comp, and Its got some interesting modes. Image quality wise....jury is still out for me..(No Raw) I need to really get out there with it.. Heres literally my first round of pics.

selective color...

P1000962

Standard Image
P1000976

digital zoom/macro
Clematis seeds

P1000978

Raspberry Flowers

P1000981

I had to try the underwater shots... but what a scary feeling as I lowered the camera into a fish tank!

Discus Fish

P1020030

P1020017

P1020037

Underwater works well... flash is a little weak for it but not bad.

al

Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-23-2021 at 02:13 PM.
06-23-2021, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #844
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
CCD pocket camera
That looks a pretty good round up of alternatives! - sadly my little A30 has given out, I had a feeling... The A40 I was looking at online here has gone also, so I've ordered an A30 which looks to have some wear on the body, so don't know what sort of life it's had. I'll see when it gets here. I do prefer that size sensor, and think the pixel densities of these sensors give pictures that are more amenable to processing, even as JPEGS. The Optio A line do allow manual settings where the S line don't seem to, relying on + or - 2 stop exposure adjustment instead. I think I have sometimes used the manual settings to go beyond these two stop adjustments, but mostly I was happiest with exposures within this range. I would also point out that while the Optio line does also allow manual focus it's pretty coarse grained and clumsy, using the rocker switch on the back that would normally operate the lens zoom function. I tried chasing butterflies once with it, and while hope springs eternal I gave that one up after a day or two....

Haven't checked out what Nikon did in this range, might be worth a look....

Last edited by rjbrett; 06-23-2021 at 11:17 PM.
06-24-2021, 04:28 AM - 9 Likes   #845
Veteran Member

Found I had a pair of Yellow warblers in the woods next to me.. The female is here...

Female Yellow warbler

Female Yellow warbler

Al

Nikon D200 X Tamron 200-500
06-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #846
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Maryhill, WA
M9, Voigtländer Nokton 50mm, R72 IR Filter

Stunning!
06-24-2021, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #847
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan178 Quote
Stunning!
Thanks.
You know that filter is great for those, bright, harsh, summer-day conditions where I normally wouldn't bother taking a picture. In fact, I have another digital camera that hardly gets used. I'm thinking on having it converted to a fixed IR camera.

06-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #848
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great for those, bright, harsh, summer-day conditions
Had read that the *ist DS sensor is receptive to IR, and thought of trying a filter but had not considered that use case
06-24-2021, 06:36 PM - 5 Likes   #849
Pentaxian

Faded wild rose
K100D - Exakta 35-70mm 1:3.5-4-5 MC Macro

06-25-2021, 12:42 AM - 9 Likes   #850
Pentaxian

Thanks.
You know that filter is great for those, bright, harsh, summer-day conditions where I normally wouldn't bother taking a picture.
Yep, it is, and i´ve been converting old cams for couple of years (all CCD, of course and with simpliest conversion, just the hot mirror removed)

Been trying with filter alone, but in those i haven´t been so lucky

Powershot G3

Also have the Sigma SD14, great IQ but very clumsy to use:

The *IstDL, quite simple to convert. Also the original DAL18-55 works well in IR.

What i have noticed in my IR experiments is that when the initial excitement is over, just about anything doesn´t look an genius masterpiece when taken in IR anymore!

So whenever i see a good IR image, like yours there, it makes me very very happy!
06-25-2021, 01:28 AM   #851
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan178 Quote
So whenever i see a good IR image, like yours there, it makes me very very happy!
Thanks. I still shoot IR film too. Yours color versions look like full spectrum results. With the R72 filter, I don't get that color. I was going to have a 720nm filter put on the sensor and they say they will adjust the sensor distance for IR wavelengths so your camera's auto focus is still accurate. I dunno if that's needed if you stop down but perhaps for shallow DOF shots you do.
06-25-2021, 01:45 AM   #852
Pentaxian

Thanks. I still shoot IR film too. Yours color versions look like full spectrum results. With the R72 filter, I don't get that color. I was going to have a 720nm filter put on the sensor and they say they will adjust the sensor distance for IR wavelengths so your camera's auto focus is still accurate. I dunno if that's needed if you stop down but perhaps for shallow DOF shots you do.
Well, i use the noname cheap filters so the cutting wavelength is a gray area... On the old G3 the results were colorful, so no way that was 720nm, on *istDL i think it´s not that far away since whats left of the colors are quite faded and examples from web are pretty similar. Final images are results of heavy editing.

The 850nm filter is of course easier with B/W results.
06-25-2021, 02:11 PM - 7 Likes   #853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Overgrown bougainvillea on the shed - DA18-55 on *ist DS:
06-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #854
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Overgrown bougainvillea on the shed - DA18-55 on *ist DS:
One of my favorite flowers Paul... Wish we could grow here in CT. But not possible. Nice image!
al
06-26-2021, 09:27 AM   #855
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
One of my favorite flowers Paul... Wish we could grow here in CT. But not possible. Nice image!
al
Too bad I can't send you some - it's everywhere around here. In yards, at parks, and along the roads growing wild. Heavy gloves are a must when you need to cut it back - the vines have some serious thorns!
« Pluto Trigger | - »