Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #1

The K-1 ii deserved a faster write to SD card, UHS-II speeds are simply not accurate

EDIT : I was wrong about UHS-II certification, must have confused with another system. The K-1 has UHS-1 certification only.

I have a gripe with my otherwise beloved K-1 ii, I am interested in knowing how you guys are managing it.

The writing of images to SD card on K-1 ii is painfully slow. Sure the RAW files are large, but even compared to my friends Nikon D810 with similar megapixel sensor the writing speed is slow. My 2013 model of Nikon D5300 writes SD card Raw + JPEG files in 2 - 3 seconds after filling up a buffer of 5 RAW shots. My Pentax K1 takes over 10-11 seconds to write 11 RAW shots! Essentially this means both are writing at around 30 MB/s speed, despite having been built half a decade apart, with the D5300 taking the lead at times. I purchased the D5300 with 18-55 mm and 70-300 mm lens for $250 locally, which is evidence that the tech used to make the Nikon is quite cheap by now. Surely a premium camera deserves better SD card write hardware?

And if I wish to also copy the images onto SD card slot 2 as a safety measure against sudden card failure, that adds 30-40% more wait time because there is simply no parallel write between two slots. This was silly. Today I missed a shot of the bird flying because it took an unexpected turn, and by the time camera was done writing but bird was out of view.

As in 2016 the SD card write speed of of k1 was already considered one of its weaker points, I really wish pentax had heard and engineered a faster write speed for the K-1 ii refresh. It is a limiting aspect of this camera in high activity situations. The UHS-II certification of SD card slot 1 is also a gimmick - the writing is nowhere near UHS-II write speeds. Such a delight to use otherwise, why do this Ricoh!

I have resorted to shooting JPEG only in high action situations (programmed as a user mode) to keep the buffer length longer, and miss fewer shots.

- How are you guys managing the long write times to SD card?
- Are there any particular SD cards that offer better experience?
- Would you shoot 15 MP RAW or 36 MP JPEG, to increase the buffer depth and reduce the writing time of the K-1 beyond what it offers for 36 MP raw?

Any tips are welcome, and thanks for your response in advance!

Last edited by brainwave; 07-10-2020 at 01:00 PM.
07-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You do make a point and it has been discussed at length long before. I doubt making such a change would have been possible with the K-1ii as nothing with the fundamental architecture changed.

Besides the K-1 / K-1ii are designated as "field cameras" so high frame rate was not a design consideration. Its never been an issue for me as 30 to 40 shots per day would be a lot unless I'm shooting brackets. But I can see where it would get frustrating for machine gun shooters.
07-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Write time is never a problem for me. I don't do sports/wildlife, but if I did I think I would be using a different model if write speed was a consideration.
07-10-2020, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

As in most business he key words are location, location, and location. In the case of the K-1, it was features for Price point, price point, and price point.

07-10-2020, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by brainwave Quote
UHS-II certification of SD card slot 1
I wasn't aware that the K-1 had UHS-II support. Where did you see this? AFAIK Pentax has used UHS-I slots on all of the recent DSLRs (the 30 Mb/s write speed is also consistent with our tests).

I agree that the write speeds are slow by modern standards, but I doubt Pentax will make improving this a priority until 4K video support is added, or they incorporate a higher-res sensor. Let's see if the specs see any improvement in the upcoming APS-C body.

One trick to make this less painful (apart from only using a single slot for burst shooting) is to make sure that lens corrections are disabled, especially distortion corrections. This will, at the very least, prevent the camera from locking up while it is writing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's awful. I don't see how Pentax *couldn't* make it a priority on a new full-frame camera. They explicitly had a sufficient buffer on K-5 and K-3 to handle a lot of shots.I feel like the "field camera" designation was at least partly marketing to direct people away from this shortcoming. I am not exactly a "machine gun" shooter, but I do encounter candid situations where I run into the buffer limitation.

One way you could help it a little bit is to set your mode to only RAW, and no JPEGs. Then you can get 3-4 more frames in a burst before it makes you wait.
07-10-2020, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wasn't aware that the K-1 had UHS-II support. Where did you see this? AFAIK Pentax has used UHS-I slots on all of the recent DSLRs (the 30 Mb/s write speed is also consistent with our tests).

I agree that the write speeds are slow by modern standards, but I doubt Pentax will make improving this a priority until 4K video support is added, or they incorporate a higher-res sensor. Let's see if the specs see any improvement in the upcoming APS-C body.

One trick to make this less painful (apart from only using a single slot for burst shooting) is to make sure that lens corrections are disabled, especially distortion corrections. This will, at the very least, prevent the camera from locking up while it is writing.
I was wrong, I must have misread the SD Card 1 slot on the camera specs - it is only UHS-1 certified. Thank you for pointing out. I have already disabled all processing in my customized "fast mode", it definitely has helped me to maintain the "flow" of shooting since the camera doesn't lock up.

---------- Post added 07-10-20 at 01:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
As in most business he key words are location, location, and location. In the case of the K-1, it was features for Price point, price point, and price point.
I am aware, that is why I cited the D5300 as an example for cost not being a factor in having good write speeds. I do think they could have done a better job over at Ricoh, at least making the SD Card writes less painful.

07-10-2020, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brainwave Quote
I am aware, that is why I cited the D5300 as an example for cost not being a factor in having good write speeds. I do think they could have done a better job over at Ricoh, at least making the SD Card writes less painful.
I use UHS II cards in my K-1 but for the speed of uploading to my computers. With an actual UHS II card reader it is at least 3 to 4 times faster. And they re future proof also!
07-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #9
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Brainwave

I have'nt had my coffee yet.
Is there something wrong with your new K1-ii and 28 - 105. ?
If so and I see you have also bought a Nikon which you seem to be much happier with,my possible solution for you.
I would by the K 1 + lens for the price of the Nikon, then will not need to start another thread complaining about your choice.
Unfortunately I have only seen you unhappy threads.

Dave
07-10-2020, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Brainwave

I have'nt had my coffee yet.
Is there something wrong with your new K1-ii and 28 - 105. ?
If so and I see you have also bought a Nikon which you seem to be much happier with,my possible solution for you.
I would by the K 1 + lens for the price of the Nikon, then will not need to start another thread complaining about your choice.
Unfortunately I have only seen you unhappy threads.

Dave
Hi Dave

Hopefully the morning coffee will improve your mood, you seem upset at my threads pointing out some possible deficiencies with the camera system I own

The Nikon was my first DSLR purchase and entry to photography - in July of 2019. I do consider it very fondly, but cameras are to me merely tools to make a picture so I try to be objective rather than emotional while thinking about them. I came by some money so jumped the ship to Pentax, and its a camera I enjoy using very much minus the gripes.

The reason behind these posts are to get other pentaxian's experience on how they handle it. Both threads set a context to explain where I am coming from, and then end with clear questions seeking advice. As to the critical nature of the threads I have been starting - I hope it doesn't bother you too much. The more I use my camera, the more advice I shall seek from forum users on how to work around the issues I notice.

If you wish to see some positive posts of mine, you could checkout my Flickr or the Single In posts, which should be ample cheerful/thoughtful! At the moment I am not considering selling the equipment, there is more fun to be had first. Rest assured I shall reach out to you with an offer should I decide to sell it.

Wish you a good day,
Brahm

Last edited by brainwave; 07-10-2020 at 04:29 PM.
07-10-2020, 04:52 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"The reason behind these posts are to get other pentaxian's experience on how they handle it."

I own a K1 ii. Love it. No complaints whatsoever. Of course while researching its pros and cons I knew fast buffering would not be placed in the first column. Didn't need it. Didn't concern me. Was not important. If it was I would not have bought it. Like on board flash. Didn't want it. Didn't need it.
07-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
"The reason behind these posts are to get other pentaxian's experience on how they handle it."

I own a K1 ii. Love it. No complaints whatsoever. Of course while researching its pros and cons I knew fast buffering would not be placed in the first column. Didn't need it. Didn't concern me. Was not important. If it was I would not have bought it. Like on board flash. Didn't want it. Didn't need it.
Tomorrow I might find the slowish write times are a problem. My portrait shooting style is fast and focused. On the K-70's I almost never find it an issue but it will get tested this weekend on a K-1.
07-10-2020, 05:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Get the fastest cards available. The Sandisk Extreme Pro are quite good.

In a situation where I might need it I have the Function dial set to Crop, and can easily switch from apsc mode to full frame with the third dial. This gives a quicker frame rate and more buffer room.

And yes a faster write would be nice.
07-10-2020, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

The camera will ultimately still write to SD cards at the same [slow] speed, but a boost in apparent camera processing speed can certainly be achieved.

As Adam highlights, for faster camera image processing turn off all your in-camera lens corrections (plus GPS metadata writes, noise reduction etc etc etc) .

And choose fast SD cards. Plus shoot either RAW or JPEG, but not both.

Tuning AF parameters - like your AF grouping (Auto,Expanded Area S/M/L/spot etc), the 'Action in AF-C Continuous' setting (Focus or Release priority), AF Hold settings etc - can often help make the camera more responsive.

I also feel that sometimes even the metering settings one chooses (eg Auto, centre, spot) can make the camera feel snappier - up until it chokes on a clogged SD card write pipeline. Certainly lower ISO images may often generate smaller files, hence help with faster card writes.
07-10-2020, 09:56 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The camera will ultimately still write to SD cards at the same [slow] speed, but a boost in apparent camera processing speed can certainly be achieved.

As Adam highlights, for faster camera image processing turn off all your in-camera lens corrections (plus GPS metadata writes, noise reduction etc etc etc) .

And choose fast SD cards. Plus shoot either RAW or JPEG, but not both.

Tuning AF parameters - like your AF grouping (Auto,Expanded Area S/M/L/spot etc), the 'Action in AF-C Continuous' setting (Focus or Release priority), AF Hold settings etc - can often help make the camera more responsive.

I also feel that sometimes even the metering settings one chooses (eg Auto, centre, spot) can make the camera feel snappier - up until it chokes on a clogged SD card write pipeline. Certainly lower ISO images may often generate smaller files, hence help with faster card writes.
Thanks for the insightful answer. The metering and exposure settings for smaller image and noise reduction processing affecting camera responsiveness is new information for me. I'll try out out, thank you!

---------- Post added 07-10-20 at 09:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Get the fastest cards available. The Sandisk Extreme Pro are quite good.

In a situation where I might need it I have the Function dial set to Crop, and can easily switch from apsc mode to full frame with the third dial. This gives a quicker frame rate and more buffer room.

And yes a faster write would be nice.
Ah, the dial usage to change crop is a nifty tip, I'll do that too. Thanks!