Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2020, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
I'm looking to replace my K-7, which I have loved but which is broken. Thanks to feedback on this forum, I've narrowed my choices down to the K-5 IIs and the K-70. I'm slightly leaning K-70 because it's newer and has some nice features, but the K-5 IIs seems to be a bit more loved and respected. .

In the end, I'm looking for image quality (of course) and detail (such as needed for photographing jewelry), best one for still and indoor shooting, and which is better for frequent low-light conditions. I won't be shooting action or landscapes. I just now read a review for the K-5 IIs that claims it's not good for things like fabric (moiré-pattern issues), and I shoot a lot of clothing. Some fabrics reproduce with at least some moiré, no matter what you do. Thank you in advance for your feedback; I appreciate it.
If the K7 is serving you well, a K-5IIs will work fine and have many improvements as it is three years newer technology than your K-7. A K-70 is seven years newer technology wise and will offer much better low light performance and many other improvements that would seem major over the K-5 series which is older, but a more expensive camera when new. Personally when upgrading I go to the newest model I can afford, so in your case I would recommend the K-70, but for what you are doing the K-5IIs will work. And if you are not using a tripod I would recommend that too, then the low light won't be as important.

07-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looked at the K-3/K-3II, but the main factor for me was weight. My K-7 was great for me for years; felt great in my hands. I liked the heft, but I know some people don't. Now have some arthritis in my hands and I also do one-handed shooting on occasion, so I don't want anything heavier and would like to go lighter if possible.
The K-3II is 35 grams heavier than the K-7, the weight of two and a half tablespoons of water. That said, pain is pain and if weight is important, the K-70 is your better choice, particularly if you are doing product photography where moiré may be present. I am fortunate that arthritis in my hands is not among my physical challenges. If it were, I might have some concern about the grip contour of the K-70. Much depends on hand size.

Steve
07-12-2020, 03:10 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
No top LCD is a bit of a pity but I can live with that as the "flippy screen" more than makes up for that lack most of the time.
The lack of the top LCD along with the small battery would be a concern for me as would the lack of easy ability to use external power when doing product work. I almost always leave the rear LCD turned off on my K-3 to extend battery life.

Steve
07-12-2020, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

TBH, I find the grip contour of the K-70 to be "absolutely fine" and quite comfortable, with my quite large right hand, especially when I don't have to hold it tightly for an extended period - but that's just what works for me.

Last edited by jeallen01; 07-12-2020 at 03:30 PM.
07-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm looking to replace my K-7, which I have loved but which is broken. Thanks to feedback on this forum, I've narrowed my choices down to the K-5 IIs and the K-70. I'm slightly leaning K-70 because it's newer and has some nice features, but the K-5 IIs seems to be a bit more loved and respected. .

In the end, I'm looking for image quality (of course) and detail (such as needed for photographing jewelry), best one for still and indoor shooting, and which is better for frequent low-light conditions. I won't be shooting action or landscapes. I just now read a review for the K-5 IIs that claims it's not good for things like fabric (moiré-pattern issues), and I shoot a lot of clothing. Some fabrics reproduce with at least some moiré, no matter what you do. Thank you in advance for your feedback; I appreciate it.
You might find some advantages investing in a secondhand flagship (the K-3) over a brand new entry level model (K-70), AMC!
07-12-2020, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If the K7 is serving you well, a K-5IIs will work fine and have many improvements as it is three years newer technology than your K-7. A K-70 is seven years newer technology wise and will offer much better low light performance and many other improvements that would seem major over the K-5 series which is older, but a more expensive camera when new. Personally when upgrading I go to the newest model I can afford, so in your case I would recommend the K-70, but for what you are doing the K-5IIs will work. And if you are not using a tripod I would recommend that too, then the low light won't be as important.
I normally do the opposite when buying used -- buy what was more expensive when new. But in this case, there's quite a bit of difference in age between the two.

The lack of top LCD is concerning. I'm so used to having it. But it doesn't appear to be a big problem for most people.

I generally don't use a tripod, but am going to start doing so for jewelry.

The arthritis in my hands isn't painful so much as it results in weakness at times. So I'm thinking ahead. I keep my cameras a long time and don't want to be buying another in just a year or two.

So, it's quite the dilemma, since it sounds as if either will do the job. Decisions, decisions. Argh!
07-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The K-7 and K-5 IIs are physically very close. You won't have to relearn where all the controls are. At first I would sometimes pick up the wrong camera, but I suppose you'd notice that a lot quicker because your K-7 is broken. It's a good camera even today, but used prices are higher to reflect that.

I think I would take a chance on a K-70 just because it's recent, but from a place that allows returns because it's a lower tier camera and may feel cheaper or have annoying controls. The features look fine on paper but feel is personal.
Thank you! That's another concern. I'm sure I can get used to the controls on the K-70, but have been wondering if the feel will indeed be "cheaper." I really like how solid my K-7 feels. It would be a great idea to make sure if I get the K-70 that I can return it if I decide I'd prefer something that feels and acts more like the K-7.

Although I plan on picking up another "vintage" k-mount lens (not a problem that you have to focus manually), it would be nice to have something compatible with current and future lenses....

07-13-2020, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you! That's another concern. I'm sure I can get used to the controls on the K-70, but have been wondering if the feel will indeed be "cheaper." I really like how solid my K-7 feels. It would be a great idea to make sure if I get the K-70 that I can return it if I decide I'd prefer something that feels and acts more like the K-7. ....
you could rent the K 70 or K 3 II to see how they work with you
QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
Read more at: Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

I have used LensRental and they just announced a discount
Get Ready To PAAAAAAARTY!

20 % off

Use code PARTY20

valid until 7.24 | one use per customer

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more
07-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #24

Original Poster
Thanks so much, everybody, for your help here. I don't have the in-depth knowledge that most of you do, and your feedback is really appreciated. TBH, I never did use my K-7 to its fullest, but I liked the ability to do "more" with it as I had time. Just as I was pushing my own limits with it, it died on me! Sigh. So, the K-70, although not as advanced, from what I can tell, would more than be able to do what I need it to do.

I think it's gonna depend on price. If I can find a K-70 within my budget, I think I'll go for it. Otherwise, I'm sure I'll be happy with the K-5 IIs. Either is an upgrade over the K-7.

ETA: I guess the KP-70 body is mostly plastic instead of metal; has this made a huge difference in feel to any of you? TIA.

Last edited by amc654; 07-13-2020 at 10:59 AM. Reason: added comment
07-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #25
Pentaxian

IMHO, the K-70 feels "very solid" indeed - so I would not have any worries about that aspect

PS: I think that referring to the body as mainly "plastic" is rather "misleading" because that word covers " a multitude of sins", i.e. everything from brittle stuff that breaks when you just "look at it" to other stuff that a hammer will bounce off if you hit it hard - and the K-70 body material looks/feels much nearer the latter than the former

PPS: had a few "accidents" with my Pentax bodies, and the latest of those was last year on a river cruise on the Rhone - the K-70 had the old Sigma 17-70 on it and was in the zipped small top compartment on my LowePro Flipside backpack. Whilst still on the boat (luckily!) I turned around rather sharply - and the camera and lens flew out of the backpack and hit the carpeted floor about 2m away because the I hadn't done the zipper up completely.

A couple of "sweating" minutes and several experimental frames later, I concluded that everything seemed to be fine, as has been confirmed over the following few months (No, make that nearly a year!)

Pentax make tough camera bodies, and Sigma make (or at least used to make) tough lenses

Last edited by jeallen01; 07-13-2020 at 11:56 AM.
07-13-2020, 11:47 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
IMHO, the K-70 feels "very solid" indeed - so I would not have any worries about that aspect

PS: I think that referring to the body as mainly "plastic" is rather "misleading" because that word covers " a multitude of sins", i.e. everything from brittle stuff that breaks when you just "look at it" to other stuff that a hammer will bounce off if you hit it hard - and the K-70 body material looks/feels much nearer the latter than the former
Terrific information; thank you! Yes, I can certainly understand the "plastic" issue. There's plastic, and then there's plastic. I bought a plastic desk tray for my office that I was worried would be flimsy, but the thing is rock-solid, practically indestructible! My only frame of reference is the Canons and Nikons I looked at before I bought my K-7. I just liked the feel of my Pentax models more. It sounds like the K-70 wouldn't feel flimsy in comparison. "Feel" really does make a difference.
07-13-2020, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

@amc654 - read the PPS that I have just added to my latest post.

PS :cheap "plasti-CaNikon" bodies, and especially their construction, UI's and actual facilities, don't bear comparison with the "equivalent" generation Pentax ones. OTOH, the latest ones appear (from what I have read) to have a lot better AF. So, it's a bit of a personal choice = "survivability" with good AF & IQ versus the "latest and best" AF & IQ - but questionable longterm "value"??

Last edited by jeallen01; 07-13-2020 at 01:42 PM.
07-14-2020, 04:28 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Both great at their own leagues i would say. We have the basic K-5 and K-70 in the house and while K-5 shines in ergonomics, ruggedness and battery life the K-70 has articulating screen and stellar IQ. I would not give up neither of them.
And when the original K-5 has totally acceptable IQ, the K-5iis would be even better. Best what the 16Mpix sensor has to offer, maybe.

As mentioned earlier, the K-70 feels little plasticky on comparison to K-5/3 series, but it feels solid compared to other brands in similar pricerange.
Damn, my old K-x has took the beating and still works as new, i have no worries about build quality of K-70
07-14-2020, 05:05 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you all! And pardon my typo! I don't know how that "P" got in there in the title! A portmanteau of the KP and the K-70, I guess, since I briefly considered the KP. Fixed now.

I looked at some used KPs online, but I don't have the budget. Trying to get away with under $400 with shipping. So the K-70 is pushing the upper limits, I think I can get one on eBay with "make an offer" listings. Or just wait until some of them that have been sitting at more than $400 go down in price.
Our own Marketplace has one at that price, looks relatively unused AAMOF. I don't know the seller so due diligence as always.

Pentax k-70 dslr body - PentaxForums.com
07-14-2020, 05:40 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Our own Marketplace has one at that price, looks relatively unused AAMOF. I don't know the seller so due diligence as always.

Pentax k-70 dslr body - PentaxForums.com
Thank you, gatorguy! I've been in touch with the seller.

Right now, I'm working with someone on eBay who has one with similar shutter count, so I'll see what happens with that. I imagine some people would be hesitant to buy through eBay, but both of my Pentax's have been purchased that way, and both have given me years of service. I've had the K-7, bought used, for 8 years and have more than gotten my money's worth.

(Wish I'd been looking just a couple of weeks ago. Two were on auction listings, and the sellers got hammered [$270 & $290 ending prices; crazy, but that's what they get on eBay's selling model of start at under $1 and pray you sell high]. I don't expect to be able to replicate that pricing, though! LOL.)