Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2020, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

I have long had the K-5 IIs, also the K-S2 (the predecessor and very similar in design to the K-70), and now the KP. If I had to choose between the K-5 IIs and the K-S2, I would go with my older K-5 IIs, even though the K-S2 has more updated features, such as the articulating screen. The K-S2 is an exceptionally nice entry-level camera and is exceptionally compact for the features it offers, but it (and K-70) is simply not a pro-style design with the finger-tip controls and rugged build quality flagship models such as the K-5 IIs (and your K-7) have. I love the handling of my K-5 IIs in actual use for any need to make changes on the fly. If you can find one with very low use and in pristine condition, I think you would be very satisfied. You are right, it is a couple of oz. lighter than the K-3. This is not a big deal, but enough for me to notice while I'm engaged in many of my activities.

OTOH, if you can somehow land a deal on a KP, this model could be your best choice. It has the rugged build but in a more compact body. It is yet another couple of oz, lighter than the K-5 IIs! It has the pull-out rear screen, handy for working with a tripod down low. Imaging is excellent. Advancements in metering, AF, and much more. It is a compact wonder, with its own uniquely-designed set of controls, far superior to the K-S2 or the K-70. I am crazy about mine!

07-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I have long had the K-5 IIs, also the K-S2 (the predecessor and very similar in design to the K-70), and now the KP. If I had to choose between the K-5 IIs and the K-S2, I would go with my older K-5 IIs, even though the K-S2 has more updated features, such as the articulating screen. The K-S2 is an exceptionally nice entry-level camera and is exceptionally compact for the features it offers, but it (and K-70) is simply not a pro-style design with the finger-tip controls and rugged build quality flagship models such as the K-5 IIs (and your K-7) have. I love the handling of my K-5 IIs in actual use for any need to make changes on the fly. If you can find one with very low use and in pristine condition, I think you would be very satisfied. You are right, it is a couple of oz. lighter than the K-3. This is not a big deal, but enough for me to notice while I'm engaged in many of my activities.

OTOH, if you can somehow land a deal on a KP, this model could be your best choice. I am crazy about mine!
Such great feedback! I keep wavering, but for now, have made an offer on a K-70 on eBay. You can buy a brand-new body only for $546, but sellers are asking well more than $400 for used ones. If had $450 for a used one, I'd just go buy a new one for $100 more. Or get a used one for about $425 at B & H or Adorama with warranty and return acceptance.

If I can't get a K-70 at my price point, I'm going to go for a K-5 IIs and get another lens (a good used one) to go with it. I can do that for about the same price as many of the used K-70 bodies I've seen.

I do like the fact that the controls on the K-5 IIs are so similar to my K-7; I doubt I'd have any trouble getting used to it. But I'm kind of liking the idea of such a new camera. I don't mind buying used and have had great luck, but a newer used one is tempting. We'll see. I'm perfectly happy to go the other route as well.
07-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #33

Original Poster
Well, I'm awaiting my K-70, which I purchased complete with the 18-135mm kit lens. I was going to buy just a body and put one of my old lenses on it, but I decided to get the newer lens and use my older lenses as needed. This body supposedly only has a shutter count of 12, so should be "like new."

Call me crazy, but I'm also looking at a K-5 IIs body I may be able to get reasonably and then see which one I like better. I'm still a little reluctant to give up the feel of the better body and the familiarity of the controls, but we'll see....

I can't afford to keep both, but at least selling my K-7 (which now works after the guy at the camera shop re-set it, but only in manual mode) will help defray the cost of either, though. Two bodies is all I really need, and I'm keeping my K-100D Super. (Well, I myself could use another body, but that's a different topic altogether.)
07-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

The lens is very good- very versatile, fine IQ, as well as providing outstandingly fast, quiet, accurate AF. Makes me wonder why a hardly-used K-70 would be up for sale? The K-5 IIs, however, is more in keeping with the kind of pro-style body you are used to, but with upgraded IQ over the K-7.

07-26-2020, 08:07 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The lens is very good- very versatile, fine IQ, as well as providing outstandingly fast, quiet, accurate AF. Makes me wonder why a hardly-used K-70 would be up for sale? The K-5 IIs, however, is more in keeping with the kind of pro-style body you are used to, but with upgraded IQ over the K-7.
I went back and forth for a long time before deciding on the k-70. The two deciding factors were the weight and the reputed-to-be superlative IQ. As I get older, I have trouble with my hands and although the weight difference isn't huge, I think the lighter body is probably better for me in the long run. I've heard, though, that some folks used to the pro-style bodies have a hard time making the transition, so I'm still on the lookout for a K-5 IIs.

The k-70 was, according to the seller, in an estate sale along with another one. Seller seems to be knowledgeable, though. (Could ascertain shutter count, while I've had two supposedly knowledgeable retail-store employees tell me you can't do that with a k-70. Like, what?)
07-27-2020, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
(Could ascertain shutter count, while I've had two supposedly knowledgeable retail-store employees tell me you can't do that with a k-70. Like, what?)
Well, unless I'm wrong there, there's no Pentax camera that can tell you the shutter count - you'll have to look at an image file generated by the camera and look at the EXIF info for shutter count (?). So if I'm right there and I understood you correctly, they were technically not wrong in telling you that
07-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Check Your Camera's Shutter Count & Manufacture Date
Use this tool to check your camera's shutter count and find out when the camera was manufactured. Note that if you upload an image that has been processed by Photoshop, etc., it might not be usable as some of its EXIF data could have been stripped. To proceed, simply upload an unedited JPEG photo taken with your camera using the form below! Your files are not stored on our server after the EXIF data is read.

Read more at: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

07-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Well, unless I'm wrong there, there's no Pentax camera that can tell you the shutter count - you'll have to look at an image file generated by the camera and look at the EXIF info for shutter count (?). So if I'm right there and I understood you correctly, they were technically not wrong in telling you that
Of course, I didn't mean that one can do that directly (like push a button or select a menu option, and voila! There's your shutter count -- LOL). But how hard is it to upload an image to, e.g., myshuttercount, to get the info? When I mentioned it to one guy, he tried telling me that you "can't do that with this camera." I'm pretty sure the issue was that he didn't want to do it, not that he couldn't. But maybe he thought he could bamboozle me.

---------- Post added 07-27-20 at 04:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Yup; I know how to do that. But I haven't used the above tool (I've used myshuttercount.com and one other, I believe) . I'll try it; thanks!
07-27-2020, 06:02 PM   #39

Original Poster
I got my k-70 this afternoon and although I haven't had much time to check it out, I think I like it. It's different enough from my two old bodies that I'm sure I'm going to have some trouble figuring everything out and getting used to it. Not as intuitive as the K-7 was. I'll have to work my way through the manual a little at a time. So far I'm very impressed by the image quality, especially (so far) color reproduction. I took a quick pic of my dark red, patent-vinyl camera case, and the color was amazingly true, and the reflectivity of the surface wasn't an issue in focusing or in the actual image. I find that the blue-red shades usually warm up too much, and orange-reds are often too hot. This was darn near perfect.

After I took my initial test shots, the shutter count is 41, and camera and lens look brand new (I think I'm going to be happy with the lens as an all-round, everyday one; glad I decided to get the kit). I also really like the looks of the silver and black body. In the end, the slightly lighter body was probably a good choice. It feels heavy after months of using my old k100d super, but I'll get used to it.

Thanks to everybody here who weighed in on this. It was a helluva decision, especially for somebody like me who weighs to death the pros and cons of everything. Still not sure that I won't pick up a k-5 IIs, just in case.... I'm impossible.
07-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
. . . I'm impossible.
or perhaps predictable
07-27-2020, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
or perhaps predictable
Yeah, well, if you knew me, you'd say that. Just ask my family; I drive them nuts. LOL.
07-27-2020, 07:37 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Veteran Member

The K-5IIs is a super nice camera also. I have one as well as a K-1 and a KP. If I was to sell one there is the chance it would be the KP and keep the K-5 . But as I have the grip for the KP, I suspect the K-5 would go up for sale, even though it is a wonderful camera.
07-27-2020, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5II v KP

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
If I was to sell one there is the chance it would be the KP and keep the K-5 .
I have a strong emotional attachment to the K-5II. Except for the tilt screen, I find the ergonomics of the K-5II superior to the KP. The size difference between the two is negligible, but the KP is noticeably lighter. But the KP has a very short battery life compared to the K-5 series. Both cameras produce excellent images, but the KP has the image size advantage for cropping, better low light performance, pixel shift, WiFi, focus peeking, aperture bracketing and moe customisation. Even so, there's no way I would sell my K-5II. The KP is a stop gap that I am much more inclined to sell when the new APS-C body is released.
07-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #44
Pentaxian

In terms of ruggedness I would say the K-5IIs is the choice. It is also not a slouch when it comes to image quality. However, as others might have pointed it out, the K-5 series is not compatible with KAF4 which most of us believe will be the future mount for newer lenses.

The only fault I can give the K-70 is the solenoid which has traumatized a lot of members here. I for one didn't go for a bargain KS-2 last year which I wanted to give my son because of the solenoid problem.

My recommendation is save up a bit for the KP. The only fault you can associate this camera is battery life which can always be solved with the use of a battery grip or carrying extra batteries.
07-28-2020, 05:48 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
In terms of ruggedness I would say the K-5IIs is the choice. It is also not a slouch when it comes to image quality. However, as others might have pointed it out, the K-5 series is not compatible with KAF4 which most of us believe will be the future mount for newer lenses.

The only fault I can give the K-70 is the solenoid which has traumatized a lot of members here. I for one didn't go for a bargain KS-2 last year which I wanted to give my son because of the solenoid problem. .
"A lot"?

I've seen relatively few unique mentions, and many of those weren't actually the solenoid at all after the dust cleared. Certainly not at the scale of the K-50, nor even the less likely to fail KS-2 that preceded the K-70. A handful of reports doesn't make it a tendency. IMO there's no likelihood of the K-70 solenoid failing.

FWIW there's several reports here of KP buttons failing. It doesn't make it a reason to be traumatized, worried that it will happen to you too. Right? It's not likely to occur, nor is the solonoid dying on a K-70. The failing solenoid issue is being blown way out of proportion IMO.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-28-2020 at 05:56 AM.