Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2020, 06:14 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The probability of the aperture block occuring might be low but can occur. I don't like taking the risk and end up arguing with our local authorized dealer here. Probably if I live in the US or Canada I'll have a different point of view. I'd rather have a camera with lower risk of trouble.

07-28-2020, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #47

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
"A lot"?

... It's not likely to occur, nor is the solonoid dying on a K-70. The failing solenoid issue is being blown way out of proportion IMO.
I read up on this quite a bit before buying the K-70, and I agree with you. From what I can tell, there have been relatively few reports of the solenoid failing, and certainly not anywhere near the level of the problem on the K-50. Considering that this camera has been out for a few years now, if the problem were widespread, I imagine there would be more talk about it.

I have a K-7, old (of course), but with fewer than 25,000 actuations. The auto functions on it have failed and it's usable only in manual mode. I've read reports here of it happening to a few people as well. Should I assume that this is a huge problem with the K-7? When you think of the thousands of K-7s that were produced, a few incidents doesn't present a tremendous worry, imo. Same with the K-70. Time will tell, of course, but I'm comfortable with my purchase. Assuming I can get the hang of it. Maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

---------- Post added 07-28-20 at 09:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The K-5IIs is a super nice camera also. I have one as well as a K-1 and a KP. If I was to sell one there is the chance it would be the KP and keep the K-5 . But as I have the grip for the KP, I suspect the K-5 would go up for sale, even though it is a wonderful camera.
Well, if you ever do decide to sell it, I "might" know someone who's interested. (wink, wink)
12-06-2020, 04:25 PM - 3 Likes   #48

Original Poster
Well, it's been awhile since I got my K-70 and, once again, thank you all for you comments and advice. At first I didn't think I was going to like it as much as my K-7. I couldn't seem to get the hang of it. I was getting "good" images, but not great. My outdoor landscape shots were very good, but my work shots (stills of clothing, jewelry, etc.) were just OK. I was hanging on to my K-7 and also looking for a K-5IIs "just in case." Fast forward a few months, and my skills have improved, plus my 35 mm SLR film training has been coming back to me. Plus the camera is really an upgrade!

Jewelry is often a tough shot, due to reflectivity, the need to zoom in, the need for optimum lighting, etc. This week, for the first time, I took shots of jewelry that I'm pretty thrilled with. Anyone here who's a professional likely won't be impressed, but for what I do, the photos came out beautifully, especially considering I'm using just the kit lens. (I have a film zoom lens I have to figure out with this camera!)

I re-shot a diamond cluster ring that I had shot with my K-7. Those shots weren't very good. The diamonds are set so well that it's very hard to see the individual diamonds (which is good, but you need to show that it's not a solitaire, since nobody reads anything anymore). This is one of the shots I took, and you can see the individual diamonds. Just barely, but you can if you know it's a cluster setting. (The black and pink in the stones are reflections.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-06-2020, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to hear you are getting to know your camera and making images with it that have improved.

12-07-2020, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #50

Glad to hear your purchase worked out. For shooting stationary and detailed objects like jewelry, have you explored using Pixel Shift?
12-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eric3929 Quote
Glad to hear your purchase worked out. For shooting stationary and detailed objects like jewelry, have you explored using Pixel Shift?
No, I haven't; please fill me in!

Oh, and the shot I posted was without using a tripod; I can't find either of mine since moving! I really need to make that a priority.

---------- Post added 12-07-20 at 11:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Nice to hear you are getting to know your camera and making images with it that have improved.
Thank you! Still learning, as always, but I really do like the K-70 now. And it is noticeably lighter than the K-7, which is good for me at my age.
12-07-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at the ring.... defuse light is essential.

Something like this can help.
Basic light table - diffuser box and commentary - PentaxForums.com

The biggest issue is with reflective surfaces, control of light and reflection is essential. A ring like that for a beginner is worth a whole studio session spent figuring out how to get the light right for contrast an controlling reflections. Once you get the light right, taking the image is easy.

12-07-2020, 06:36 PM   #53

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Looking at the ring.... defuse light is essential.

Something like this can help.
Basic light table - diffuser box and commentary - PentaxForums.com

The biggest issue is with reflective surfaces, control of light and reflection is essential. A ring like that for a beginner is worth a whole studio session spent figuring out how to get the light right for contrast an controlling reflections. Once you get the light right, taking the image is easy.
Thank you! I'm checking out that link now. It's mostly diamonds I have trouble with. My costume jewelry shots have been coming out really well. The k-70's color rendition on metalwork and on stones not as reflective is excellent, and, of course, the sharpness/clarity is better without all that reflectivity. I have some diffusers that I don't use, but I guess I should start working with them. Or rig up a light box.

P.S. You should see, however, what an improvement the new batch of shots is over the old! I'm embarrassed when I look at the old ones. LOL.
12-08-2020, 02:09 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
Well, it's been awhile since I got my K-70 and, once again, thank you all for you comments and advice. At first I didn't think I was going to like it as much as my K-7. I couldn't seem to get the hang of it. I was getting "good" images, but not great. My outdoor landscape shots were very good, but my work shots (stills of clothing, jewelry, etc.) were just OK. I was hanging on to my K-7 and also looking for a K-5IIs "just in case." Fast forward a few months, and my skills have improved, plus my 35 mm SLR film training has been coming back to me. Plus the camera is really an upgrade!
Had the same feeling when switched from K-x to K-5IIs, but I finally managed to understand and use the extras on the K-5 to my advantage. Practice is the key!
12-08-2020, 06:38 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
No, I haven't; please fill me in!
Well, if you're not using a tripod than Pixel Shift will not be useful. But if that changes in the future I'd recommend at least giving it a try. Make sure to set a 2s timer or use a wired/wireless shutter release to avoid camera shake. Pentax's approach to pixel shift is about providing full color information at each pixel site by combining 4 images that are each shifted by 1 pixel. This is to compensate for the Bayer Array. The resulting image file is still a 24MP image, but the file size will increase to about 100Mb. Images taken this way generally need to be processed through either DCU or RawTherapee (if you process RAW files).

Hope you enjoy your new camera!

Last edited by eric3929; 12-09-2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: edited MB to MP
12-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #56

Yes, PixelShift could be a deal breaker if useful for you.