Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
With my K200D, no lens,no batteries and held at arms length and turned I hear and feel a thunk.
The fact that you can feel the thunk at arms length may not be a good sign. I took out my K200D and (gently) shook it around and jumped up and down and still felt and heard nothing.

My 2 cents is that something may be loose. But I'll defer to the wiser members of the forum here and keep an eye on this thread.

-Yale

11-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #32
Inactive Account

My K200D does it too. If I rotate it to a portrait position (right or left, doesn't matter) I can hear a thunk. If I rotate it back, no sound. And so on. But so far no problem with it.
11-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Oh no! my washing mashine clunks when it rotates!
11-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Oh no! my washing mashine clunks when it rotates!
And how are the photos it takes??

11-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
These cameras have no "tilt sensors" per se, they have two (or even three) axis accelerometers to detect camera shake to be compensated. ... Since they also detect the acceleration due to gravity they double as tilt sensors for picture rotation.
Are you sure the acceleration sensors can sense static acceleration as caused by gravity?

The following experiment could be revealing:

1. Turn the camera off.
2. Take out the batteries.
3. Rotate the camera into portrait orientation.
4. Reinsert the batteries.
5. Turn the camera on
6. Take a picture.

The camera can only know that the picture wasn't taken in landscape mode if it doesn't depend on dynamic acceleration information but has some static detection (using gravity with a tilt sensor or through the acceleration sensors).
(Steps 2 & 5 may not be necessary depending on whether orientation tracking happens while the camera is off or not.)

If the acceleration sensors really support sensing of the absolute rotation, why doesn't the K100D then record the camera orientation although it has the acceleration sensors? Do you think the corresponding software was removed for the K100D even thought the *ist series already supported orientation recording?

Last edited by Class A; 11-05-2008 at 03:06 PM.
11-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The store is restocking and when they have another K200D I am going in to compare.

Meantime I am awaiting the importer/agents comments.
11-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I haven't experienced this one either of my K200D bodies.
I have to move my K100D in pretty specific ways to provoke the sensor to move in a way that I can hear it. If I just rotate it casually, I don't hear it. I need to apply a certain tilt and rotation speed.

Anyhow, if you don't hear anything, I wouldn't assume anything is broken. However, anyone hearing anything that stops will the camera takes a picture (try the Bulb mode) can be sure that nothing is broken as well.
11-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
... The sensor moves freely *until* it is held in place (and then mvoed *carefully*) by the electromagnets. This really isn't an open question - this has been well-known and described in detail in these forums ever since the K100D first came out over two years ago. SR definitely results in the sensor clunking around while it is not being held in place.....
Way back when, it was reported on a K100D before the K10D came out. I had not heard it, but rolled around my K100D with the room quiet and camera power off - it clunked. I tried my K110D (no SR) and it did not clunk. I went back and forth between the two nearly identical cameras and only the K100D with SR clunked. I posted my results on that thread.

A search of this forum will show this subject comes up every couple of months.

11-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Way back when, it was reported on a K100D before the K10D came out. I had not heard it, but rolled around my K100D with the room quiet and camera power off - it clunked. I tried my K110D (no SR) and it did not clunk. I went back and forth between the two nearly identical cameras and only the K100D with SR clunked. I posted my results on that thread.

A search of this forum will show this subject comes up every couple of months.
So we can guess that Pentax 'know' about it and a couple of models later still do not mention it in their manual?

Or is there sample variation, and does it get louder with age? movement?use?.

I guess I am concerned that some forum members say it is normal some say not and Pentax say nothing.
11-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I guess I am concerned that some forum members say it is normal some say not and Pentax say nothing.
*Thousands* of people say it's normal - like I said, yu are hardly the first person to ask this. Maybe one or two people have failed to notice it, or have assumed (incorrectly) it was due to something else, but you're inventing controversy that doesn't exist. Everyone who knows the situation knows that SR does this. As I keep saying, this is *not* an open question. And if you call Pentax support, I'm sure they'll tell you the same.

As for why Pentax says nothing, that's only because you haven't asked. I don't understand why one should expect Pentax to say anything if you don't ask them. I mean, I suppose if enough people complained directly to them that this should be mentioned in the manual, maybe they'd change the manual for the next model. But really, I doubt it has occurred to them that anyone would be so concerned - it's perfectly logical that it would be this way, the info is widely available online, and I'm sure if you called Pentax customer support, they'd tell you the same.

This is just *not* something to worry about. Really.
11-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Do the test with the bulb mode, I described earlier on. It worked for Spongefigners

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
My goodness, you're right!... No clunking, though, as you said.
If the sound you are hearing doesn't occur while the shutter is open (as long as you press the shutter button in bulb mode) then you know that you are hearing the sensor moving around when moving the camera while it is not taking a picture.

If you still hear a clunking sound while the shutter is open then you should investigate further. If not, all is well.
11-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
*Thousands* of people say it's normal - like I said, yu are hardly the first person to ask this.
or have assumed (incorrectly) it was due to something else, but you're inventing controversy that doesn't exist. Everyone who knows the situation knows that SR does this. As I keep saying, this is *not* an open question. And if you call Pentax support, I'm sure they'll tell you the same.

As for why Pentax says nothing, that's only because you haven't asked. I don't understand why one should expect Pentax to say anything if you don't ask them. I mean, I suppose if enough people complained directly to them that this should be mentioned in the manual, maybe they'd change the manual for the next model. But really, I doubt it has occurred to them that anyone would be so concerned - it's perfectly logical that it would be this way, the info is widely available online, and I'm sure if you called Pentax customer support, they'd tell you the same.

This is just *not* something to worry about. Really.
Cheers Marc.
In fact as you will see from earlier posts my enquiry to the New Zealand Pentax importer/agent via my local store drew the response that the noise/vibration was something they had not encountered.
Maybe we are just too small a market.

I have since emailed them details and the link to this thread so they are are as up to date on it as you or I.
I am currently awaiting their response now that we all have some more information.

I now know that it is most likely the SR (thanks to you and other posters) and am trying to understand why my sample and experience should be so different to others reported experiences.(yes I have been e-mailed by other users reporting only the slightest of sounds)

QuoteQuote:
Maybe one or two people have failed to notice it
It is loud enough on my sample that severe hearing impairment might be the only reason for not noticing it.!! So I feel my concern is valid.

I asked here on these forums as I felt that with a number of users I could get a handle on a) What it might be.
and b) If mine was any different to others.

This was in the absence of another one locally to compare with.

Again, as i said in an earlier post, the store have now got another and I will be going in tomorrow to compare them.

Hopefully, all will be well and I look forward to reporting that here.
Meantime I have been interested in the comments from other posters.Thank you.

Edit..
QuoteQuote:
info is widely available online
Really? I have Googled extensively without success.If you have some links please share.
11-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #43
Pentaxian

In fact as you will see from earlier posts my enquiry to the New Zealand Pentax importer/agent via my local store drew the response that the noise/vibration was something they had not encountered.
I have no idea what a importer/agent is, but I'm guessing it's a salesperson of some kind, probably not anyone who works for Pentax. Again, Pentax customer support surely knows about this.

QuoteQuote:
am trying to understand why my sample and experience should be so different to others reported experiences.(yes I have been e-mailed by other users reporting only the slightest of sounds)
Since I can't hear what you're hearing, I cna't say if it is different or not. I'd agree that what I hear I would describe is a "slight" sound, but I don't know if the same as what you are hearing or not.

QuoteQuote:
Edit.. Really? I have Googled extensively without success.If you have some links please share.
Understand I'm not criticizing you for not finding this. Everyone describes the sound differently, so it's hard to know what to search for. But FWIW:

K100D Super: Is this normal?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
K100D - strange noise: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Q. for K100D & K110D owners: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

or, on this very site:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/16170-please-advise-k100d-super.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/7530-loose-movemen...new-k100d.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/15620-k100d-super-issue.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/21834-k10d-body-clunking.html

and so on.
11-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #44
Site Supporter

If it works it is not broken.
11-06-2008, 12:09 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
=Marc Sabatella;386643]I have no idea what a importer/agent is, but I'm guessing it's a salesperson of some kind, probably not anyone who works for Pentax. Again, Pentax customer support surely knows about this.
This is the National Pentax agent for the country I live in.

QuoteQuote:
Since I can't hear what you're hearing, I can't say if it is different or not. I'd agree that what I hear I would describe is a "slight" sound, but I don't know if the same as what you are hearing or not.
Yep indeed...mine is not 'slight'

QuoteQuote:
Understand I'm not criticizing you for not finding this. Everyone describes the sound differently, so it's hard to know what to search for. But FWIW
:

Thanks for these links!... most interesting.
Just finished reading them all and roughly a half hear a noise and the other half don't or think it is something other than the SR.
Those that do hear something describe it as slight or only when you put your ear to the camera.

No K200D users though so that explains why I didn't find them, of course, as I was searching for the same fault but for a K200D!

Thanks Marc! will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

and so on.