Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Thanks for these links!... most interesting.
Just finished reading them all and roughly a half hear a noise and the other half don't or think it is something other than the SR.
??? You might want to check again. A *very* small minority said they hadn't noticed it, but they hadn't specifically actually listened for it, either. Of those, most then responded later in thread saying the checked again and realized they could.

And this is just a very small sample of the dozens of threads that have been posted on this topic over the years. I'll bet there are 50 more threads just like these.

As I said before, you are inventing controversy that simply does not exist. This has been well-known for *years* (note how old some of those threads are). There just is not any doubt about this. Those of us who who been on these forums since the introduction of the K100D have seen this discussed on practically a weekly basis for years. It is *not* new, unusual, or unknown.

And again, maybe your camera has a problem that makes an additional sound, or that makes the normal SR sound louder than usual. I can't say without seeing your camera. But once more, there is *ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT* that it is *COMPLETELY NORMAL* for the SR mechanism to make a sound when the camera is moved.

11-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marc, I agree with you fully.

There have been tons of posts about the funny noises the cameras make.

I wonder some times whether we shoudl delete the viewing screen and pentaprism all together and issue earphones in stead.

In reality, an SLR is intended to be used by placing your eye to the viewfinder, not by sticking the camera in your ear.

I know many new users pick up the camera and wonder, but I would think after multiple threads and 4 pages on this one, we would stop depating the noise people hear.
11-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #48
Veteran Member

This is topic that has been discussed to death since the K100D first came out in mid-2006. Rather than reinventing the wheel, I would suggest newbies do a simple search first and weigh the comments of many who have had already had prior experience of the matter.

In other words, take our word that the clunking sound is perfectly normal and is not an indication of any malfunction.

For those who cannot visualize how the SR looks like can see a simple exploded view graphic here. K100D Super : Digital SLR Cameras : PENTAX
11-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
This is topic that has been discussed to death since the K100D first came out in mid-2006. Rather than reinventing the wheel, I would suggest newbies do a simple search first and weigh the comments of many who have had already had prior experience of the matter.
With all due respect to experienced members of this forum, BobD was not looking for K100D but K200D!
QuoteQuote:
No K200D users though so that explains why I didn't find them, of course, as I was searching for the same fault but for a K200D!
And as Marc pointed out, and then highlighted very succinctly, the definition of the thunk sound was not clear. Similarly, the link to the previous threads was not suggested until Marc illustrated the links 2 days after the original post.

Please don't regard newbies as a lesser form of life - we are all newbies in our lives at some stage and learning is required. Patience and encouragement are far more valuable to a community than disdain.

11-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
Please don't regard newbies as a lesser form of life - we are all newbies in our lives at some stage and learning is required. Patience and encouragement are far more valuable to a community than disdain.
Just so no one gets the wrong idea, there is no issue with newbies being a lesser form of life or not

I have often posted that the only stupid question is the one not asked.

I guess the problem as I stated above is why does it take 4 pages of postings to get acceptance.

I'm done here
11-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #51
Veteran Member

With all due respect to experienced members of this forum, BobD was not looking for K100D but K200D!

And as Marc pointed out, and then highlighted very succinctly, the definition of the thunk sound was not clear. Similarly, the link to the previous threads was not suggested until Marc illustrated the links 2 days after the original post.

The SR mechanics are similar.
No one is regarding newbies as a lesser form of life, that's your words, not mine. What is wrong with taking a few moments to do a simple search first? Is that too much to ask? We all started as newbies at one point or another, but one cannot always be expected to be spoonfed all the time...
11-07-2008, 01:17 AM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Thank you Chris for this encouraging post.

Yes, at times over the last couple of days I have felt that I should just 'go away and stop bothering' some of the more experienced members!!

If this forum exists to advance the understanding and use of Pentax cameras then it must reasonably expect to patiently and helpfully answer newcomers questions.

Thanks to those that did and especially ClassA whose reasoned and calm approach helped me immensely

Perhaps there should be an "absolute beginners" section where newcomers like me can ask such questions and those members who seek to help us get ahead could frequent?

Maybe too there could be some method to mark an ongoing post as solved by the original poster so that future searches would have access to the steps already taken and the conclusion.

I see that this site runs the same Jelsoft engine as does the Ubuntu forums. Ubuntu Forums

It is worth visiting that site to see just how successful it is in integrating newcomers into a highly technical forum

As for the repeated accusation of "inventing controversy" I have to refute this!
The noise exists. I did not invent it.
If any controversy exists then it is fanned by comments like that.
Play the ball not the man.

Now, for anyone interested in the outcome of my travels here....

I have had the opportunity to compare my camera with another K200D.
Obviously there is batch/sample variation as I postulated.

Other posters here have described their K200D's as 'quiet' and so too was the other one I tried today! Quieter than mine.If I had had that one fresh from the box I may never have noticed the thunk in the first instance.

As result of ClassA's explanations and recommended tests I am now in agreement with the senior members of this forum as to the cause and 'normality' of the noise I originally enquired about and that the intensity is somewhat variable.

I also now have a quieter K200D.

My understanding of the mechanism that produces the noise is that it is not the SR directly but the floating sensor mechanism that allows SR to be incorporated in the first instance.

The sensor board is only 'locked' by the electomagnets at the micro-moment before the shot is taken.
This happens with SR activated or not.
If SR is activated then the electromagnets and the SR system compensate for shake and the sensor board is moved by the electromagnets to nullify the shake.

If SR is not activated then the sensor board is simply locked in place, as the shot is taken, by the electromagnets.

At all other times the board is free to move and so produces a thunk (the intensity of which differs from camera to camera) and is a normal artifact of this arrangement.

Feel free to correct me here

I am now satisfied that my original query is answered and would like to mark this as SOLVED

Thank you all for your input and I am now off to have fun with my lovely K200D.
11-07-2008, 03:00 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Feel free to correct me here
Nothing to correct.

Glad we could help and that your problem is solved. Hope you'll have a lot of fun with your camera. See you around in other threads.

11-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #54
Pentaxian

As for the repeated accusation of "inventing controversy" I have to refute this!
The noise exists. I did not invent it.
Of course it exists. Everyone knows this. The "controversy" I referred to is the claim that some people experience it and some don't, or that there is an debate among knowledgeable people as to its cause. This is just not true. Everyone who has a Pentax cameras with SR experiences this sound (whether they've noticed it before or not), and everyone who knows about the issue knows it is the SR mechanism.

Anyhow, sorry if my comments lent themselves to any other interpretation. My intent was not to criticize you, but simply to correct the impression that there was actually any doubt about what was going on.