Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Waikikamukau
Photos: Albums
Posts: 960
k200D clunks when rotated??

Hi, I have a K200D to try for a few days with a view to buying.

Your forum has been a great source of information in getting it working with my older m42 lenses. Thanks.

The camera makes an unusual and unexpected noise when it is rotated. (horizontal to vertical rather than front to back)

A soft but noticeable 'Thunk' and a corresponding vibration is felt through the camera body.

I have read several reviews of the camera and no reviewer has mentioned it and the chappie at the camera store had no answer (but is asking Pentax).

It seems to work fine but I am concerned that there may be something loose inside so have put it to one side until I know a little more.

There seem to be a fair number of forum members using this model, anyone had this noise or can explain it?

Oh, it happens both when the camera is switched off and on.

This is my first foray into any digital camera so simple answers would be fine and probably easier understood by this beginner.

11-04-2008, 01:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Shashinki's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 357
It's most likely the SR-mechanism. It's supposed to be like that. (trying to be simple here )
11-04-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Waikikamukau
Photos: Albums
Posts: 960
Original Poster
SR...Shake Reduction?? Would that work if the camera is not switched on??
11-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 222
My K10D does that and it's perfectly normal - I was lead to believe that it's the orientation sensor.

The camera knows when it's being held in either landscape or portrait - you will notice you don't have to rotate your images when viewing them.

11-04-2008, 03:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member
MoiVous's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 667
My K200D does something similar - but I worked out the batteries are not tight fitting in their compartment (the supplied Lithium batteries). Undo the battery cover and gently shake back and forth and you'll see what I mean - they move sideways - not a lot, but enough to make a sort of thump. Guess it keeps the end contacts clean....

It might well be a sensor as well - but that amount of inertia seems a bit excessive.
11-04-2008, 03:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,669
QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
My K10D does that and it's perfectly normal - I was lead to believe that it's the orientation sensor.

The camera knows when it's being held in either landscape or portrait - you will notice you don't have to rotate your images when viewing them.
Nah; it's the CCD that does that. My K100D has no orientation sensor, and it's still clunky.
11-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Waikikamukau
Photos: Albums
Posts: 960
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
My K200D does something similar - but I worked out the batteries are not tight fitting in their compartment (the supplied Lithium batteries). Undo the battery cover and gently shake back and forth and you'll see what I mean - they move sideways - not a lot, but enough to make a sort of thump. Guess it keeps the end contacts clean.....

Yes, that was my first thought and I took the batteries out. Still does it.

QuoteQuote:
It might well be a sensor as well - but that amount of inertia seems a bit excessive
Yes but what is 'normal' and why would my sample be more clunky than others?

If it is the ccd , and it does it any time the camera is moved, switched on or not then what are the long term consequences likely to be?.

This will be happening as soon as it leaves the factory, during all shipping and travel!
Bouncing about in the car on a trip, in your pack on a hike, running for the taxi....... !!
Why is it not immobilised when the camera is turned off??

Is it going to get worse through transport faster than use and what of a worn out camera that has little actual use ??

Should I be worried?? What is the Pentax track record like if this turns out to be a major design fault??

Last edited by bobD; 11-04-2008 at 04:08 PM.
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 418
My k20d does this trick. i can hear the sensor moving right over when i tilt the camera. My worry is that over time it will lead to front/back focusing if the sensor assembly becomes loose...

I'm sure it will be fine. Very good sturdy systems these, it will all have been tested but maybe problems will reveal themselves in a few years time.

11-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member
tomtor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Should I be worried?? What is the Pentax track record like if this turns out to be a major design fault??
No need to worry. The K10's all do it and many forum members have 2 years old K10's with tens of thousands of images taken without any problem.

I'm just at 12000 images after a year but the SR is working as new...
11-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Waikikamukau
Photos: Albums
Posts: 960
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
No need to worry. The K10's all do it
Yes, though so far no k200D user or review has reported this behavior.
It may not be the same thing.

Just heard from the shop.
The national Pentax agent and their tech team have not come across this so want the camera back to test it.

I would still like to hear from any k200D users on this. As well as any thoughts from users of other models with the same symptom.
Thanking you in anticip................ation.

(I have the camera for another 2 days of testing while I try my old lenses.)
11-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #11
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 7
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Yes, though so far no k200D user or review has reported this behavior.
So I'm the first one. :)
11-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Waikikamukau
Photos: Albums
Posts: 960
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Max_Schreck Quote
So I'm the first one.
So you have the same noise/vibration?
From new out of the box?
With or without batteries in, or lens on/off?

More info would be helpful in my decision as to purchasing this camera. Thank you.
11-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philippines
Posts: 99
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Hi, I have a K200D to try for a few days with a view to buying.

Your forum has been a great source of information in getting it working with my older m42 lenses. Thanks.

The camera makes an unusual and unexpected noise when it is rotated. (horizontal to vertical rather than front to back)

A soft but noticeable 'Thunk' and a corresponding vibration is felt through the camera body.

I have read several reviews of the camera and no reviewer has mentioned it and the chappie at the camera store had no answer (but is asking Pentax).

It seems to work fine but I am concerned that there may be something loose inside so have put it to one side until I know a little more.

There seem to be a fair number of forum members using this model, anyone had this noise or can explain it?

Oh, it happens both when the camera is switched off and on.

This is my first foray into any digital camera so simple answers would be fine and probably easier understood by this beginner.
That's just the Shake Reduction system, nothing to worry about.
11-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Waikikamukau
Photos: Albums
Posts: 960
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
That's just the Shake Reduction system, nothing to worry about
.

Forgive my newcomers ignorance. I thought the SR system was an active one so how can it clunk when not powered up and no batteries?

Several posters have mentioned this but there is nothing in the Pentax manual to advise that the sound/vibration occurs or to expect it. I do not understand how this feature can produce the apparent symptom of something loose inside the case?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

(I think I am ready for the not so simple answers now !)
11-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leeds, NE UK
Posts: 220
Same thing on my K10D. It freaked me a bit when i first got it but I guessed it was the SR.

I think the SR uses an induced magnetic field to hold the sensor in place... so if the camera is off nothing holds it in place (well, obviously it's movement is limited!). Not sure if that's how it works, just a guess.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, forum, k200d, noise, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to K200D mkcmcuh Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 04-28-2009 04:29 AM
Just got my K200D matlock Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 02-09-2009 12:11 PM
k200d jachol Welcomes and Introductions 1 01-26-2009 08:30 AM
K10D - image is consistently rotated? friolator Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 02-24-2008 12:40 PM
K10D - image is consistently rotated? friolator Pentax DSLR Discussion 0 03-12-2007 08:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top