Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2020, 09:20 AM - 11 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PetaPixel article - "Why Pentax is Making the Right Call in Sticking with DSLRs"

Just FYI to share a recent nice article ... "Why Pentax is Making the Right Call in Sticking with DSLRs"

Why Pentax is Making the Right Call in Sticking with DSLRs

07-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for posting! Finally a sensible article!
07-20-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Great read, Tx!

07-20-2020, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw that. Thought it was pretty good although it ignores the existence of the Nikon F6 and Leica M-A. A new 35mm Pentax SLR would be very nice although there would be a *lot* of arguments about what it should include or remove from cameras like the K-1, MZ-S, LX etc etc.

07-20-2020, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

I think the whole argument for or against a modern FILM camera is completely aside from the decision to (formally) commit to (d)SLR technology.

Personally, I think there still remain such a plethora of good, capable and VERY inexpensive second hand film bodies that a newly manufactured
Pentax film body would be a tough sell. A lot of people give lip service to wanting a modern K-1000: how many would genuinely spend the money
such a niche product would demand. I think a LOT of wishful thinkers assume a modern K-1000 would market in the $2-300 range and would then
scoff, loudly I'm sure, when the actual product cost many times that figure.
07-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think it strange that the author is apparently unaware that both Nikon and Canon continue to make dSLR cameras* and that SLRs are still the norm for medium format.

Steve

* ...Nikon with no indication of stopping and Canon having publicly stated that E-mount is on the way out.
07-20-2020, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice to see someone who gets it. Good contrast to this article, which is the typical non-thinking mirrorless or bust drum beat:

Pentax doubles down on DSLRs: "there is simply no substitute" | Digital Camera World

07-20-2020, 03:48 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
A lot of people give lip service to wanting a modern K-1000: how many would genuinely spend the moneysuch a niche product would demand. I think a LOT of wishful thinkers assume a modern K-1000 would market in the $2-300 range and would thenscoff, loudly I'm sure, when the actual product cost many times that figure.
Nikon still make the all-manual FM10 film camera which is roughly equivalent to a K1000. It is on their website for $570 Film Cameras | Buy Film Camera | Nikon But it has been in continued manufacture since the film era, so today it is coming out from a long established production plant. But unless someone finds the old K1000 production plant buried in a time capsule complete with attendant staff in suspended animation, the cost to re-start its manufacture will be such that the retail price will need to be a lot higher than that of the FM10.

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
it ignores the existence of the Nikon F6 and Leica M-A
Indeed, the F6 is also on the page I linked above, at $2670. Yet Petapixel says "The unfortunate thing is that there are no major manufacturers currently producing high-quality, professional-grade cameras for film shooters". Well if Nikon is not a major manufacturer and the F6 is not a professional grade camera, I don't know what is. PetaPixel's ignorance in this undermines the article's credibility.

A debate started only yesterday here Reverse Engineering the K1000 - PentaxForums.com on the wisdom or folly of the K1000 being revived. I don't believe that most of those calling for a brand new 35mm film camera in the market would put their money where their mouth is - the author of the PetaPixel article for example, who apparently wants one but has not even bothered to find out what film cameras are available. There are plenty of used film cameras on Ebay, many in excellent condition, for a fraction of the price of what a new Pentax film camera would need to be. Pentax should concentrate on catching up with its rivals' autofocus and video digital specs instead.
07-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The K1000 suffers from a non modular shutter. Now I’m not complaining, but technicians are needed for those, vs replacing a modular shutter block, I I parade to one? Now you’ve lost the basic character of the Classic Spotmatic

07-20-2020, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Nice to see someone who gets it. Good contrast to this article, which is the typical non-thinking mirrorless or bust drum beat:
Pentax doubles down on DSLRs: "there is simply no substitute" | Digital Camera World
The DCW point is encapsulated in this para:

"In short, Pentax is intent on clinging to DSLR technology until the bitter end. Hopefully it’s a strategy that pays off for the company… but the choice to be a Blockbuster in a Netflix world is certainly a curious one."

It used to be said that an ounce of ridicule was worth a pound of argument. The use of an old tech v new tech metaphor is a variant of that.
07-20-2020, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The DCW point is encapsulated in this para:

"In short, Pentax is intent on clinging to DSLR technology until the bitter end. Hopefully it’s a strategy that pays off for the company… but the choice to be a Blockbuster in a Netflix world is certainly a curious one."

It used to be said that an ounce of ridicule was worth a pound of argument. The use of an old tech v new tech metaphor is a variant of that.
Yep, and completely negative and assuming that there's no way they'll survive doing it. Looking forward to putting my money where my mouth is and helping keep the OVF alive quite a few more years yet.
07-20-2020, 07:40 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

Especially when the analogy is so poorly crafted. Considering just the above example, Pentax is hardly comparable to Blockbuster, but is, perhaps, comparable
to the independent video rental shops that remain in business by catering to all the film buffs who aren't placated by watching the mass media dribble that
makes up much of Netflix' offering, (and Blockbuster beforehand).
07-20-2020, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

If you need AI to take photo , buy a point & shoot because your phone is comparable to that . ANd yes , go and see and read about the new philosophy of Pentax for the future. After reading it , find another brand that fit your style of photog.
07-20-2020, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I read this article with interest, and came here to see if there is any discussion.

For my 2 cents, I agree with the comments of film, but I'd love to see redesigns/reissues of film 67 and 645 series more so than 35mm. There are a bazillion 35 mm cameras on used markets, but there are still plenty of purists who prefer medium format film to anything digital.

For my part, I see relatively inexpensive 67 lenses on eBay from Japanese sellers purporting to be new old stock or barely used, and would love to be able to learn more about the format. There's a risk in buying into something for a poor guy like me, knowing that in 4 or 5 years if the camera dies there may be no spare parts or path forward.

At least if I bought into a used 645 line, I could theoretically move to a 645 digital in they continue to produce, but 6x7 gives more space to the image, so if I have to spend the money on used I'd rather go there or off Pentax.

All of that is tangential to the topic of the article, of course, but it's where I am. I hope to see Ricoh buckle down on their support and development. They don't need a dozen models or 20 new lenses a year, what they need is for each model produced to be the best it can be.

As a year-old Pentaxian newbie with a 50 year range of lenses that I am loving to use, I look forward to another few decades here.
07-20-2020, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Nikon still make the all-manual FM10 film camera which is roughly equivalent to a K1000.
Cosina was the maker and it is basically equivalent to the Cosina-made K-mount Vivitars and the Vivitar VN5000 in Nikon F. All three were derived from the Cosina CT1 Super. The FM10 is no longer available in the U.S., but is still in the Nikon catalog as current product.

Steve