Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2020, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I know I should no longer interfere with PentaxForums
No reason at all for you not to have your respectful and courteous say.

07-30-2020, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have just one wish for the K-New, and It's something I haven't heard anyone else talking about. I want a square (1:1) crop frame in the OVF, like the K-1. My favorite feature of the K-1 is the ability to choose two aspect ratios on the fly, with a bold square frame visible to show me where the edges are. I spent a lot of time carrying a Rolleiflex, and I've always loved the square. Almost as much as 4:3, which I prefer for vertical compositions.

Last edited by Wheatridger; 07-31-2020 at 08:04 PM.
07-31-2020, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

The added bulk and cost is reason enough not to want such a viewfinder. It would be a solution that fits (very nearly almost) nobody.
07-31-2020, 06:11 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
First, I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about the superiority of OVF over EVF for many image composition tasks. And you are right that switching between OVF and EVF would be jarring although there are occasional times when using live view through an eyepiece would be worth the dissonance of switching.

But you missed the biggest potential use case for a hybrid. My "killer app" scenario for a hybrid VF happens AFTER I take the picture. I'd love to see the shot I just took through the eyepiece. No more chimping! I'd also use that mode between pictures to change setups, navigate menus, etc. all without taking the camera from my eye.

Thus I most want an optical view finder and an electronic review checker that use the same eyepiece -- hence a hybrid VF.
My Panasonic FZ1000 can do this and I do not find it that desirable a feature. Besides the fact that the OVF drives my eyes crazy after awhile, I do not like the false image it gives me of the subject. I am probably just an old dog unable to learn new tricks, but that is my experience with the infernal devices.

07-31-2020, 10:14 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, they do...

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
To the op. The latter, optical viewfinder with rich overlay, is what I term hybrid ovf.

I personally turn off all but focus point in my viewfinder. A nice clean image is great. There are however a few things that evf helps with and it would be great to solve for DSLRs.

1. Manual focus aids
2. Exposure clipping aids

The former can be solved optically or digitally. The latter only digitally. A question for mirrorless users is then.

Do people chimp on milcs?

If people still chimp milcs only point 1 above is of interest.
Mirrorless cameras can be set to pop up a captured image in the EVF for a short time, so that you can be a chimp without looking like one. It's a darn shame how that captivating image of a primate enjoying his own selfie has turned into a slur that shames photographers into replacing their perfectly useful DSLRs. That's why we can't have nice things anymore!

I chimp openly and proudly- it's a sign of craftsmanship.
07-31-2020, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #36

When you say hybrid viewfinder I think of HUD (Heads Up Displays) such as the military or automobile makers use. Most of the bodies use a form of this by projecting the focus points onto the screen. The K-1 uses a see-through LCD. A virtual image could also be projected directly into the eye which what some of the HUDs for weapons systems do.

Do you really need to have a full EVF display? Why not elements such as information, focus peaking and so forth over-layed on the optical image via HUD/virtual imaging?
07-31-2020, 07:18 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Please don't kill the OVF. I don't understand the hybrid viewfinder. I'll be 60 in a couple of years and my eyes and head hurt looking into EVF. Live Pentax , live!!!