Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I've had several shots with my K-70 where there was oddness in the rendering of fine detail. They were shot late in the evening at ISO 6400 (RAW), where bits of fox fur and grass were rendered as small smudgy blocks. None of the shots were keepers, anyway, so no harm no foul.
I remember your post of those.

Steve

07-24-2020, 01:08 PM - 5 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The effects of the accelerator on the power spectrum of the noise (Baffling Pentax KP Read Noise: Photographic Science and Technology Forum: Digital Photography Review) and it's strong suppression of chromatic noise suggest the chip analyzing the neighborhoods around every pixel (probably over about a 5 pixel diameter) to statistically adjust "impossible" or "unlikely" RGB combinations seen in the RAW sensor data.

The color filters on the sensor are not perfect. Every wavelength of light induces some signal in the sensor in every measured color band. Thus a RAW RGB value of [0,0,20] from the sensor, for example, is impossible -- there's not enough red and green for the measured level of blue. The chip would probably assume that the red and green channels should have been a little higher and maybe the blue channel might be a little lower so that [0,0,20] becomes something like [1,2,17]. This kind of processing would not eat stars, would have little or no impact on most details.

The accelerator chip is almost certainly a hard-coded, specialized device, not a "fast" general purpose processor. The chip probably only does one task -- take the stream of RAW data from the main sensor and crank out an adjusted RAW signal that goes to the CPU. In fact, it probably does this task BEFORE the RAW data even goes into RAM (storing the RAW data, retrieving it from RAM, processing it, and storing the results would add time and slow down the camera). Instead, it looks like the digital data goes directly from the ADC into the chip, is processed in a stream, and comes out. The CPU and RAM get what they think is RAW sensor data.
07-24-2020, 01:26 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The CPU and RAM get what they think is RAW sensor data.
Damnit. They can think for themselves now? I knew this day would come!

*cough* I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords... *cough*
07-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #19

Just going from memory of the various videos, interviews and most significantly an interview in one Japanese eMagazine the AC is doing more than just noise reduction. Claims of being able to render blue colors better and that processing was tweaked for each individual ISO setting. Ricoh has made the same claim as they do with the Limited lens series of factors that are not easily measured numerically. Graphs that show the AC doesn't "kick" in until ISO 640 bear out this claim since Ricoh says processing is going on at every ISO setting.

07-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Based on the K-1 to K-1 II upgrade, i believe the accelerator may have impact on focus speed, as this was one of the changes in performance with the upgrade. I can't say if this is because processing was moved off other chips to the accelerator allowing them to commit more resources to the focusing, or if the accelerator is providing the boost, but there definitely was a change. A test here on PF made some real measurements of the differences in speed.

Pentax K-1 II vs K-1 Autofocus Test - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com

So, does anyone know for sure if the AF change came from the accelerator, or was it a side effect? My recollection of the circuit boards we saw etc. was the accelerator chip addition was the core of the upgrade. Well, that and the little "II" logo where it used to say "SR".
07-25-2020, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I wonder

is it physically located to the right of the brake chip
Stuff and nonsense, it’s the twist grip under your right hand as you hold it correctly!
07-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The description offered by photoptimist appears to make logical sense. It might also show good reason for the lack of actual specifics coming out, due to being protective of design secrets. My impression has been, whatever it is they've come up with- it works! I've been very happy with images out of my K-5 IIs, but the KP keeps giving me outstanding results! I have found gains in fine detail instead of losing any.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-25-2020 at 07:45 PM.
07-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
the KP keeps giving me outstanding results! I have found gains in fine detail instead of losing any.
The significant increase in pixel resolution might also be a consideration.

Steve
07-26-2020, 01:50 AM - 2 Likes   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
What does an accelerator chip do?
Keeps you on the ground around fast corners... but that might not be the correct answer.

07-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The significant increase in pixel resolution might also be a consideration.

Steve
Probably so. But at least this gain is then a visible gain, not ruined or compromised by the accelerator chip!