Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
............... waiting to bite?

Amazon has it down to $790 with a free Pentax bag.

I'm watching and waiting, just haven't decided at which point I'm going to jump in.
I'm kind of hoping I can get the K20 and the K1000 for about $1100. $1000 would be nice but I don't think that's going to happen before the holidays.
$650ish.. USA Warranty, m$ live rebate (25% kickback up to $200) is my current obtainable target price... Problem is finding body vendors on ebay that 1) can use the rebate 2) have BIN under $900. Just lost one.
There is a vendor on ebay that APPARENTLY can honor the ms deal if you call in. I prefer to wait a bit. Didn't notice if this one was USA warranty or international though:
Pentax K20D 14MP SLR Digital Cam K20 HUGE 8GB KIT NEW - eBay (item 270290162634 end time Nov-18-08 20:27:14 PST)

11-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Am watching it too.. Wanted to upgrade my K100DS..
11-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #18

I almost bought one last week with the Ebay 10% discount... Maybe another promotion will come along. I bet it will before the Holidays.
11-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #19
Inactive Account

I called a few of the Sub-$800 places and found that they were not US warranteed cameras. One place wanted $50 more to get the US ones. I called Cameta (the place I bought my K10 from last year) and they sold me one for $799 shipped with US warrantee as they said they do not deal grey market.

I should have mine tomorrow!!

11-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Though these are Japanese prices, they do indicate the trend

価格.com - ペンタックス PENTAX K20D ボディ 価格比較
11-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #21

Aren't the "prodigital" auctions on Ebay legit?
11-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jocko_nc Quote
Aren't the "prodigital" auctions on Ebay legit?
Yes (as far as I can tell), but they are "canadian" models and you need the "International" warranty for any US service. According to their website, I believe you can use the standard Canadian 2 yr warranty if you send it to Pentax Canada....They are also not eligible for the m$ rebate.
I do believe you can forget getting the US 3 yr extended warranty if bought here and shipped to the US........
There are some US warrantied Pentax k20d's offered on ebay but most are not eligible for the M$ 'live" rebates for one reason or another.
Case in point Cameta Camera. USA prducts and warranty but because they go through a 3rd party billing system they are not eligible for the 25% (up to $200) ms live rebates........
If they were the camera would only cost you around $600............
THIS ius what you would like to see.................

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-05-2008 at 03:12 PM.
11-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I bit, when the price came down to 」599 a month ago, and now Pentax have launched another cashback of 」100 as of 1st Nov. :-(
Gutted a bit, but then I would not have the benefit of the K20D in the last month for some important shots (portraits, wildlife) which the K10D might have given me the level of IQ that I needed. Still 2000 shots in a month is not bad.

I might write to Pentax UK though, expressing my "disappointment" of no cash back for just a month when I bought mine...........
11-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #24
Inactive Account

I've started to order it twice. Once from Amazon and once from buydig.com and cancelled both. I am just not sure I need to upgrade my K10. The one thing that interests me most is the better noise levels at ISO 1600 with the K20, but is it worth $800.
11-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #25

double post, oops...

Last edited by jocko_nc; 11-05-2008 at 09:05 PM.
11-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #26

Is the Canadian model marked as such? Serial numbers?

Frankly, I don't see the difference if I buy a camera while visiting up in Canada or if I have it shipped from Canada. I have occasionally bought stuff (skis once) up in Canada when the currency exchange was very favorable. You're allowed to do it. It is a pretty open market up there. It never occurred to me that warranty would be an issue.

Which brings up the larger issue:

From what I have found, warranty is a legal obligation required by the State in which a company does business. A company does business in your state, they are registered to do so with the state. The State warranty rules apply to them. If you have a warranty claim for a product purchased far away that the company does not want to honor, you make a complaint to the Agent registered by the company in your state. You can find this Agent (a law firm probably) on the State website. There is a whole list of companies there. You tell this Agent that he is required to follow the State procedures. This is their product that you bought and took possession in your State. The law doesn't care how you bought it, the law does not honor the company's boilerplate "limits" on their "limited warranty". Just the time period and the remedy. I think, if pushed in this manner, any camera purchased anywhere through any channel would get the full warranty intended for that item.

Anyone have any experience on this?

I had a beef with a large Best Buy rebate once. Customer Service was no help. They want to keep the money. I sent a very pithy e-mail to the Best Buy Registered Agent in NC saying that I was getting screwed and getting nowhere. The next step is a Small Claim in Wake County, the listed home turf of the Agent. That is the procedure. This approach resolved the issue instantly. I got my check in two days.

I assume the same applies to warranty situation. ???.
11-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jocko_nc Quote
Is the Canadian model marked as such? Serial numbers?

Frankly, I don't see the difference if I buy a camera while visiting up in Canada or if I have it shipped from Canada. I have occasionally bought stuff (skis once) up in Canada when the currency exchange was very favorable. You're allowed to do it. It is a pretty open market up there. It never occurred to me that warranty would be an issue.

Which brings up the larger issue:

From what I have found, warranty is a legal obligation required by the State in which a company does business. A company does business in your state, they are registered to do so with the state. The State warranty rules apply to them. If you have a warranty claim for a product purchased far away that the company does not want to honor, you make a complaint to the Agent registered by the company in your state. You can find this Agent (a law firm probably) on the State website. There is a whole list of companies there. You tell this Agent that he is required to follow the State procedures. This is their product that you bought and took possession in your State. The law doesn't care how you bought it, the law does not honor the company's boilerplate "limits" on their "limited warranty". Just the time period and the remedy. I think, if pushed in this manner, any camera purchased anywhere through any channel would get the full warranty intended for that item.

Anyone have any experience on this?

I had a beef with a large Best Buy rebate once. Customer Service was no help. They want to keep the money. I sent a very pithy e-mail to the Best Buy Registered Agent in NC saying that I was getting screwed and getting nowhere. The next step is a Small Claim in Wake County, the listed home turf of the Agent. That is the procedure. This approach resolved the issue instantly. I got my check in two days.

I assume the same applies to warranty situation. ???.
Yes there are a lot of things about warranties that are not actually stated, as you seem to understand. There are even situations that lead one to have warranty repairs long after the warranty expired such as hidden defects.
Most of the point is just to make it "easy" on us consumers without resorting to all the work to push issues to their limits...
One thing, as I mentioned earlier, Canadian law requires Pentax to carry a 2 year warranty. In the US only one.
Then again shipping the camera for repairs back and forth from US to Canada is a bit more expensive then shipping in the US..
Guess it's just how much FUD can you handle.....
As to model marking I believe most companies have methods of doing this. I know Seiko watches have region specific serial numbers.
11-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #28

I want another K20D body (have one already and a K10D, too) but remain hopeful for another price adjustment or official Pentax rebate. Have been watching prices everywhere and I can't seem to find that the live search cashback makes a wit of difference in the price as compared to buying from a reputable, reliable source like B & H and Amazon for instance. Seems to me that whatever path one takes, it's about $800.00.

Oh, Craig 1024, I am no tweak, but putting a limited series lens first on a K10D and then on a K20D showed me the difference in the two. The K10D images are awesome, but the K20D images left me close to breathless. Figure out how to get a K20D and you won't be sorry.
11-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prairie Dog Quote
I want another K20D body (have one already and a K10D, too) but remain hopeful for another price adjustment or official Pentax rebate. Have been watching prices everywhere and I can't seem to find that the live search cashback makes a wit of difference in the price as compared to buying from a reputable, reliable source like B & H and Amazon for instance. Seems to me that whatever path one takes, it's about $800.00.

Oh, Craig 1024, I am no tweak, but putting a limited series lens first on a K10D and then on a K20D showed me the difference in the two. The K10D images are awesome, but the K20D images left me close to breathless. Figure out how to get a K20D and you won't be sorry.
That's because you are not using the 25% off on ebay "but it nows"...
I just bought a K200D (USA) for $539.95 plus $14.50 s/h/ins.
W/ the 25% rebate (takes 60 days) through ms live the bottom line is:

-$134.99 (approved btw)= $419.46 B&H nor Adorama can touch this price right now (maybe later)
K20 (USA warranty, free shipping) can be had for roughly $650...........
Will inform you of any gothchas.... if this goes through (k200d) seemlessly (so far it has and Fedex will deliver in a few days) I'm going for the K20 as well.......
11-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #30
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got one with a grip 6 weeks ago ($925.00 ($800/camera and $125/grip)) and since then they seem to have dropped through the floor in terms of the prices.