Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #46
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 150
QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
I know the price will fall further but I've been watching/lowballing the eBay auctions for K20s for the past 3 weeks and finally got one for $630US today from Prodigital (best price I've seen on the auctions so far). The warranty appears to be an international one year version (the Canuck version is 2 years which would be better for me but I can't complain).

Keep your eyes on these auctions because there is definitely a pattern related to day of week and time of day.

Happy to be one of the K20D crowd!
How did you end up at 630? When I'd put in offers they'd never take take anything lower than 900CAD, which I think is $760 or so. Did you use a coupon? The 25% live doesn't work since their checkout isn't paypal based (that and I don't think Canada applies to the live cashback). Not that it matters anyway. I'd want to buy from a US retailer so that I could qualify for the 3yr warranty if I were hunting on eBay.

11-08-2008, 06:54 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,238
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
............... waiting to bite?

Amazon has it down to $790 with a free Pentax bag.

I'm watching and waiting, just haven't decided at which point I'm going to jump in.
I'm kind of hoping I can get the K20 and the K1000 for about $1100. $1000 would be nice but I don't think that's going to happen before the holidays.
Gary, like you and others, I'm paying attention to where K20D pricing is going. I've never developed a strong desire for this camera, especially after hints (and that's all they are) from Pentax and Samsung that the next camera will be a more pronounced departure from the K10D I already own. However, I suspect that I do have a price - I just don't know what it is; I guess I'll know it if I see it.

BTW, just to put the K20D price drop in context - I just noticed that B&H is selling a Canon 40D for a little over 870 bucks. I'm paying attention to that, as well. Recently, after handling a 40D, I've begun to harbor heretical thoughts of perhaps initiating a slow transition to Canon. One way to approach that transition would be to "audition" Canon's system, by buying a 40D and a general purpose zoom and playing with them for a year or so prior to making a more definitive commitment. However, the price on the Canon stuff would have to drop considerably more before I'd seriously entertain going forward.

Finally, I've also thought of picking up a new K2000D as a travel camera to replace my DS2, which - along with the lens and flash that comes with the K2000 - I would give to my daughter for Christmas. Upon reflection, however, my interest has cooled, since $700 seems a bit much for the K2000D kit given what it is. My guess this price will drop precipitously as we enter what promises to be a very soft holiday market. Bad news in general, but possibly good news for those of us who like to buy camera stuff.

Jer
11-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #48
Senior Member
MacGirl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 183
The price on the K20D is finally coming down and everything else starts to fall apart! Dryer or camera? House payment or camera? Guess I'll stick with my trusty old *istDS. I feel like a spoiled little kid, pouting cause I can't have what I want.
11-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #49
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by Mindflux Quote
Yes, and that doesn't apply to anyone but residents of..what country? Bueller?
And if I have to mail it out for repairs, what difference doses it make, Gomer? Ever hear of NAFTA?

11-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #50
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, San Diego, Seattle
Posts: 456
Local Pentax dealer in San Diego was selling ALL Pentax and Pentax bodies and related gear (tamron, etc) at prices below these for the bodies, then after the cameras were all sold, reduced lenses and everything leftover to cost. All they have left is are some Tamron 28-75's, all of which severely FF or BF and a couple grips.....

--rumor mill grist--
Now, when I asked about all this (kind stupid thing to do, I suppose) but they guy (older grumpier guy) said that the K20D would be Pentax's last DSLR, that they can't afford to compete and don't sell enough to warrant R&D and new products, and if the 60-250 and 55 finally make it out it will be in low quantities and that those would be their last lenses, that they stopped developing the 30 and that they no longer have the infrastructure to support USA dealers anymore which is why they are getting out of the brand altogether, and that there is no longer a president of Pentax USA and that soon no more Pentax USA, although he said that the P&S line will continue and possibly a micro 4/3 variant.

but who knows, sometimes these places just want more room or inventory or investment in the hotter and more profitable gear and they are told various justifications for doing so.... or perhaps Pentax is more profitable dealing through on-line vendors and Pentax can't or local dealers can't make enough profit or be competitive enough going this route?
11-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #51
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,434
QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
Local Pentax dealer in San Diego was selling ALL Pentax and Pentax bodies and related gear (tamron, etc) at prices below these for the bodies, then after the cameras were all sold, reduced lenses and everything leftover to cost. All they have left is are some Tamron 28-75's, all of which severely FF or BF and a couple grips.....

--rumor mill grist--
Now, when I asked about all this (kind stupid thing to do, I suppose) but they guy (older grumpier guy) said that the K20D would be Pentax's last DSLR, that they can't afford to compete and don't sell enough to warrant R&D and new products, and if the 60-250 and 55 finally make it out it will be in low quantities and that those would be their last lenses, that they stopped developing the 30 and that they no longer have the infrastructure to support USA dealers anymore which is why they are getting out of the brand altogether, and that there is no longer a president of Pentax USA and that soon no more Pentax USA, although he said that the P&S line will continue and possibly a micro 4/3 variant.

but who knows, sometimes these places just want more room or inventory or investment in the hotter and more profitable gear and they are told various justifications for doing so.... or perhaps Pentax is more profitable dealing through on-line vendors and Pentax can't or local dealers can't make enough profit or be competitive enough going this route?
The K2000/K/m was actually released after the K20... As to support ect. of small dealers it was rumored Pentax required at least a $100,000 order...
Sounds like the "old guy" is just bitter or hurt by the new terms....
11-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #52
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
Local Pentax dealer in San Diego was selling ALL Pentax and Pentax bodies and related gear (tamron, etc) at prices below these for the bodies, then after the cameras were all sold, reduced lenses and everything leftover to cost. All they have left is are some Tamron 28-75's, all of which severely FF or BF and a couple grips.....

--rumor mill grist--
Now, when I asked about all this (kind stupid thing to do, I suppose) but they guy (older grumpier guy) said that the K20D would be Pentax's last DSLR, that they can't afford to compete and don't sell enough to warrant R&D and new products, and if the 60-250 and 55 finally make it out it will be in low quantities and that those would be their last lenses, that they stopped developing the 30 and that they no longer have the infrastructure to support USA dealers anymore which is why they are getting out of the brand altogether, and that there is no longer a president of Pentax USA and that soon no more Pentax USA, although he said that the P&S line will continue and possibly a micro 4/3 variant.

but who knows, sometimes these places just want more room or inventory or investment in the hotter and more profitable gear and they are told various justifications for doing so.... or perhaps Pentax is more profitable dealing through on-line vendors and Pentax can't or local dealers can't make enough profit or be competitive enough going this route?
I guy in a shop told me the same thing 20 years ago. I ended up getting a Chinon CP-7m only to see the Pentax P3n in another shop in another city a few months later.
11-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #53
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, San Diego, Seattle
Posts: 456
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
The K2000/K/m was actually released after the K20... As to support ect. of small dealers it was rumored Pentax required at least a $100,000 order...
Sounds like the "old guy" is just bitter or hurt by the new terms....
Yeah, I'm thinking they are hurting financially, and are just wanting to specialize in Canon / Nikon only, then trying to make it sound like they had good reasons for doing so instead of having their Pentax customers thinking it was their own doing that they aren't gonna carry the brand anymore....

Back to B&H for me. But it was nice to buy certain items from local retail (like the 16-50) so I could try it and return it if needed....

11-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #54
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
BTW, just to put the K20D price drop in context - I just noticed that B&H is selling a Canon 40D for a little over 870 bucks. I'm paying attention to that, as well. Recently, after handling a 40D, I've begun to harbor heretical thoughts of perhaps initiating a slow transition to Canon. One way to approach that transition would be to "audition" Canon's system, by buying a 40D and a general purpose zoom and playing with them for a year or so prior to making a more definitive commitment. However, the price on the Canon stuff would have to drop considerably more before I'd seriously entertain going forward.


Jer
And by then they'll have probably changed the mount.
11-09-2008, 07:04 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,238
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
And by then they'll have probably changed the mount.
I ain't holding my breath - that's for sure. In fact, today the idea of maintaining two systems seems nutty, and I love my Pentax primes too much to give them up. Besides, I don't have the time to use all the equipment I already have - something I hope to partially rectify this afternoon. It's a beautiful day in SE Texas.

Jer
11-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #56
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 109
I just bought a K20D (body only) on ebay from ProDigital2000 for $741 shipped. Now I am having serious buyers remourse! And I don't even have it yet.
11-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #57
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by craig1024 Quote
I just bought a K20D (body only) on ebay from ProDigital2000 for $741 shipped. Now I am having serious buyers remourse! And I don't even have it yet.
Why the remorse?
11-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #58
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 109
I don't know. Maybe because I think the price is going to keep dropping. Maybe because I have a perfectly good K10D with less than 10,000 shots. Maybe because I shouldn't be spending $741.
11-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #59
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 91
I'm really debating. I just see so many conflicting reports about whether it is a justifiable upgrade from the K10D. I just want better ISo performance and the ability to shoot JPG. I don't really care for the JPG's from my K10D and feel I'm always tinkering with them.
11-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #60
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 109
The improved high ISO performance was a big seller for me.

Just checked buydig.com and it is now $774.95 with free 4GB memory card. Down another $5 from last week.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k20, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20 price at adorama gokenin Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 06-13-2009 09:53 AM
K20 price drop FHPhotographer Pentax News and Rumors 24 02-17-2009 07:20 PM
$749 best K20 price? FHPhotographer Pentax News and Rumors 13 02-12-2009 08:43 PM
K20, at what Price and Date does it sell out? rdrum76 Pentax News and Rumors 5 12-20-2008 10:36 PM
Question Social group monitoring Arpe Site Suggestions and Help 3 10-02-2008 04:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:55 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top