Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2020, 02:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Kingdom of DSLR

In their recent videos, Ricoh/Pentax has firmly staked out their ground in the DSLR realm. As others depart for Mirrorless, many Pentaxians will be experiencing mixed emotions. Hence this question.

If Pentax goes on to become the "King of DSLR", and eventually its only inhabitant as everyone else departs for the "Land of Mirrorless", will you be happy?

Some possible answers:
  1. Yes, because Pentax will finally be top of the heap (a very small heap)
  2. No, because I will feel insecure that maybe we are heading for extinction
  3. Yes, because I don't care about anything else so long as I have the cameras and lenses I want
  4. No, because I want Pentax to move to Mirrorless too
  5. Yes, because the departed will eventually realize and repent their error and return to the Kingdom of DSLR
  6. No, because life in a niche is uncomfortable and lonely, and small children will point at me and laugh
  7. Yes, because a new generation of DSLR photographers will come to replace us and The Departed
  8. No, because they don't call me Grumpy for nothing
  9. Yes, because I'm a proud Pentaxian and I live in the happiest kingdom of them all
  10. I don't believe it will happen; CaNikon will stick with DSLR for years to come
  11. Yes, because I'm not heavily invested in Pentax and feel free to jump to wherever the grass is greener
  12. No opinion; it's just evolution; que sera sera
  13. Other (fill in your own ...................).

I think I know where I stand on this (maybe I have a foot in two camps), but am interested to hear others' views.

07-29-2020, 02:59 AM - 7 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
13. A bit of both. Happy that Pentax will continue to make DSLR cameras for years to come and sad that the mirrorless owners won't realize how perfect the view through an optical viewfinder is.
07-29-2020, 03:12 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty much this.
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
3. Yes, because I don't care about anything else so long as I have the cameras and lenses I want
Apart from that, I expect this to remain true as well.
10. I don't believe it will happen; CaNikon will stick with DSLR for years to come
Not that I really care
07-29-2020, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yeah - I think it's both a joy and a concern - I love Pentax cameas and I don't want a ML, but there's already a lot of unwarrented hostility to DSLRs (like the things you loved until yesterday now irritate the hell out of you) and attempts to paint ML as the future and SLRs as the past, and that could make it very diffcult for Pentax to survive in the short to medium term. If it does, however, it will occupy a nice little niche to which some people will start to return for sure - but it ill only be people who enjoy the experience of photography and don't want to relinquish every decision to the camera.

07-29-2020, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
3 works well

07-29-2020, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

If Pentax goes on to become the "King of DSLR", and eventually its only inhabitant
"The fight raged on for a century, many lives were claimed but eventually,
A champion stood, all the rest saw their better..."

Quote context:
07-29-2020, 03:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

No 3 for me and regarding mirrorless, I have a Fuji 690 :-)

07-29-2020, 05:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Put me down for #3
07-29-2020, 05:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't believe it will happen; CaNikon will stick with DSLR for years to come

Last years figures showed 97% bought Dslrs from those 2.Even though they have added ML systems,those dslr $$$ are still vitally important.
07-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

3. for me as well... if I have or can have the things I need, then everybody can do whatever they want but it won't affect me

But like others I do think Canikon will keep some lines in the DSLR realm... at least one crop and one FF for each for as long as they sell.
07-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

12. Que sera sera. As long as I have the tools I need to pursue my photographic hobby, I am a happy camper. Definitely a first world problem to have.
07-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon and Canon are losing money right now. Pentax can't afford to do that. I much prefer an optical viewfinder anyway. I'm glad Pentax will continue to make the cameras I like.
07-29-2020, 10:26 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

#3 - that's number three, not hashtag three. (What does hashtag even mean, and who decided to change the name of the pound/number symbol? OK so I'm a dinosaur.)
07-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

3 with a pinch of 10. Canikon won't 100% commit to MILC's and drop all SLR development IMHO.
07-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
13. because a niche based on mystique rather than facts is probably bound to be more expensive and less bang-per-bucks (see Apple, Leica etc.)