Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #16

It’s number 3 for me too......and they call me Grumpy anyway (my choice, with tongue in cheek, when my first grandchild was born).........and it stuck!!

Take care,
Mike

07-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For me, it's a bit of a mix:
  • Yes, because Pentax will finally be top of the heap (a very small heap)
  • No, because I will feel insecure that maybe we are heading for extinction
  • No, because I want Pentax to move to Mirrorless too
  • No, because life in a niche is uncomfortable and lonely, and small children will point at me and laugh
  • I don't believe it will happen; CaNikon will stick with DSLR for years to come
While I don't see CaNikon dropping DSLRs overnight, reading the tea leaves say that they will scale down development of new lenses and bodies. Pentax might gain a bigger share of this shrinking market. Being a big fish in a small pond is not very exciting.

It might be evolution but I don't feel the que sera sera. When I got my first Pentax, it was a mainstream brand that offered better value than the opposition. Glass was particularly well priced compared to the CaNikon equivalents. If you couldn't stretch your budget to Asahi's finest, there were plenty of third party alternatives.

The Pentax of the 21st century is very different. Small(ish) range of upmarket DSLRs and lenses, nothing at the entry level, few third party lenses. And now the news comes that mirrors are the Pentax way and that the other choice is the highway. I happen to like EVFs - focus peaking works a treat with my classic manual focus glass. I will now have to look elsewhere when the time comes to replace my Samsung NX1. Oh well, such is life.
07-29-2020, 11:35 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If Pentax goes on to become the "King of DSLR", and eventually its only inhabitant as everyone else departs for the "Land of Mirrorless", will you be happy?

SLRs where among the things that, back in the early 1980s, drew me towards photography. I grew up and learnt photography with them. When they became capable DSLRs, my mind was blown and my love of photography rekindled. So, if Pentax managed to become the not-so-super-rich person's Leica in the remaining DSLR world, I'd be totally fine with that niche. But I wouldn't want them to go full retro for nostalgia's sake; I want them to go on pushing the envelope of what DSLR photography can be and do.
07-29-2020, 11:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd just be happy if Pentax will make it through this crazy competitive, and rapidly shrinking market. I'd like to keep investing into my Pentax system, hope new ff body will at least be announced next year so I can invest into the new dfa glass)

07-29-2020, 12:00 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

13. Because I am closing in on 78, and it is no worse than an even bet that I am gone before Pentax.

---------- Post added 07-29-20 at 02:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
13. because a niche based on mystique rather than facts is probably bound to be more expensive and less bang-per-bucks (see Apple, Leica etc.)
I think I would consider Apple - one of the world’s most valuable companies - an alternative rather than a niche.
07-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
will you be happy?
#13 None of the above. My happiness or sadness is determined by bigger things than what Ricoh/Pentax does.

Ideally, Pentax would give us a choice of optical viewfinder and mirrorless bodies with lens compatibility across the product lines. They need to do that while remaining profitable, yet not become too expensive. It's a delicate balancing act due to smartphones, heavy competition, and the coronavirus financial fallout.

Given where I stand in the Pentax system, the best development for me would be to see Canon or Nikon fail. Pentax could pick up some of the scraps; if a small percentage of those users convert it might double Pentax' USA market overnight.
07-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #22
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Number 13 - Yes, because the K-mount will live on and my commitment is in my lenses.

07-29-2020, 02:17 PM - 4 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm 8 , not so much because I'm grumpy, more due to being a contrarian by nature, Pentax has always fitted nicely with this.
then 3, because Pentax does provide me with the lenses I need to enjoy my amateur photography hobby and despite not being mirrorless, if required for the job I can always use live view and pretend I have a mirrorless camera,
Overall though, it has to be 9, I am a very happy Pentaxian, all through my 50 years of owning Pentax branded products, the company has provided me with tools that I have been able to use to pursue my still photography hobby. Just yesterday, I was using a pentax 67 M* 400mm lens, with the addition of 2 teleconverters a 1.4 and 2x mounted onto my K1 with a Pentax 6x7 K converter to give me an effective 1120mm f11 lens. I had the O-ME53 magnifying viewfinder to help me focus and also switched to Liveview to check the framing. I was very happy with the results from this frankenstein system of new and old equipment. If I wanted to go even sillier I could have added on the K-Q adapter on the Pentax Q, now that is crazy, but doable with Pentax products. I also just received my copy of the latest 85mm lens, top quality and amazing piece of glass, how could anyone be unhappy with a company that supports photography in such a wonderful way, Pentaxian till I die

07-29-2020, 02:32 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Given where I stand in the Pentax system, the best development for me would be to see Canon or Nikon fail.
I would not wish that on all their users.
07-29-2020, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

#13...Huh?

I know...I'm not much fun.

Not everyone considers their gear an investment or is particularly concerned about upgrade path. Even fewer view the maker of their gear as sort of like the owners of a sports team. I like the idea that Pentax will continue to focus on SLRs, much the same as I like that Leica, Phase One and Hasselblad make medium format SLRs and that film technology still exists. Does any of that make me happy? Perhaps in an intellectual sense, due to my fondness for SLR photography, but not enough to have me brag the decision up to my non-photographer friends or get a tattoo of a pentaprism.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-29-2020 at 03:29 PM.
07-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
"The fight raged on for a century, many lives were claimed but eventually,
A champion stood, all the rest saw their better..."

Quote context: The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny w/lyrics - YouTube
Given the fanboy aspects of even the most serious matters today, this video is extremely pertinent.

Steve
07-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
13. because a niche based on mystique rather than facts is probably bound to be more expensive and less bang-per-bucks (see Apple, Leica etc.)
Facts? Which facts are those?

Add me to the 3 list with a healthy cup of 10 for reality..
07-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Number 3. I'm quite happy with the Pentax gear I've got.
07-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #29
Forum Member

I fall as a 3 if I can get things I want to use I am happy, but I use m43 as well and enjoy the use of both types. I had a Sony A7, just did not enjoy using it even though the images from it were very good. Choice is good, I did read someplace that Canon were stopping development of EF lenses, but then the catalog of EF lenses is pretty massive so could see them stop bringing out new DSLR models in the next few years.
07-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #30
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So long as a segment of photographers require or think they require dslr,** Nikon, Canon and/or others besides Pentax** will continue to provide same.
_____
** IMO the dslr will always have several advantages for sport/theatre/and the like. And Pentax apparently (but I only tried AF a bit w/ my K-5's, so anecdotal) has not provided adequate AF for these applications. [When I want AF I use Nikon D700's.]