Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What will the new flagship APS-C be called?
K-3 III 1716.83%
K-2 1615.84%
K-C 65.94%
K-New 32.97%
Something else 5958.42%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 116 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2020, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I think Pentax might avoid K2 considering the drug connotatation that some will toss around. Of course there is that mountain.

...and the fact that the Pentax K2 already exists.....

08-01-2020, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #47
Forum Member

My vote has been "something else".

For APS-C sized sensors, we already have got K-m / K-x finally K-r as low spec / level cameras.
Then we had K-S1 and K-S2. So there is a tend for using letters.

The two-digit numbers like K-30 / K50 / K-70 seem to be the scheme for current entry level (still higher level than the previous ones).

The one-digit number is a possibility, but many numbers have been used already, and Pentax cornered themselves by counting backwards..

1 / 3 / 5 / 7 have already been used, they prefer odd numbers.

4 is felt as a deadly number by Japanese, so no.
K2 is a legendary film camera, and such a name will confuse people and search algorithms. I would see it to be stupid.

For the replacement of K-3 mark II, this leaves with :

* KP-2 (similarly to the K-S2, my bet)
* K-9 (= 3 * III, and last unused odd number)
* K-3 mark III (still possible).
08-01-2020, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
... but there's no K-2 yet...
08-01-2020, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Oh and an even better reason.Thanks.

I'm leaning K3 MarkIII.

08-01-2020, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And they have had KX and K-x, KM and K-m. So why not K-2

Maybe the dash sign on the names is actually a minus sign and now the name will start being a plus 😉 Maybe they didn’t corner themselves after all. 👀
08-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #51
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've said this before:

K-3 III
K-1 III
645 III

(Q III?)
08-01-2020, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I've said this before:

K-3 III
K-1 III
645 III

(Q III?)
Far too logical, but they could have started way back at the beginning of digital, then this would have been the K-32 (id you include full frame and medium format, or K-28 in ASP-C. Or would you have counted the early prototype that was cancelled?

I'd love to be in one of those meetings when they choose the final name. Of course I would need to understand Japanese, so forget that.

I honestly remember when first starting to research digital cameras, the name "ist" kind of turned me off to Pentax initially, I thought is was so stupid sounding. Thankfully the K-10D came out shortly after that.

08-01-2020, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
the name "ist" kind of turned me off to Pentax initially
Do we have any idea where that came from? It seems weird! As a very recent owner of an *istD, I'm curious to know. (I am too lazy to search for a reason - if there is one, somebody here will surely know it!)
08-01-2020, 07:11 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever it winds up being, it will probably follow the Pentax tradition of nothing logical. How could they find logic in coming out with a K-3 replacing the K-5? Then a FF model named the K-1??? Why can they not employ a logical numbers and letters development series like Nikon, Canon and others? You know, just counting as in 1,2,3,4, etc. or a,b,c,d, etc?? And not start in the middle. Then they wouldn't paint themselves into a naming corner. When their reduced-size replacement for the K-20D (wow, going from K10D to K20D WAS logical for a change) they distinguished the new compact design with a new way of numbering- so why start that with K-7? Why not K-1 for it, then K-3 (the skip to avoid confusing with the old film body K-2) then K-4, then K-5, etc. So what is wrong with correcting this situation by simply filling in the unused numbers, so the upcoming model would be the K-4? If the next after will be the same model with a few upgrades, then do the same as with the K-3, make it K-4 II. If the next after will be a redesign, then go to K-6. The unique concept of the KP is distinguished by using two bold letters, But why start with a "P"? (Maybe some designer's initial?) Why not KA? or if wanting only consonants, KB? There are many ways of establishing a logical sequence.

---------- Post added 08-01-20 at 07:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It could also be the SP (Super Pentaprism)
I too like this idea, since the new VF is apparently one of its outstanding features. Then they could logically name it K-SP1 and this concept could go on as K-SP2, on infinitum.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-01-2020 at 07:21 PM.
08-01-2020, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #55

The New Pentax DSLR Name.

Hi,
I feel that the Pentax family of cameras can do with a new name for the new DSLR camera. I would like to recommend "PENTAX RAPTOR" or "R 1"
How about some fun?
Sincerely Marreus
08-01-2020, 09:30 PM - 2 Likes   #56
Veteran Member

I still vote for Fred. Or Sally. Or Isaac. Or if it must begin with a 'K', then how about K-evin or K-arl. :K

Whatever it is called, it sure isn't going to be K-3 III. Why are some still insisting on that name? It's an entirely new body, which has
historically >>always<< been given a new model name.
08-02-2020, 01:24 AM - 2 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

What's in a name? Any name would be fine as long as it doesn't sound ridiculous. ������
08-02-2020, 07:47 AM - 3 Likes   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"Dear customers, we're pleased to introduce our new, amazing DSLR, the Pentax EOGNRSQQULHHXUYAAFSO!
Sigh... it's a long story... that was the only combination which wouldn't mean something bad, to someone..."
That reminds me of a cattle joke.

A New York family bought a ranch out west where they intended to raise cattle. Friends came to visit and asked if the ranch had a name
"Well," said the would-be-cattleman. "I wanted to call it the Bar-J, my wife favored the Suzy-Q, one son liked the Flying-W, and the other son wanted the Lazy-Y. So, we're calling it the Bar-J-Suzy-Q-Flying-W-Lazy-Y."

"But, where are all your cattle?"

"None have survived the branding."

And like the absent cows in the joke, we'll have no camera because the name wouldn't fit.
08-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #59

K-NFS

NFS=No Flippy Screen
08-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #60
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting sample! about 1/3 of us think the camera is named either the K-3III, K-2, K-C, or K-New (that was a joke guys.. haha).
About 2/3 of us think it will be something else.
Obligatory pie chart:
Attached Images