08-02-2020, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
#1. My wife won't let me.
#2. My wife says I can't.
#3. My wife is giving me "the look".
#4. My wife says if I carry on along this tangent then it will be a while before we, you know.....
Does she know AggieMom?

08-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The only thing stopping me from buying it will be the expense.
Same here.

....and in my case....me justifying what I don't really need. Like a new Leica digital Rangefinder with 35mm F 1.4 or F 2 and 90mm lenses. It would cost a huge amount. For me, acquiring this particular equipment would be a benefit of winning a very large lottery.

08-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
All those people who have too many cameras, should accept they have too many cameras for a reason. And for that reason they will inevitably end up buying the K-New.
Well, I have skipped quite a few new models. Never found interest in the K-7 instead getting a new left over K20D for 1/2 price with a free 5 year Pentax warranty. Eventually went on to a new K-5 and K-5 IIs, the latter for 1/2 price after the K-3 arrived. I still consider it a fine camera, and think very highly of its controls layout. Never got the K-30/K-50 style, nor the K-S1 or K01, got a deal for the little K-S2 new instead after the K-70 came. It's great in a belt pack with the little DA-L 18-50mm anytime when super-compact matters. Never got the K-3 and certainly not the K-3 II. The KP interested me right away. I like it so much I got another.

Nonetheless, over time it is still easy to accumulate too much if you never sell anything. For me, extra-fine results and useful, efficient functionality are what it should bring to interest me. It might balance even better than my K-5 IIs as my KP's alternate when I don't need the KP's less bulky and lighter advantage, and prefer a meatier body with more dedicated controls. The new VF sounds interesting for starters.
08-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Does she know AggieMom?
I bet you they swap notes!

08-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wait and see, BUT, if it's a quantum leap from the KP, then it's a double quantum leap from my K3, and I will be sorely tempted by improved AF and high ISO.
08-02-2020, 09:17 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Just one reason for me, I’m quite happy with my KP
That can change.
08-02-2020, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Only ten? Just kidding

The only reason I can think of might be that there will be at least five people on this site that will persistently post that it lacks a key feature that we already know will probably not be present. I hate buyers remorse and am very impressionable and feel it is best to cut one's losses early rather then endure the shame of not having a feature.

Steve

(...hopes pinned on K-new II...)

08-02-2020, 11:11 PM   #38
Pentaxian

If the K-new is the same size or larger than a more capable similarly priced mirrorless FF, then I will ................. (fill in your own).

C'mon Pentax. Let's really crush this. Leave no room for quibbling. Make it the BEST. I for one have my hand in my pocket and am ready to buy, if you give me a good reason to. But no, an improved pentaprism alone won't cut it.
08-02-2020, 11:31 PM   #39
Veteran Member

11. I will be buying the K-New because I don't habitually purchase every shiny bauble that dangles in front of me. As such, the K-New will represent
a significant upgrade on my still very serviceable K-3. I'm quite looking forward to the new camera.

As for the first 10....

1. Yes, but not really relevant. I don't have anything comparable to what I expect the K-New to be.
2. Historically, yes, but oddly at present, no.
3. Yes, really. What a silly question. Suggest reading fewer DPR articles.
4. Not relevant. Guilt over purchasing yet another Q adaptable C-mount lens, yes. Guilt over purchasing a frontline body upgrade, not a chance.
5. Not relevant. I don't >need< my K-3 either. My ME Super still works; I could still be scanning slides. I want the K-New.
6. Now you're just being silly. Not remotely relevant.
7. My 1984 300TD has close to 300K. Not having a new car payment affords LOTS of extra cash for camera gear upgrades. Also, drive less.
8. No I don't.
9. ?? I'm not wishing 'death' >to< OVF. Did you mean >of<. Once again, suggest fewer DPR articles.
10. Well, there you are......
08-03-2020, 01:17 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I was just last week shooting with of all things K10D, and what an enjoyable camera that is, still. I just love the rendition of this sensor with 50/135/2.8. Do any of us really need a new camera body? Maybe money is better spent for a trip to beautiful places . . .
Maybe money is better spent for a trip to beautiful places . . .
Since COVID lockdown in Melbourne is getting worse so there's no likelihood of tripping to beautiful places* any time soon - why not buy a camera as compensation?

* except for my garden (and I can never have enough high ISO-low noise)
08-03-2020, 04:13 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Reason 1: My boss won't double my salary so I can remorselessly indulge in an APS-C kit (which I don't need, but when did that stop anyone*? My Tamron 90/2.5 was perfectly serviceable as a portrait lens and I still bought the 77 ).
And also, the D FA 21 Limited isn't gonna be given away for free

*I might be projecting but we're all suffering from a bit of LBA here right?
08-03-2020, 04:26 AM   #42
Unregistered User

5. I don’t need it
How about you guys?
that's the whole answer for me.
08-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #43
Forum Member

Only a few of your reasons would be my reasons. To stick with Pentax I need video features to improve, with 10 bit color, 60P 4k, and constant body output of sound, sync, and UHDMI. This would be difficult to achieve, but is possible for an APSC format camera (with slight cropping). Not so with full frame cameras. They have claimed that tracking, viewing, and auto focus will improve, and that the new Flagship sensor will offer improved image quality (whatever that means). Until the Canon 90D emerged, 26 MP looked promising. Sony too now offers a 30MP plus sensor which they peddle to other manufacturers from that separate Sensor development division of Sony Corp. But looking at the galleries of Fujifilm X-T4 with the 26MP resolution, frankly existing Pentax APSC resolution and sharpness look slightly better; Pentax existing color is definitely better in shadows and highlights. What Fuji has gained is much faster image recording processing speeds and depth of color (which is manipulable in Post). Their mirrorless body too goes to 11 fps, and has very low electronic shutter movement indication in video captured imagery. So, stills being what Pentax emphasizes, without radical improvement over the K3 we use now, features other than a bigger viewfinder will not resonate with what I use imaging tools to achieve.
08-03-2020, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
C'mon Pentax. Let's really crush this. Leave no room for quibbling. Make it the BEST. I for one have my hand in my pocket and am ready to buy, if you give me a good reason to. But no, an improved pentaprism alone won't cut it.
There is a good chance it may well be the best APS-C dSLR on the market by the time it releases. It will not be size competitive to APS-C mirrorless APS-C models from Fuji, though it may outperform APS-C mirrorless as a class for some metrics. I fear that if you require a CRUSHING victory, your money may just as well stay in your pocket until after the dust from the mirrorless wars settles.

Steve
08-03-2020, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Two main reason's I won't buy:

1. I prefer my newer Fuji X mirrorless bodies for my APS-C needs. They are small, have great ergonomics, can accept more adapted lenses than any DSLR, and they do good 4K video.
2. For my serious still images, I use my Pentax K-1's. I likely will never upgrade from them as they do everything that I need and then some. Minty low-mileage K-1's are regularly sold here in the market place for around $1,000 USD. I suspect the K-New will sell for hundreds of dollars more than that. Let's see, a minty used full-frame K-1 vs a more expensive APS-C K-new? That's an easy decision for me. The fabulous Pentax K-1 has spoiled me, I'll never look at another stills camera, not even a new Pentax one.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 08-03-2020 at 10:07 AM.