Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2020, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
that's the whole answer for me.
Works for me too. This year I've used my MX more than the K5iis and K01 combined

08-03-2020, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I bet you they swap notes!
Built into the hardware from birth!

---------- Post added 08-04-20 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vrphoto Quote
Melbourne
Looks like those SHOPping jaunts are out,BleakCity is even bleaker!
08-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Two main reason's I won't buy:

1.I prefer my newer Fuji X mirrorless bodies for my APS-C needs. They are small, have great ergonomics, can accept more adapted lenses than any DSLR, and they do good 4K video. 2. For my serious still images, I use my Pentax K-1's. I likely will never upgrade from them as they do everything that I need and then some. Minty low-mileage K-1's are regularly sold here in the market place for around $1,000 USD. I suspect the K-New will sell for hundreds of dollars more than that. Let's see, a minty used full-frame K-1 vs a more expensive APS-C K-new? That's an easy decision for me. The fabulous Pentax K-1 has spoiled me, I'll never look at another stills camera, not even a new Pentax one.
So, this is something that I am hearing often, and cannot help but wholeheartedly agree.

The market trend is that it is shifting towards mirrorless FF. That is absolutely NOT too say that there is not a market or appropriate use fo APS-C. That being said, the market and the area of use where APS-C offer significant advantages is at best not large, if not pretty limited. Then - Fuji has a compelling line up of APS-C cams that accept slew of lenses.

OVF vs EVF argument aside, the question is that would I want to pay near $2,000 or more (or less perhaps but not much less I imagine if that is the case), no matter how much better AF or OVF maybe, as I am not shooting flying birds. I am sooo much better off buying two gently used K-1s in the market place here as back ups. When I put K3 and K-1 side by side - for me the difference in size is not exactly overwhelming. Yeah once you start attaching long teles K-1 set up can become somewhat overwhelming. But other than that - I just don't see much of an advantage for what I do.

I cannot help but feel what an awesome K-new would be if this came out before K-1. I doubt it but it may have prevented me from buying K-1, perhaps not altogether but at least for a little while.

I do think that there are plenty of reasons to pursue this camera. If you have a complete line up of DA limiteds - that would be a good enough reason. I sold most of mine (other than DA ltd 35/2.8 Macro) when I bought K-1.

So I am not feeling it - but I probably still end up buying this camera just for the curiosity of it. I would probably wait, to make sure that knobs won't fall off or whatever.
08-04-2020, 02:55 AM - 3 Likes   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is easier to not buy a camera that has not been released yet, than to not buy after people start posting stellar photos from it on Pentax Forums.

I do think that with MILCs there has been shift towards video. This isn't to say that they can't take great still photos, but there hasn't been nearly as much improvement in that department. If I needed (or wanted) 4K or 8K video I would be looking elsewhere, but I am still a still photographer at heart and Pentax has never disappointed me in giving the best still images on the market. I expect the K-new to be impressive in that respect and that is what would get me to purchase one.

Last edited by Rondec; 08-04-2020 at 07:03 AM.
08-04-2020, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it is easier to not buy a camera that has not been released yet, than to not buy after people start posting stellar photos from it on Pentax Forums.
Yes, it is VERY easy to not buy a camera that is not for sale and even easier to complain about the features it may not have!

Steve
08-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Words from my son-in-law, wo declined my offer to give him a LN K-5lls and the two DA* Zooms: “You were right. Once the novelty wore off it is just easier to take a 15 second baby video with my iPhone than to haul out the G-5, transfer the file and upload to Photos. Turns out I use the real camera mostly for outdoor stuff.” He has I think the 14-42 and the 45-150.

I bit back the Told Ya.
08-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #52
Pentaxian

The camera with no name, no price and only a few murky details on its features and specifications...

Here is the man with no name. Actually, I know what his real name is, just not the character that he portrays.

08-04-2020, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The camera with no name
K-LNT??

Steve
08-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Wait and see, BUT, if it's a quantum leap from the KP, then it's a double quantum leap from my K3, and I will be sorely tempted by improved AF and high ISO.
I do believe we will see these improvements along with the best APS-C VF ever, including perhaps even better DR over the KP. And it should then be a double quantum leap over the K-3, otherwise why bother putting it out there? Its size I expect will be similar, so it is not designed to compete as being comparable to the compact APS-C mirrorless crowd. The KP already does that quite nicely.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-07-2020 at 01:05 PM.