Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2020, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Why not a Titanium edition ?

There are limited edition since the K5, are there any differences to a regular edition beside the body color ? I said in other post that I don't like that kind of silver so I will not bother with it, I am more interested to see one that made with Titanium. I know it is very hard to machine Titanium and the cost is high, but there are already few SLR with Ti edition, the Nikon F3T, FM2T, Contax S2T, OM3 Ti... there are also some so called Titanium DSLR include the rumored (?) K20D, but simply carry the color of Ti not the real thing. Those old Ti SLR of the film era not only became collector's items but also built to last, but I don't see any DSLR company produced such thing, or I missed ? or it doesn't worth to produce such thing as electronics won't last long ? btw my 6yrs. old 1st gen K3 has turned to almost Titanium after lot of bumps and drops, the paint peeling off exposing the metal but it still ticking.

08-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can only speak for the Pentax Titanium LX, released in 1994. The LX was already metal, so putting out a gold or titanium version back then when the LX was in it's heyday, was no big deal. A LX also had way less electronics than a modern DSLR and was more mechanical.

So probably a no go in today's market.

Phil.
08-04-2020, 12:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Why not a Titanium edition ?
Fuji Xpro3, has a black and silver edition,good cameras that show lots of grease build up from fingers.Its tough and should last,if anyone wants to pay the extra cost.

To expect Ricoh to put out something like that?....the KP has a special order of something or other?
08-04-2020, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's say a magnesium body weight is 250 grams for the shell alone, a titanium version will be 647 grams. Beside the cost I believe the mass will kill the idea off.

To try and optimise titanium for weight will be prohibitive in tool and development time and cost.

Paint colour is somewhat more realistic, and still niche.

08-04-2020, 02:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

When Lockheed started building the SR71, they had to figure out how to machine titanium. It is very hard, in more than one way. This makes it expensive - not a problem for a military jet but a deal breaker in a consumer product.
08-04-2020, 02:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Let's say a magnesium body weight is 250 grams for the shell alone, a titanium version will be 647 grams. Beside the cost I believe the mass will kill the idea off.

To try and optimise titanium for weight will be prohibitive in tool and development time and cost.

Paint colour is somewhat more realistic, and still niche.
I thought Titanium is much lighter than Magnesium that's why I came up with that idea ha !

Selecting the right lightweight metal
08-04-2020, 02:33 AM   #7

I don't think Ricoh would ever recover the cost of materials and manufacture for such an edition. Canon or Nikon may be able to handle the loss, or maybe not given the economy as it is at the moment.

Plenty of titanium based paints out there, BTW.

08-04-2020, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The grand daddy of titanium cameras. As far as I can tell, only the top and bottom plates are actually titanium.

Olympus OM3Ti - The OM System Swansong
08-04-2020, 03:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What a beautiful camera!
08-04-2020, 04:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This one has titanium look....
Attached Images

08-04-2020, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The grand daddy of titanium cameras. As far as I can tell, only the top and bottom plates are actually titanium.

Olympus OM3Ti - The OM System Swansong
I'm falling in love !!! VERY GREAT CAMERA !!! ... the price, if you find it (!), is stellar ... (sic!)
08-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the real McCoy and still sealed in plastic:

Phil.
Attached Images

08-04-2020, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Another special titanium LX:

AOHC - Asahi Optical Historical Club: Catalog[tipologia]=15
08-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Another special titanium LX:

AOHC - Asahi Optical Historical Club: Catalog[tipologia]=15
Yep there were two colours/versions, I'd be happy with either one!

Phil.
08-04-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Modern DSLRs like the K1 II cannot have an all metal body anymore. That would block the signals to/from the GPS and Wi-Fi antennas inside.

I get the supreme toughness of titanium in a camera body but there is this fragile thing sticking out at the front that contains glass.