Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2020, 06:18 AM   #1

Suggestion for buying a beginner-to-intermediate Pentax?

Hi everyone. As a beginner in photography, I am currently using a pre-owned K-01 mirrorless camera, that makes great pictures despite the user. I am not very skilled, but love to improve. I am a fan of Pentax cameras; I recently bought a pre-owned K-S1 that failed me cause of the aperture problem, so I had to send it back, and I am back to look for a pre-owned Pentax maybe around 500 euros that I can use with the set of lenses I have with my K-01? I would like something a step more the K-01, but definitely not professional. Any suggestion? Many thanks!

08-05-2020, 06:37 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome!

I would say that with your budget you could buy a used K-3 and that would be a fantastic camera to really learn. You will see that it is quite the step up from the K-S1 in terms of build quality, and especially in terms of controls in the body which you will be able to get to, without having to dig through menus all the time. Yes it will be a bit bigger and heavier than what you are used to with the K-01, but of course you can always keep the K-01 for when you want to just stroll around with a smaller camera.
Also, very importantly, you will not have the aperture block failure with the K-3!
08-05-2020, 06:52 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there anything about the K-01 which is holding you back? I found it to be a very versatile camera on my trip to Argentina back in 2012. Parts of me wish I had never sold it on.
Having said that, a second-hand K-70 will give you a 24 MP sensor, an optical viewfinder, an even smaller form factor, far better high-ISO performance, better AF, a flippy rear LCD screen and numerous other features.
08-05-2020, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 for K-70
24 MP
Beautiful pentaprism
Flippy Screen
Dual-Control wheels
Weather Sealed
PixelShift
14-bit RAW
Accelerator chip
Built-in WIFI
Great ergonomics

08-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Is there anything about the K-01 which is holding you back? I found it to be a very versatile camera on my trip to Argentina back in 2012. Parts of me wish I had never sold it on.
Having said that, a second-hand K-70 will give you a 24 MP sensor, an optical viewfinder, an even smaller form factor, far better high-ISO performance, better AF, a flippy rear LCD screen and numerous other features.
Nothing holding me back, K-01 is a great camera and I love it. I just would like a bit more resolution, a viewfinder and some more features for an additional camera. I read also some users of K-70 have been affected by the aperture problem as well... does it use the same aperture component of K-S1 or K-S2? Thanks!
08-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Hello and welcome!

I would say that with your budget you could buy a used K-3 and that would be a fantastic camera to really learn. You will see that it is quite the step up from the K-S1 in terms of build quality, and especially in terms of controls in the body which you will be able to get to, without having to dig through menus all the time. Yes it will be a bit bigger and heavier than what you are used to with the K-01, but of course you can always keep the K-01 for when you want to just stroll around with a smaller camera.
Also, very importantly, you will not have the aperture block failure with the K-3!
Thanks, I read the specs and it looks like a fun_tastic gear to have ... no- problem for being bigger and heavier, I will keep the K-01 thou cause it is a great camera. Thanks.
08-05-2020, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

here is the forum's camera comparison tool set up for the K 5 IIs vs. K 3 vs. K 70

Pentax K-5 IIs vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

the K 3 would be a great choice

here is the forum's marketplace sorted for equipment located in the EU

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (EU) - PentaxForums.com

08-05-2020, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The aperture problem seems to impact a percentage of users that is large enough to be vocal but hard to quantify.

If you want to avoid it, the k-5 and k-3 series of cameras (including their respective ii versions) are the best option.

I'm unclear if the KP aperture design is more similar to the k-3 or the k-s1 so I'd suggest more research there if that camera interests you.

I personally shoot with a k-3.
08-05-2020, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One additional thought is that the K-01, K-5, K-3 and K-1 all use the same battery. The K30, K-50, K-70 and KP use a different, smaller battery. Not a huge issue of course but if you are keeping the K-01 then you can share batteries with a K-3 or K-3II.

K-3 is a bit dated but is a solid 'pro' level DSLR with a list of features that is a little amazing.
08-05-2020, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The KP might be quite a bit more expensive than what you are comfortable paying, but it should have a similar "vibe" to your K-01, with improved... everything really!

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a K-3 (and I guess many will go on sale once Pentax releases their next APS-C flagship in... hopefully some months).
08-05-2020, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrbacco Quote
. . . that I can use with the set of lenses I have with my K-01? . . .
QuoteQuote:
Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2018 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens, look under DA lenses, etc. . . .
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
08-05-2020, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I would go with a K3, even as a beginner user it is easy to use but has all of the functions that many advanced users love. I have been shooting on a K5 since it came out (workhorse of a camera, still regularly use it) but just picked up a second hand K3 from KEH for under $500 USD with only 2300 clicks on the shutter. Despite being "older" the K3 and the K5 are beasts in their own way. K3's are rated to 200k acuations on the shutter. Some other awesome features the K3 offers (and frankly I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better Pentax DSLR in terms of features until you get to the K1 or 645) is the dual SD card slots, 8.3 FPS, the 86k Pixel meter seems worlds better than the 77-Segment meter on my K5, you also get 27 AF points, better AF system than the K5 or K70, though a downside is the slightly lower dynamic range on the K3 additionally the K3 has a sizable buffer as well. The rear LCD is also much better on the K3 than the K5 or K70, 1.037m dots, and a 3:2 aspect ratio, the K70 does have a flip screen which would be nice to have but for me personally was not a deal breaker. The resolution on the K3 is just a bit higher on paper (though in actual use this is not likely to make any kind of noticeable difference.)

TL;DR my personal recommendation would be the K3 due to its ruggedness, low cost of ownership, and the ability to use it as an entry level camera with relative ease and continue using it well into being an advanced user.
08-05-2020, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You possibly but unlikely could find a KP in your price range, if so that's your most advanced option and best for for IQ, low light, AF, etc, if not the K-3 series is excellent too. Neither KP nor K-3 use the same aperture block as the K-70, K-S1, KS-2, K-50, or K-30.
08-05-2020, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrbacco Quote
Thanks, I read the specs and it looks like a fun_tastic gear to have ... no- problem for being bigger and heavier, I will keep the K-01 thou cause it is a great camera. Thanks.
It's not large compared to similarly spec'd cameras from other manufacturers - in fact it's quite smaller than a Canon 80D or Nikon D7x00... I was saying in relation to your K-01, and to the K-S1, it will definitely feel a bit larger. But not overly so... I was surprised when I picked one up, I expected it to be larger from the pictures I saw. And it feels amazing in the hands!
08-05-2020, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
K-3 is a bit dated but is a solid 'pro' level DSLR with a list of features that is a little amazing.
Well, it's an older camera now, but I'm not sure it's dated...

24 megapixels is still pretty current, and I would say the sensor can give some fantastic images... the truth is that in the last 5 or so years, not much has changed in terms of sensor technology. Which is why Pentax had to develop an "accelerator chip" to get better ISO performance.

I would argue that for someone who shoots JPEG files rather than develops RAW files, a K-70 or KP might be of interest based on developments of the JPEG engine. But the K-70 can have the aperture issue, and the KP I think is a bit above the OP's budget, so I'd say the K-3 is probably the best fit, in my humble opinion.