Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2020, 09:41 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well, it's an older camera now, but I'm not sure it's dated...
I just meant its "older". It is, of course, the current APS-C flagship. And would be my suggestion to the OP. Just semantics, I didn't mean anything derogatory by it.

I guess another thing for the OP to ponder would be: K-3 or K-3II? I have both. My wife uses the K-3 and I use the K-3II. For my work GPS is essential and it also adds the astrotracer which is quite amazing. I'm not sure what the price difference is these days but GPS and Astrotracer might be worth the difference. Better SR and Pixel Shift are also in the K-3II.

08-05-2020, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit
Introduction
The Pentax O-GPS1 unit is a small accessory unit that attaches to any K-01, K-5, K-r or 645D (or newer) camera flash hotshoe and provides geotagging of images (latitude, longitude, elevation), an electronic compass, and a simple navigator function. The GPS function also has the option of keeping the camera clock up-to-date. It was announced in June, 2011 and made available shortly thereafter.

Read more at: Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteQuote:
O-GPS1 vs Built-in GPS Guide
Introduction

We receive lots of requests for comparisons between the O-GPS1 unit and cameras with built-in GPS. Pentax released the O-GPS1 to complement the K-5 and provide the camera with in-camera Astrotracing capacity. Over time that feature has been popular enough to warrant an evolution to in-camera GPS units in models such as the K-3 II and K-1. There are differences and some surprises. To spoil the article's main findings up front, we found that the most important factor in astrotracer accuracy was GPS calibration quality, not model, camera age, or O-GPS1 vs. in-camera GPS. We also found that the second-most important factor was camera direction and relative angle to the horizon. Also important was the camera's shake reduction capability (more stops of stabilization generally correlated to longer tracing accuracy). Unimporant in performance was GPS location, internal or external, except that we found internal GPS systems harder to calibrate than the external GPS systems.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/o-gps1-vs-built-in-astrotracer/introduc...#ixzz6UGTCyPm8
08-05-2020, 12:04 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lots of good advice on cameras already. I have a K-30, KS2 and K-70, not one of them has had the aperture block problem, but that's not to say it won't. The K-70 is available new for about your budget, and the discussions I have seen indicate that the K-70 CAN have the aperture block problem, but it is significantly better than it was.

What I really wanted to advise you on; if you want to get better at photography, is a book. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is an excellent book, not very expensive, and reading it really improved my understanding of photography. It will make far more of a difference than a new camera.
08-05-2020, 02:33 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the comments on my post ... today chance has that my K-01 shutter has decided to literally shut down its operations ... might need to take this into consideration in my choice ... cheers everyone ...

08-05-2020, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #20
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. As the owner of both a K-01 and a K-3 I can say they are both good cameras.
08-05-2020, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrbacco Quote
Thanks everyone for the comments on my post ... today chance has that my K-01 shutter has decided to literally shut down its operations ... might need to take this into consideration in my choice ... cheers everyone ...
Thats a shame,great little camera.

So looks like you have to replace it,KP is what I suggest.They do pop up at around what you want to pay,sometimes less.
08-05-2020, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

as I thought -

the OP would get a lot of opinions and suggestions on what to get

all I know is whatever the OP decides

that will be the best camera for the OP

a lot might depend on what is available where the OP is located

08-05-2020, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another big vote in favor of trying for the KP! Even if you have to save up the money! If you land one in top shape with low use, it has a very durable metal construction build quality with WR (strong but lightweight magnesium alloy), yet is compact for its class, which should deliver many years of pleasure and great results for you. The KP will afford you major gains in image quality and in greater capability such as in low light photography, which is even superior to the K-3. Its controls and features also represent a major upgrade for you. Its tilting rear screen is great for shooting from overhead or on a tripod set at a lower position.

The KP's in-camera processor is also exceptional if you like the convenience of JPEG images right out of he camera. Just avoid having your mode dial set to the green "Auto" position, which disables many controls and adjustments. Use the "P" mode instead for fully automatic exposure, and remember to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the "Custom Image" processing menus, especially in the most often-used "Bright" category. This is easy to do, accessible via the "info" button.

Welcome to the forum! We are here for you to help in any way we can.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-07-2020 at 11:23 AM.
08-05-2020, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #24

Photos: Albums
The K3 is an excellent camera I have put 200,000 image through mine and it still keeps working. I am also familiar with the KP and use it when I want a smaller camera it is also a great box you can not go wrong with either one. The K0-1 is a funny little box I have one of them also I wish they had made a K0-2 with a view finder I think the thickness of the camera would not have been a deal breaker
08-06-2020, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would agree with a K-3 or K-3ii suggested or the KP if you have the extra cost. I would avoid any Pentax with the solonoid aperture block issue...K30, K50, K-S1, K-S2 and K-70...did I forget any?

08-06-2020, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrbacco Quote
Hello.
Just out of curiosity : at how many shots your shutter has failed ?
08-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Praktica*ist Quote
Hello.
Just out of curiosity : at how many shots your shutter has failed ?
hi there.... I think around 3840

---------- Post added 08-06-20 at 08:08 AM ----------

sorry ~ 10,300 ...
08-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #28
Forum Member

Just above 10k clicks ? That is quite a low count !
08-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #29

Original Poster
yeah ... funny thing I read a post yesterday about this issue on this forum, sharing my experience with that and then K-01 died on me right after ...
08-10-2020, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I continue to think that the K-3-1st Gen is not only the best entry into Pentax... it might also hold the best value of any camera regardless of brand. It can usually be had for $350-400 US (I got mine used for $275, so sometimes you can find them even cheaper). The main features (that aren't in earlier cameras): AA-simulator, better AF, 2-card slots, 24MP, better ISO performance, 7fps, more rugged parts. As much as I loved my old K-5, the jump in features is pretty substantial for the price. At 24MP, it also gives the same IQuality (assuming ideal conditions in terms of lighting) as their most recent cameras (KP/K-70), so you're not really missing out on things. It does lack Pixel-shift and/or Astro, but there hasn't really been a huge advance since this camera IMO. If you were to ever upgrade at any point, it will still have value as a 2nd-option too. I still use it a lot even though I have K-1, due to it having a higher fps/buffer + the 1.5x crop can come in handy.