Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #31

Original Poster
Gentlepeople, your valuable opinion is requested: On another forum [photography focused forum, not on a specific brand] I found the following post:

QuoteQuote:
...Like Nikon, Pentax has tried to maintain compatibility - originally through ‘screw-drive’ lenses, where power for AF is provided by a motor in the body ...
Anyway, their first two auto-focus lens series were the “F” and “FA” lenses, both of which had aperture rings which gave the user control {as well as having an ‘A’ setting which turned control over to the body}. These are ...
Do you think is worth to try to not send back my KS-1 and rely on the manual aperture on the lenses or not a good idea? Cheers

08-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrbacco Quote
Gentlepeople, your valuable opinion is requested: On another forum [photography focused forum, not on a specific brand] I found the following post:

Do you think is worth to try to not send back my KS-1 and rely on the manual aperture on the lenses or not a good idea? Cheers
Several forum members use bodies with busted aperture as dedicated m42 bodies...
08-13-2020, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #33
Forum Member

If you can cope with manual metering on the field, by using the green button, it is a viable option. I've done so for a decade !

There are plenty of Pentax (or compatible) lenses that still have an aperture ring.
It is a bit slower method of taking photos. You have to remember clicking the green button when lighting conditions or aperture change.
Apart from that, after a bit of practice, it is absolutely feasible and enjoyable.

The only thing you will miss is flash automation. So if your practice involves flash, you are out of luck and should have our K-S1 repaired.
08-14-2020, 01:38 AM   #34

Original Poster
Understood folks thanks!

08-29-2020, 05:45 AM   #35

Original Poster
finally, just FYI folks, to end this thread ... I got a present!!! ... funny enough is an almost new KS1 ! was a demo in a shop ... this time seems to be functioning properly ...
08-29-2020, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a K3 and a KP. The image quality on the KP is better, as is the high iso handling but the iso is the only one that is significant. I shoot with both in the single in and get great results from the K3, also the K3 has a better battery and more third party support when it comes to things like battery grips. The grip is more comfortable on the K3 too. Don't get me wrong, my KP is my baby but the K3 never sits in reserve for very long. I paid £275 for my K3 with only 400 actuations. 20k on it hasn't missed a beat and is still probably worth more than I paid
08-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have a K3 and a KP. The image quality on the KP is better, as is the high iso handling but the iso is the only one that is significant. I shoot with both in the single in and get great results from the K3, also the K3 has a better battery and more third party support when it comes to things like battery grips. The grip is more comfortable on the K3 too. Don't get me wrong, my KP is my baby but the K3 never sits in reserve for very long. I paid £275 for my K3 with only 400 actuations. 20k on it hasn't missed a beat and is still probably worth more than I paid
yeah ... I was hoping to get a K3II or a KP, but too expensive, then I got this present out of the blue ...

08-29-2020, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yeah ... I was hoping to get a K3II or a KP, but too expensive, then I got this present out of the blue ...
The KS1 is cool. Pepperberry farm picked one up and I was very impressed. I loved my K30, that sensor is sweet, and would still be using it if I hadn't needed cash for an amazing deal on the KP